Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
About to start game. Should I get walkthrough?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread

I am about to start the game. Should I get the walk thru that's available here?
It might help save time. But would it ruin it for me?
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 4:28 am

Chewriter
Village Leader
Village Leader

Don't get it. You end up reading and going through the game step by step. Part of the draw of this game is that it is so expansive that you end up wandering. It will take away some of the true experience of the game.
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 5:20 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

a little advice before you start your adventure

1. If you can't open a gate, * winch is jammed * that means don't go in the area because that part of the story hasn't been given to you yet

2. Don't kill people, other wise you will miss out on some good quests if you kill the wrong person

3. Don't use a walkthrough, the game is far more rewarding just playing it through
Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 5:59 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Hell, no . Just have fun with the game. It's so hard to get stuck in the beginning. And it's a RPG - just do as you like. There isn't one perfect way to win the game...

Post Tue Dec 25, 2001 6:31 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Do not do it, but think and think and think when you are buing skills for your exp. points.
I did not think and when I met someone who told me I can teach you this, I bought it.
After sometime I have to start again from very begining. So do not do same stupid mistake.
(there are people here who reach nearly 6th level without using single exp. point and winished nearly all "before joining" quests in game - I think this is good way...)

Post Wed Dec 26, 2001 9:29 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

the walk through is nice once you have completed the game. but, it takes all the freedom and suprise out of the game; you might as well just go and watch someone else play. its like knowing the ending of a good book before you have started it. just have fun with the game the first time, and then check the walk through to see if you missed anything. if you are concerned about screwing things up, that is what rpgs are all about--making choices that actually affect game play and then living with them. its like life, you screw things up and still have to get on with it.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:14 pm
Faelon
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

It's all about exploration! Walkthroughs are a form of cheating. Why buy a game as fun to explore as Gothic only to follow some guys rendition of how he played it?

Enjoy the frustration
Post Tue Jan 01, 2002 10:43 pm
Zxzz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, yes and no... Honestly it is kind of easy to ruin your game by going to a wench "before" you are supposed to and ruining your game. I generally kill everything before starting my "game" quests (in other RPGs) as I like to have experience and power behind my actions, however I come to find out that it might ruin your game if you go certain places before it is "time".

If anything there should be a "don't go there" post so we can play how we want to play without ruining our game... so yes play the game your way but no don't ignore all the information out there as some of it might be relevant...
Post Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:11 pm