Introducing Age of Decadence
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Introducing Age of Decadence

While we're talking about indie games, this might be a good time to introduce 'Age of Decadence', an RPG in development by <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/" target="_blank">RPG Codex</a> staffer Vault Dweller and team. Here's a description:<blockquote><em>Age of Decadence (working title) is an isometric, turn-based fantasy game set in a low magic, post-apocalyptic setting. The game features a skill-based system, non-linear gameplay, multiple skill-based ways to handle quests, choices & consequences, and massive dialogue trees.
<br>
<br>The in-game events take place a few hundred years after the fall of an Empire caused by magical destruction and devastation during a war against a rival kingdom. The game is focused on a single character who acquires a map leading to a pre-war temple. The temple used to belong to some deity associated with the war that caused the decline. Whether or not there was an actual deity is unclear as the war was a long time ago and all that's left are legends and ruined cities. The legends say that the war was so terrible that both sides called for some supernatural forces that fought alongside men. Then again, legends always say something like that. What happened next is the part that nobody is sure of.
<br>
<br>The setting is low magic, which means that you won't be able to play as a magician, won't be able to learn and cast magic spells, and won't be able to find a +1 sword, whatever that means. To compensate you for that loss, we offer you a variety of distinctive character builds like assassin and loremaster, and a crafting system that will allow you to upgrade and tinker with your equipment.</em></blockquote>There's no site as yet but head <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=18" target="_blank">here</a> for the official forum, which includes many discussions that helped form the game mechanics. In addition, there's some <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/gallery.php?game=ageofdec" target="_blank">concept art and screens</a>, more screens showing some dialogue <a href="http://img153.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and finally some rather nice animations <a href="http://img117.imageshack.us/img_viewer.php?loc=img117&image=hfwalk19ao.gif&gal=img153/7476/screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://img153.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=screenshot19sn.jpg" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:07 pm

I'm sure the game is going to be a masterpiece. Since they bitch and complain about everything and everyone, I'm sure they will use these years of "experience" to make something mindblowing...

Judging by the screenshot, I can surely see a winner there. The first thing I think when I see it is "post-apocalyptic masterpiece". Well, except the post-apocalyptic and the masterpiece parts.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:12 pm

lol .. i couldn't agree more. That site (along some other Fallout fan sites) has to be the most biased and narrow minded on the whole web. If it's not isometric and turn based .. it's just garbage. I'm sure they'll show the whole gaming community how to develop a proper RPG and how Bioware games sucks compared to their post-apoc roman themed RPG .. Lol some more
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:50 pm

Whip-0

Well, it's a great indie effort - and while a lot of RPG Codex regulars shun Bioware games as "shallow" and "linear", I think we're all aware that Bio has a sizeable budget. What's AoD got? A comparison 'tween say NWN and AoD is just stupid - at least from a market perspective. Everyone dooesn't like indie games, but for those that do, I'm sure this will be quite a treat. And as for Vault Dweller - at least he does something about not liking the current trend in crpgs, rather than just babble and moan about it.

Oh, and by the way... LOL. Ehum.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:09 pm

ShadowMoses
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

AoD looks very promising and Bioware games do suck!

-=:ASHES:=- || -=:Xenus-hq:=-
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:20 pm

Its a shame people here have to be such dumbasses but I guess this is who we have to thank for the current state of the cRPG industry. If you morons wouldnt go out and buy shit maybe developers wouldnt make it. Have fun playing your consolized interactive fiction.

I wish VD the best of luck. We need more decent cRPGs on the market. This one looks like a step above Spiderweb games graphically and those boys have a good sense of what makes RPGs worthwhile too. I do have my doubts it will get completed since most indie efforts to do this sort of thing dont pan out.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:18 pm

I'm sorry but.. what's your perception of the "current state of cRPGs" ?

