Completed It (No Spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Completed It (No Spoilers)

What can I say? What a rush. The last chapter was insane... even for a level 18 wizard. And I feel Irenicus had nothing on the endurance fight that was the final battle...

The story was a LOT better than I expected. A lot. All in all a great game... and I'm going to note that in my review. Definately looking at an 85 to 90.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:46 am
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

I for one am really happy that you finished it
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 9:38 am
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

Well done EverythingXen - I know what you mean about the ending - kinda makes all the fights in BG2 seem a bit quick and easy (even the Demogorgon in Watchers Keep).

Now I suppose I should go back to Morrowind (NWN kinda distracted me )
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 12:20 pm
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

I've only made it thru Chapter 2. I'm still finishing up some of the side quests before hitting Luskan.

Now I'll have to back off since my hubby came home with an XBox version of Morrowind. He was so proud of himself! Unfortunately, he didn't know about my NWN addiction, but I can't punish the behaviour!

So I'll be playing NWN about half the time now (~ 1 hour a day) while I go back to ESM and see if I can make it without being able to drop a few hundred thou on my char. Can't wait til XBox gets connected. Mods would be nice.

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:55 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm glad to see someone liked the story...
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:33 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The story was no worse than half the crap that gets printed as novels for the Forgotten Realms.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:13 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
The story was no worse than half the crap that gets printed as novels for the Forgotten Realms.

Lucky me, I don't read those...
Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:57 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Some of them are really good. Others... aren't. But most of them are readable, if nothing else. And I found the story in NWN single-player quite readable.

Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I just can't get over how everybody treats my character like an imbecil and my character treats everybody else like an imbecil. One of the main gripes I have is when you learn some major new info, yet when you talk to other characters, you keep asking them "new info? what is that?"
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 1:04 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That can't be avoided without opening the door to all sorts of 'broken quest bugs'. There hasn't been a game yet where the NPCs are all updated on the fly as to what you've done.... though some do better than others with flags and variables.

Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:19 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I fully understand what you're saying. I'm not sure what specifically bugs me about the dialog. It's more a feeling I'm left with at the end of the day. I know I never felt that way in Gothic. Or Fallout. I don't even recall feeling it so strongly in Planescape or the BG series.

I think that the dialog in NWN SP attempts to get you all emotionally roused up by giving a lot of "emotion" to the dialog. Unfortunately, I can't operate on high emotional level all the time. I find it hard to suspend my disbelief when I have to fake surprise about a topic for the 8th time, when I could write volumes on it by now.

I suppose even an occassional "get info from A and use it on B" would do. But all the NPCs are extremely inert. They say what they say and you reply to them like you were just born, since we can't assume you've spoken to a single NPC up to this point. It misses character. It fails to involve me. It kills my desire to want to explore. I feel like there is no reason to talk to any NPCs what so ever. No matter what I do or say, the things that are supposed to happen will happen.

Ah well... again... don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing NWN. I just find that it's too cut and paste when it comes to telling its story and that aspect takes away some fun for me.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:04 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I see your point. I just tried to ignore repeat dialogue options and focus on the 'new' options. You hit it right on the head... unfortunately, the game MUST assume you have never spoken to an NPC before unless one of the predetermined flags goes off... like what happens when a quest is issued or completed. Plus sometimes you'll have missed a clue and need to hear an NPC speech again. The journal is pretty good about keeping you on target, but sometimes I find it sinks in better if you get the ingor straight from the NPCs mouthes...

I didn't find it any worse than in BG2 where a merchant says the exact same thing every time, or townsfolk have two sayings a piece. Maybe I'm just oblvious to it after all this time with dialogue-branch CRPGs...

Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:56 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen

I don’t suppose you’re thinking about the Greenwood novels?
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:48 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

*grumble*
I envy your ability to suspend your disbelief (and disgruntlemnt).

With the 4th stone in my pocket, after I just spent 3 (out of 4) chapters learning about and looking for the other 3 stones, I come across Haedraline and what's my dialog option?

"Words of Power? Source stone? What's that?"

I'm sorry, but at this point I almost uninstalled the game. I didn't, because I'm hoping I will find the strength to actually try and make some modules that will not be so utterly rediculous. I mean, was the above line really that necessary?
Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 4:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Probably not... I agree, lines like that make you want to throttle someone.

Me bash a greenwood novel? Never.

I'm actually re-reading Spellfire since it's been about a decade. I stand by my initial assessment. Good characters, but too many of them... and a... well... ridiculous focus on super-powerful-enemies attacking at random.

But let's not sidetrack a thread ...

Post Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:58 pm