The impact of leveling up
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Mosman22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

The impact of leveling up

I have seen signs that the game modifies certain things based on your level. I have only reached lvl 5 so far but it seems the wandering monsters have gotten tougher even around the starter towns. Plus I have played with 2 different characters. The first time I tried this one dungeon at lvl 2 and had a tough time but cleared it out. The 2nd time around I entered it with a lvl 4chracter with better equipment, but by the second room I ran into this guy who wasn't there the first time who had a huge hammer, seemingly a ton of HP, and even cast cure spells on himself when I thought I might actually have a chance. Fought the guy, got my ass kicked, and reloaded like 10 times before giving up on that cave. So anyway my question is.... Does the game scale every area and dungeon to the max effect in every part of the world? If I go into a dungeon just outside Balmora with a lvl 20 chracter, will I be facing Fire Daedra instead of Ancestor Ghosts? And does the difficulty lvl lock for a dungeon once you enter it? In other words, if I enter a dungeon early in the game with a lvl 1 character will it always contain easy monsters? Or will it be restocked with top-of-the-line killers when I return 2 (game) months later with a lvl 20 character? And if monsters scale in difficulty, what about the treasure you find?

I'm concerned about this because I am starting to gain lvls pretty quickly. As the Gamespot review pointed out, combat power seems more tied to the equipment on hand then the character's lvl and abilities. So if I wander around the early stages leveling up without aquiring to many good items, I fear that I will be stuck combating overly tough monsters I am ill-equiped to handle.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 7:42 pm
Wabbit

Re: The impact of leveling up

That's a lot of questions

"I have seen signs that the game modifies certain things based on your level."
-- yes you are completely correct

"Does the game scale every area and dungeon to the max effect in every part of the world?"
-- in my experience, yes. Some dungeons contain a combination of level-responsive and non-responsive monsters though.

"If I go into a dungeon just outside Balmora with a lvl 20 chracter, will I be facing Fire Daedra instead of Ancestor Ghosts?"
-- Something along those lines.

"does the difficulty lvl lock for a dungeon once you enter it?"
-- Nope, you can go back to the same dungeon over and over again, it will progress, however the static treasure will be gone, i.e. the chests are only filled the first time you go in, any later visit is just for experience and random loot from the monsters, particularly soul gems.

" And if monsters scale in difficulty, what about the treasure you find?"
-- see previous response, you only get filled treasure chests once, and it's determined by the level you entered the cave at. Treasure that monsters drop is determined by their level, so some people argue that one should save dungeons until higher level to get better loot from the chests.

"I'm concerned about this because I am starting to gain lvls pretty quickly. As the Gamespot review pointed out, combat power seems more tied to the equipment on hand then the character's lvl and abilities."
-- probably not anything to worry too seriously about. I think the Gamespot review exaggerates that issue or misstates it, i.e. in my opinion a character who does not have a ton of uber loot will be challenged, a character with the loot will be bored. Plus most of the greatest loot seems to be placed in the world, not randomly generated, and if for instance your character gets to a high level and does not have an awesome enchanted sword to your liking, you can have one enchanted for you or enchant it yourself.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:14 pm

Hyperion
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I have not noticed a difference with monsters when I level up. I did one dungeon with a level 2 character had some difficulty. I did the same dungeon with a level 10 guy and had a cake walk.
Post Mon May 13, 2002 8:15 pm