If you say the golden era of cRPGs is over, i agree with you but that's because the gaming industry has become a battefield, everyone struggling for survival and one single mistakes could put you out of bussines for good.

What many of you fail to understand is that developers\publishers are human beings like us and they have families. With that in mind, if isometric/turn based sells 1k while first person/real time sells 10k, explain to me why these individuals aren't allowed to sell products for a larger profit. You're the owner of a candy shop, you make vanilla stuff to please a VERY SMALL piece of your customers base and risk to go bankrupt or you make choccolate stuff to please the MAJORITY of your customers? Are you aware of development costs? Do you know how many hours a week these people work? Why should i work my butt off to barely cover the cost of production so i can please the averange bitcher on Rpg Codex?

It's simple as that and with that said, i applaud people willing to develop their own indie games as they see fit. The cold truth is, Rpg Codex can bitch and humorize on Bioware games all they want but games like Kotor sold millions of copies and if millions of people bought their product there must be a reason for it, or should i believe millions of people are dumbarses ignorant and you're the enlighten one? You tell me
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:43 pm

Whip-0

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
...games like Kotor sold millions of copies and if millions of people bought their product there must be a reason for it, or should i believe millions of people are dumbarses ignorant and you're the enlighten one? You tell me

Yes?

No seriously, I enjoyed Kotor very much - a lot better Star Wars feeling than Lucas been giving us lately (cough). That being said, it's not a very non-linear game or a game that offers many options as how to play. You are a jedi, you are a certain person (spoilers averted), you have to take a long a bunch of nagging npc's wheter you like them or not. I didn't like Morrowind, it felt empty and NWN was a corridor romp - wheter "indoor" or "outdoor". On the other hand Gothic I and II are some somewhat recent stellar games... so I don't think the PC RPG market is dead, or at least not commercially, yet.

Me I like choices, ramifications of choices and the suffering of HAVING to choose. Consumer's today are generally stupid, ignorant and driven by marketing. Can anyone deny that?
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:10 pm

quote:
I'm sorry but.. what's your perception of the "current state of cRPGs" ?

If you say the golden era of cRPGs is over, i agree with you but that's because the gaming industry has become a battefield, everyone struggling for survival and one single mistakes could put you out of bussines for good.

What many of you fail to understand is that developers\publishers are human beings like us and they have families. With that in mind, if isometric/turn based sells 1k while first person/real time sells 10k, explain to me why these individuals aren't allowed to sell products for a larger profit. You're the owner of a candy shop, you make vanilla stuff to please a VERY SMALL piece of your customers base and risk to go bankrupt or you make choccolate stuff to please the MAJORITY of your customers? Are you aware of development costs? Do you know how many hours a week these people work? Why should i work my butt off to barely cover the cost of production so i can please the averange bitcher on Rpg Codex?

It's simple as that and with that said, i applaud people willing to develop their own indie games as they see fit. The cold truth is, Rpg Codex can bitch and humorize on Bioware games all they want but games like Kotor sold millions of copies and if millions of people bought their product there must be a reason for it, or should i believe millions of people are dumbarses ignorant and you're the enlighten one? You tell me

If I remember right the original Ultima was made by ONE guy. Plenty of deep and involving golden era games were made with very small dev teams in comparison to today and many of those games had far deeper gameplay and more robust character development systems than modern titles. You dont need millions of dollars and 120 hour work weeks to make a decent cRPG. you didnt need them before and you dont need them now. Of course, if you need time to idiot proof the game and make it a graphical spectacle with tons of expensive voice acting a tight narrative then, ya, it could get costly Im sure. Hey, have fun playing the next jRPG abortion or the latest in action/adventure games with roleplaying elements.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:21 pm

Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Game looks great. The char stat page looks very involved. The option given for just appraising an item are great. This looks like my type of game. I hope it does well. I know I'll buy it.

