Tradeskills?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

Tradeskills?

any game out there with a great tradeskill system? Besides Everquest as I felt that alot of the cooler tradeskills cost way too much to even play with. Like making drinks....or leatherworking(not sure if thats the name for it)... leatherworking still required you to be a great hunter as well as an expert at the skill.....brewing required you to pay huge amounts of money and get not even a little in return. Yadda yadda yadda.....
Post Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:34 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

A Tale in the Desert is a crafter's and trader's dream.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:47 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Val
A Tale in the Desert is a crafter's and trader's dream.

I certainly wouldn't argue with that. ATITD is all about crafting, so long live the King!

But if you're looking for a more "traditional" MMORPG with combat, DAoC has decent trade-skills, although they do require some investment. All of them can be profitable though, there's no doubt about that. But you'll need to advance to some healthy skill ranks before you can turn in some profits.

EDIT: added "" on the word "traditional" because quite honestly I'm not even sure if traditional is the right word for what I mean... but, oh well!
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:30 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

As Ekim said, I would say DAoC definitely if you are looking for traditional type MMORPG with hunting and questing. In DAoC you can actually earn doing crafting but getting to be a high level crafter requires huge time and money (ingame money) investment. There is traditional skills which you can use to manufacture weapons, armor, clothing, arrows, bows etc. Then there are special trade skills that you can use to apply magical effects to the normal items you have crafted. You can craft poisons (which can be applied to weapons) and potions (which grant stat bonuses etc). After all, the DAoC crafting system is pretty diverse.

However, the bad point there is that you need to have a support person to be able to get a high level crafter. You can earn some money doing crafting tasks/consignments for the town NPCs but it is slow (requires lots of running) but after a certain crafting skill level tasks are not available. High level crafting requires *LOTS* of cash because the materials cost a ton. Also, getting very high level materials is not easy since some of the highest materials are only available in frontier keeps, and sometimes the keeps are owned by the enemy realm. Also travelling on the frontier alone is risky even if you are level 50.

The second bad point in DAoCs crafting system is the tedium required to craft. You have to click and wait, thousands of times, and the higher level items you are making the higher the waiting time is when manufacturing it.

Anyway, if you are a person who likes crafting and can accept these above issues the crafting system in DAoC is good and versatile. I have never been a "crafter" (I like to quest, hunt etc) so I wore bored pretty quick. I got several medium level crafters during my way to 50s in DAoC but thats it. I never got to make anything exiting
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:00 am
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree ATITD would be a great game...BUT....I hate the whole running for hours to get anywhere thingy. I have better things to do with my time then sit there and wait a humongous amounts of time just to pick up a few things. I might try DAOC....but don't want to play a game with a low population.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:55 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

DAoC does not have low population! Atleast not the U.S. servers. I don't know about European servers since even I am european I have always played on U.S. servers.

On peak time the more populated U.S. servers have 1000 - 2000 players which is plenty. (Check e.g. Guinevere server)

... I checked the Euro servers and population ranges between 780 - 1875 depending on server.

When I played it actively I always tought it was crowded in DAoC
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:17 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
I agree ATITD would be a great game...BUT....I hate the whole running for hours to get anywhere thingy. I have better things to do with my time then sit there and wait a humongous amounts of time just to pick up a few things. I might try DAOC....but don't want to play a game with a low population.

What Xanaki said
Play on the Guinevere server, which is among those that never fall below 1000 in population whatever the time of day (or night)! DAoC is probably the second most populated game these days, right after EQ, so there is no fear to be had there
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:44 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

Oh, you're on Guinevere I originally played there as well, up to level 44 with my paladin. Then I went to Iseult (bit less crowd and non RP server) and managed to get my Skald to 50.

I have to come back to DAoC one day.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:24 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by Xanaki
Oh, you're on Guinevere I originally played there as well, up to level 44 with my paladin. Then I went to Iseult (bit less crowd and non RP server) and managed to get my Skald to 50.

I have to come back to DAoC one day.

I used to play on Guinever but moved to Geheris. But I play on and off these days. Not a lot. I keep coming back to it all the time after trying other games.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:47 pm