Ylsides - Did I Kill Them To Early? --SPOILER
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
BuzzSaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ylsides - Did I Kill Them To Early? --SPOILER

This game has been very fun so far, but I have found that it is very easy to wander away from the main quest and then it becomes very difficult to get back on track. I find it difficult to stay on the main quest with minimal checkpoints and journal system.

Here's my issue. Because I overlooked the stupid curtain on Falan Orbiphanax's bedroom wall, I wandered all over the place and fairly deep in levels (much further than required) before I triggered the council meeting. During this part of my wandering, I killed all of the Ylsides in level 4 hideout area and I butchered the ice dragon etc. Once the council meeting was finally triggered (immediately after I finally saw that stupid curtain on Falan's wall), I then killed the Ylsides manning the temple door under the tavern and then proceeded to clean out the temple there. Of course, I couldn't destroy the meteor yet and I left the 1 lich for later after my creatine bulks me up more.

So now I go back to the King and nothing is triggered (i.e he won't say squat to me). According to a walkthru @ RPG, it mentions that as I get back to the castle, Carlos should be saying that the Ylsides have attacked again and this time there were no survivors!!! and then some kind of cutscene is to occur that pushes the main quest forward.

I've been to the tavern again and the outpost and everyone is nice and healthy with no 2nd Ylsides attack occuring. I talk to Carlos and its still some crap about the rituals. I took care of the ritual thing long ago and saved Shany long ago.

So since it appears that I wandered off the main quest and butchered all the Ylsides fairly early on, am I just screwed now and have to start over?

Cheers

P.S. - I understand that Iserbius is none other than Suiberis who brought forth the demon I just killed at the Akbarr temple. But when I get back to the castle, Suiberis is still up in the observatory making up astronomy readings! The chick that I so gallantly saved is in fact down by the lake in level 4, but she really has nothing to say to me and just kind of walks around like a cheerleader the night before the big game, but doesn't take me to her hideout. I haven't been to the crypt yet and I think she's supposed to trigger that. So maybe wiping out the Yslides too early whacks the game? The really fast, bald, hard hitting guys in reddish grey armor are the Yslide right? I butchered a total of around 8 or 9 including the one bouncing at the temple door .under the tavern.

Last edited by BuzzSaw on Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:00 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

If I’m not mistaken, you should get the rings now, so talk to the snake women.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 8:47 am
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

BuzzSaw: You are right, Arx Fatalis likes things to be done by "good" characters and in certain order (and this order can be easily broken).

After the akbaa temple quest you should be given by Felnor and King the quest for Zohark and Krahoz, which unlocks further plot involving rebel camp, crypt and snake woman camp. Without this cutscene I bet nothing would happen

You can try to be lord of destruction, then you can pick up neccessary items from NPCs bodies (e.g., Carlo has the crypt key, etc..). According to the makers of Arx, it is still possible to finish the game this way.

P.S. May be you can share about your tactics against Ylsides?
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 11:53 am
Drakton
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Merz
BuzzSaw: You are right, Arx Fatalis likes things to be done by "good" characters and in certain order (and this order can be easily broken).

Right. It seems that when you disrupt the purple field early and get inside the Ylside's bunker before certain other events (dunno which) the main quest is broken. I'm stuck right here. When you enter this area, you are supposed to be attacked by 2 Ylsides and 1 priest, which holds one of the items necessary to finish the game. This dude never appear in my game, so I'm left without this item, thus can't finish the game.

Ð
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:36 pm
BuzzSaw
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks guys, I got an answer on the other forum.

The Arkane Studio moderator said I had to "touch" the meteor so I went back and "touched" the meteor and it triggered the cutscenes.

This really pissed me off since I had wasted about 3 or 4 hours wandering around and back to the meteor trying to resolve. The NPC conversations and the journal say "destroy" or "attack" the meteor which is a hell of lot different than "touch".

What a pisser! I had gone back to the meteor about 6 times previous and fireballed it, beat on it with my sword, shot it with my bow, jumped up and down on top of it all to no avail!!! Nothing said "Touch" the meteor, it said destroy or attack the meteor. I guess in this instance, I took things too literally. I also noticed that when I did go back and touch it, it absolutely did not "light up" like a door , or chest or other "use" items, so without the moderator forum response, I would never have done this except by total accident probably on my 25th vist back!

The physical waste of time is only minor part of the aggravation. The really aggravating thing is that it totally destroyed the flow of the game. This is now the third or forth instance in which the flow of the game is easily blown as you go wandering around throughout Arx looking for the storyline. Don't get me wrong, I still like the game but this is not the way I like to see a 20 hour game turned into a 60 hour game.

I'm not totally sure I'm out of the woods yet because I did kill all the Yslide guys early on and so all the townfolks and outpost folks are all still alive and kicking even though Carlos busted in and announced their untimely deaths at the hands of the Yslides. Whaaaaatever Carlos! We'll see if I end up having to start over yet. I hope not, the game has pretty much exhausted by patience at this point.

Cheers, Thanks for the help.
Post Sat Nov 30, 2002 9:54 pm