Should I get Gothic (1)?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Should I get Gothic (1)?

Ok...I'm catching up on RPGs that have come out over the past year or so (I had a mac and now I'm using a PC laptop so there's lots of catch up to do!) What I'm wondering about is the combat system in Gothic.

The game is first person right? Is combat a twitch fest since it's a real time game? If it helps provide me advice I'll offer a comparison:

I played Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64 and was unable to complete it due to being unable to physically handle the buttons on the controller fast enough. I got about 75% through and was totally able to complete a quest in order to continue the game. The same thing happened to me in Sonic 2 on the dreamcast. I dead ended because I couldn't manuever my character fast enough and with enough finesse.

Based on these capabilities...or lack thereof...would I likely get frustrated with Gothic. (FWIW....I liked MM6 and MM7, Wiz8, Planescape, and yes even Dungeon Siege is ok.)
Post Tue May 28, 2002 7:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actually, this is an over-the-shoulder 3rd person view game set in a 3D world. You have nothing to worry about in combat. It's not a 'twitch-fest'. The controls are based on the keyboard. You don't even need a mouse to play. I don't care for fps or twitch games, but I picked up the controls for Gothic very quickly and found them easy to use. I'd suggest you try out the demo and see how you like it. I think you can find it on fileplanet.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 8:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Especially on a notebook you should try the demo. Gothic is a bit sensitive concerning hardware and needs a lot of graphics power.
The demo is the beginning of the game.
You can find various links to download sites on www.ToTheGame.com .
Post Tue May 28, 2002 8:22 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Thanks for the recommendation for the demo...duh...sometimes I can be so dense.
Post Tue May 28, 2002 8:40 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

One thing, stay with the controls. A lot of people don't like them at first, but once you learn them they're great. I haven't seen a control system as nice as Gothic's yet!
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Wed May 29, 2002 1:26 pm
Andy22
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
One thing, stay with the controls. A lot of people don't like them at first, but once you learn them they're great. I haven't seen a control system as nice as Gothic's yet!

Ditto!
Post Wed May 29, 2002 7:07 pm
Luk@$z

Yes, you should. I don't like RPG, but Gothic... it's super. If you like view from 3rd person and like RPG with real time fight, Gothic is game for you!
I recomended it.
Post Fri May 31, 2002 10:27 am