Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Installing/loading is slow, and other problems!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Petah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Installing/loading is slow, and other problems!

Hello all,

I recently purchased Gothic 2, I saw a friend of mine play it, it runned really good and beautiful.

I put the CD in my PC's drive, and it started the autorun. When I clicked "Install Gothic 2" , it took really(and I mean really!)long, maybe like 10 minutes before the installation started. When it finally started, the installation went VERY slow, it said it would take 239 minutes, I'm happy that wasn't true, but it did take long, my friend installed the whole game in 5 minutes, it ook me like half an hour.

When i installed it, I started the game. It went to play movies from JoWooD and Piranha bytes, when the movie from Piranha bytes started, I pressed spacebar, because I didn't want to see it. The game froze, and it didn't go back tow indows, it just frozed. So I restarted my PC.

When I started the game again, I just let the movies play, this time it didn't freeze. I tried to skip a movie again as a test, and it froze again.

I just don't get it, why is the installation so damn slow, and why can't I skip the movies? I know the friend I talked about has a faster PC then mine:

I got:

AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (Around 1.6 GhZ)
GeForce 2 MX 400 (32 MB which works with all the games I have)
256 MB SD-RAM

My friend got (somethings maybe not right 100%)

Pentium 4, 3 GhZ
A very good graphics card(a really new one)
512 DDR or SD Ram

I know it's normal his game runs faster and installation too. But mine really runs much slower then it should run.

Please help me out!

Thanks in advance,

Petah.
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 6:57 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Im not sure why it took so long to install but it usually takes a while for the initial load... To skip movies press Esc or something, they can be disabled in the Gothic.ini file if you just want to skip them completely. Pressing space bar doesnt actually freeze the movies it just pauses them.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:06 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Did you disable virus protections? Also if you have a dsl, it needs to be turned off. It will eat up ram and really slow down everything.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:02 am
Petah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hmm, I will see. But I now played the games sometimes, and what I noticed is that the game itself also freezes sometimes, the green lights of my PC don't go on or something, so my PC isnt really busy. But it doesn't go on with the game. I really don't get it, is this the know crash problem? Or is this something else, I have the visual settings of the game very low, I need some help...
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:58 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

This game is real memory hog. Even with hugh ram, it uses as much as you can give it I think. Do simple things first, if you haven't. Make sure all other programs are off that you don't need. I read a thread for Gorath I think that said the farm and the city of Khronis would do that to most people, so keep that in mind. Be sure to save often, in case you do hit bug or a crash. Be sure to defrage system before playing. I was amased at how much the game does fragment my system after only a few days. Keep eye on that one. I hope someone else has something for you. If you are still having problems, just keep posting.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:29 pm
Petah
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for your help, but what I was wondering now:

Would patch the game help to remove some bugs? I couldn't find any patches on some official websites of Gothic 2.
Post Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:01 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

There is no English patch. The German patches are included in the release version.

Stuttering is normal on your system. You have a slow graphics card (effectively a GeForce 2) and slow + not enough RAM.
Post Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:28 pm