That being said: "If it's not isometric and turn based .. it's just garbage." This is a nonsense statement. Every argument I got in with a rpgcodex guy has been on this subject. They like Diablo, and are drooling over Hellgate, and they think Fate was the bomb digiity. They ignore all the bugs in certain games by small dev teams (like PtD) but wont even give DL a chance because of them (which is a crap ass action game, but so is diablo, fate, and Hellgate). I don't care about isometric or not, I just care about char cretaion, char dev, roleplaying, and TB combat. Relams of Arkania is a good example of 1st person and isometric mix. But isomtric is defeinitly the best choice for TB combat, just as 1st person is the best choice for twitch games like gothic.

If people like TB and isometric why would that make you angry? I wish there were a site where people that liked tb and isomtric could find safe harbor from the fake rpg lovers, but rpg codex isnt that site.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:48 pm
VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
I wish VD the best of luck. We need more decent cRPGs on the market. This one looks like a step above Spiderweb games graphically and those boys have a good sense of what makes RPGs worthwhile too. I do have my doubts it will get completed since most indie efforts to do this sort of thing dont pan out.

I can't promise you that the game will be great, but it will be completed. We've done too much to quit now.

quote:
The cold truth is, Rpg Codex can bitch and humorize on Bioware games all they want but games like Kotor sold millions of copies and if millions of people bought their product there must be a reason for it, or should i believe millions of people are dumbarses ignorant and you're the enlighten one? You tell me

Wow, what a great argument. Based on that a game like Planescape: Torment must really suck, and all those people who complained about too much reading are absolutely right. Anyway, it's not about ignorance, it's about massmarket. Some games are aimed at massmarket, some games are not. Simple as that.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:50 pm

RPGDot's RPG totally owns RPGCodex's RPG

OH WAIT
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:59 pm

VDweller
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Roqua
That being said: "If it's not isometric and turn based .. it's just garbage." This is a nonsense statement. Every argument I got in with a rpgcodex guy has been on this subject. They like Diablo, and are drooling over Hellgate, and they think Fate was the bomb digiity.

Let's not generalize, Roqua. SOME people, not all.

quote:
They ignore all the bugs in certain games by small dev teams (like PtD) but wont even give DL a chance because of them (which is a crap ass action game, but so is diablo, fate, and Hellgate).

Unlike DL, PtD has a lot more to offer than HAWT AKSHUN combat. That's why.
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:00 pm
Ugh

Hellgate? Haha... I think there's one guy at the Codex that's wetting his pants about that game. I don't think naming is of any use...
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:10 pm

quote:
If I remember right the original Ultima was made by ONE guy. Plenty of deep and involving golden era games were made with very small dev teams in comparison to today and many of those games had far deeper gameplay and more robust character development systems than modern titles. You dont need millions of dollars and 120 hour work weeks to make a decent cRPG. you didnt need them before and you dont need them now. Of course, if you need time to idiot proof the game and make it a graphical spectacle with tons of expensive voice acting a tight narrative then, ya, it could get costly Im sure. Hey, have fun playing the next jRPG abortion or the latest in action/adventure games with roleplaying elements.

So you're saying this game will be the next masterpiece, that will join all those old classics in the gaming Olimpo???
It's funny, you probably haven't played it, you saw a screenshot at best, and you don't have any doubts in hailing it as a new classic? Wow...

You're right, a lot of crap is released to the market, and people buy it. This doesn't mean that every Indie game, just because it wasn't made by Bioware, it's going to be good.

RPGCodex has been one of the most vocal and idiotic "forces" on the RPG community for some time, and curiously enough for someone who complains that most RPG's are linear they only seem to like things like Diablo and Fate. I'm sure they will use this game to show everyone how it's done...
They will show Troika, Bioware, and everyone else how to do a great classic without any bugs or flaws.
"No more free rides for Troika", one of their members proclaimed. I'm sure they will show them how it's done!

You're right, the genre is in a sad state. When people get excited with a game like this, you know the genre is in trouble...
Post Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next