Finished the game but still got questions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Finished the game but still got questions

I finished the game once as a fighter mage. The game is fairly easy this way. I can't imagine being a pure mage or pure fighter/ranger. The game would have been a lot more difficult.

Anyways, I joined fire mages in my game. I wonder if I became a guard instead, can I still learn magic? It seems like as a magician, I can still learn everything there is. Correct? If you can't learn magic as a guard, then there is no point becoming a guard. I know as a magician, I can still increase dexterity and strength and learn 2H fighting with Lee until I become a necromancer.

Second question, are plots different if I joined different camps? Is there a reason to replay the game with different camps?

Third question, does dexterity matter when you melee? I never added any points in that. Toward the end, those templars really kicked my butt in sword fight. I wonder if that's the reason.

Thanks
Post Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:25 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

First, Welcome to the Boards. As for learning magic as warrior, not nearly to the extent as a mage. But you can still use scrolls and items in the game. The ultimate plot does not change, but your quests and interactions all change depending on your character and which camp you join. It makes it seem like a different game in many way. As for dexterity, yes it does make a difference in your melee abilities. You move faster, and get up to three various swings with increased dex. It is harder to play as fighter at first, but later in game with skills and armour, you are the one to kick butts.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:51 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

If you had chosen guard, you would have been accepted as Mercenary in new camp once banished, new camp rules about getting magic circles would then apply.

You learn 4 circles of magic if you join sect camp.

If you join new camp you can still learn magic, but you start later and if you've built up fighting skills, it's almost not worth it. But like cmckj50 says fighters later in the game kick major butt.

Dex helps more with bows and xbows than with swords, but the bigger xbows can do as much if not more damage than a lot of the runes,

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:28 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

If you mean the Apocaliptic-Templars inside Sleeper's Temple then you are right.Those are tough basterds even when I ahd Inno's Rage and Uriziel they didn't loose any life.The best way to kill them is magic.I used the Storm of Fire rune.Three casts of it and they are dead.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:16 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

@BTB- Yes you can hurt them with Uriziel Sword.

@Joeman-There is a way to join the Guards but still learn magic: You tell Thorus you're interested in the path of magic. Go to the Fire Mages' house and answer the question for Corristo, only, when he goes upstairs don't follow him. Now go back to Thorus and become a Guard. Now you can become a Fire Mage anytime you want (as long as you do it before Chapter 4).

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:44 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Good way to be able to get xbow as a mage earlier.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:12 pm
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Thanks for all the replies. The last parts of the game is a breeze if you are a mage in my opinion. The only tough part is solving puzzles and keeping track of where you are in the orc temple. Magic easily kills everything. Apocaliptic-Templars is super tough in melee battles. It's hard to try to out melee them. They slice you up very fast. I am replaying the game as a pure fighter right now. I might need to resort to summoning creatures when I get that far.
Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:26 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

You won't have trouble once you have Uriziel. Ice block is good too. You should have enough mana to use a scroll of iceblock by that time.

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:32 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Be sure to pick up summon golems scroll. They come in handy near end of game.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:45 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Wave of Ice is a fabulous spell.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:33 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I am currently replaying as a fighter. After I become master 2H sword fighting, Lee said I can do combinations. I can't figure out how to do it though. I can only swing left-right-left-right or up-down How do you do combinations?

Is crossbow better or regular bow? I still miss a lot even though I mastered it. It seems difficult to hit a moving target at a distance.

What is sneaking used for? I invested points for get Finger's vote, but never used it.

Thanks.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:07 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

Just continue to press ctrl up. But you have to time it correctly. When the first swing is finishing, press up again, you should swing left to right, near the end of that swing press up again and you should swing all of the way around, when you reach front press up one more time and you should make one more swing with one hand, plus a flourish. It takes practise to time it correctly.

Xbows are better as they do far more damage. More dexterity makes your accuracy better.

I found absolutely no use for sneaking since I robbed everybody in the old camp later. Theoretically you can sneak into everybodies huts and steal their stuff.

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:28 am
Joeman
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

What about sneaking when you are hunting? Can you get close to someone from behind while sneaking? Can anyone else sees you while you are in sneak mode? I think sneaking suppose to help you hunt because you learn it from a hunter.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:17 am
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

It might let you sneak up on humans and orcs, but I tried it with scavengers and such, they turn on you anyway. I think it doesn't work on animals unless they're sleeping. So don't forget you're night vision goggles.

Other people more alert may see you sneaking. Most of the time they'll confront you with it. They'll say something like what do you think you're doing?

Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:19 am
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

quote:
Originally posted by jmurdock
Good way to be able to get xbow as a mage earlier.

jumurdock here is a trick to get a xbow in chapter1 before even you join a camp.Do you remember Packo?The shadow that guards the second way to the Orc territory.If you go down that path you will encounter some Orc-Dogs.The orc-dogs will hunt you.Then lead them to Packo.He isnt strong enough not even to kill one of them.When the orc-dogs eat him and get out of there go and get his stuff.Packo is a non-involving NPC at missions,he doesnt return to the old camp,neither anyone will refer to him or miss him so......Enjoy your light crossbow without join any guild.
Post Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:58 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next