Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 Addon: Bad news reg English release?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Garrett

Gothic 2 Addon: Bad news reg English release?

Ill news makes an ill guest, still, Iomar Eisenwolf, moderator on the official JoWood boards has psted this ill bit of news on the <a href="http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27491" target="_blank">Gothic 2 boards</a> in April:<blockquote><em>Bad news concerning the addon. I've talked with Plex if there will be an english version of the addon (Nacht des Raben), and he said that's a very difficult question. Many political problems are here within and it's not sure if there will be ever an english addon. this is out of the hands of JoWooD and Atari doesn't respond. Seems that the addon is temporary on ice or it died long before.</em></blockquote>If this is true, I cannot understand, why a) neither Atari nor JoWood made an official statement yet and b) where the english version of the addon is from, that swirled the web couple of weeks ago.<br><br>Thanks Sem
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:22 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

Why most of game publishers communicates so poorly with gamers ???

Because the gamers who ask something are a minority compared to gamers who pay without asking ?
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:24 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I always do my bit of research regarding NotR
You're welcome.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:26 pm

Once again Pirhana Bytes and its Customers are screwed by the publisher
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:33 pm

What kind of crappy contract allows Atarigrames to just block the release? In a fair contract, they would have the option to release it, and if they choose not to do so, the rights would fall back to the developer (or Jowood).
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:40 pm

OctarineDragon
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This has been a buyers' market for more than a decade, now. Publishers screw developers with one-sided contracts because they can - too many devs out there developing too many titles that don't break even. So the publishers essentially dictate everything.
If it consoles you, publishers themselves are in turn screwed by retailers like Walmart or EB that can extort incredible discounts and can even heavily if indirectly influence game content. Personally, I think publishers are the lesser evil, but they are bad enough...
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:57 pm

Petition

I think it is time for us, the fans of Gothic (at least the English speaking ones) to create a petition to send to Atari and Jowood to get them to release NotR English. As a company, shouldn't they cater to us the gaming public? Who is with me on this?
Does anyone have an idea of how to start this?

Rithe
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:02 pm

thedagon

noooo

I was waiting for it...

"where the english version of the addon is from, that swirled the web couple of weeks ago"

what does that mean...
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:26 pm

GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

i think Atari is the problem child here.
seems like they aren't interested in the gothic games any longer.
i remember Kairo from PB once wrote that he sent a request to atari concerning an english Gothic 2 demo, but he never got an answer. I think Ataris problem is that ouside of Germany, G2 is rather a shelf warmer. No hype, average reviews, no big hit. Here in Germany, Gothic 2 was a real blockbuster. I feel sorry fo you guys.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:46 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

While I don't actually have a real reason to defend Atari, I would like to point out that we reported on Atari's fiscal results on March 2 and that Atari already announced back then that it has made the "decision to reduce its third-party distribution operations". Atari has -to my best knowledge- only distributed Gothic II for JoWood in North America. JoWood is still the publisher though and would as such be responsible for finding a new North American distribution partner for the add-on if Atari is no longer available for the job. I'm afraid that JoWood are the ones to "blame" here (not really if the deal with Atari stayed below expectations and let us remember that JoWood has to plan very carefully .. they still haven't recovered quite yet from their almost-bankruptcy).
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:24 pm
the dim
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Petition

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
I think it is time for us, the fans of Gothic (at least the English speaking ones) to create a petition to send to Atari and Jowood to get them to release NotR English.

Rithe

Here; http://www.petitiononline.com/petition.html
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:31 pm
Spunior
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I hope you do realize that petitiononline stunts have never ever achieved anything in the history of gaming.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:49 pm
Garrett

at Mo and all others: I don't blame anyone for not releasing or publishing a game - i blame companies for not answering mails. I have put no less than 5 mails to both Atari, Jowood and PB...no answer at all. If one of them would have told me: Hey, Atari won't publish it and JoWood has no backpower to release it...fine! sad...but fine! but this mis-communication is toooooo sad and I fully understand everyione who is mad!
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:11 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Wasn't the English warez release fake or mislabeled or something?

There really, really needs to be some official statement. This is ridiculous and hideously unprofessional.

Maybe if I send PB $40 they'll send me the English add-on. That seems the best bet, sadly.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:58 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Garrett
at Mo and all others: I don't blame anyone for not releasing or publishing a game - i blame companies for not answering mails. I have put no less than 5 mails to both Atari, Jowood and PB...no answer at all. If one of them would have told me: Hey, Atari won't publish it and JoWood has no backpower to release it...fine! sad...but fine! but this mis-communication is toooooo sad and I fully understand everyione who is mad!

My comment wasn't directed towards you, Garrett .
It's just that the general tone of threads like these is it sounds like people think like some pervert at Atari is sitting in his office whacking off at people whining about the G2 add-on not being released internationally. While that may be true (who knows .. just kidding), it's much more likely that some "suits" who are doing nothing else but checking spreadsheets all day figured out that the 3rd party distribution sector is not very profitable and thus advised the executives to cut down on expenses in that regard.
There's nothing really wrong with that. The Atari executives have tons of responsibilities, especially towards their hard-working staff all over the world.
Decisions like not publishing (distributing, actually) the Gothic II expansion in the rest of the world are made "in cold blood" at Atari.
What I'm trying to say is... there's no one sitting there at Atari looking at our comments thinking "haha you n00bs .. you can whine all you want .. you ain't gonna get it just because we can".

Regarding your comment, Garrett, I'm a little disappointed in Piranha Bytes. They should comment on why the Gothic II expansion is not or when it might be (not all hope is lost possibly) released in English. Even if they are prohibited -by contract- to talk about it they could at least say so like "we're not entitled to comment on the international release of the add-on". No reply at all is unacceptable though. I agree with everyone on this.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:30 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next