That bastard Canthar
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That bastard Canthar

When I first met this manipulative bastard it was near Khorinis. I didn't take his pass because I don't trust people who ask for favors in the future, so I went with the farmers clothes. When I met him in the city, he asked me to help frame one of the merchants, I told him to go f*ck himself. Now I'm in the third chapter he's told all the merchants that I'm from the colony and is blackmailing me for 500 gold. I've beat him up, but he still asks for the money. I've considered killing him, but I'd prefer trying to resolve this situation lawfully.(It seems wrong for a member of the militia to go about killing people on a whim, maybe that's just me)

Btw, what happened to the merchant that was previously in the stall? She wasn't in jail and I didn't see her around the city.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:31 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: That bastard Canthar

quote:
Originally posted by Dogar
When I first met this manipulative bastard it was near Khorinis. I didn't take his pass because I don't trust people who ask for favors in the future, so I went with the farmers clothes. When I met him in the city, he asked me to help frame one of the merchants, I told him to go f*ck himself. Now I'm in the third chapter he's told all the merchants that I'm from the colony and is blackmailing me for 500 gold. I've beat him up, but he still asks for the money. I've considered killing him, but I'd prefer trying to resolve this situation lawfully.(It seems wrong for a member of the militia to go about killing people on a whim, maybe that's just me)

Btw, what happened to the merchant that was previously in the stall? She wasn't in jail and I didn't see her around the city.

The only way out of it is to pay the money. And Sarah is gone for good, BTW.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:21 am
Dogar
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What!?!?!?

I assumed there would be another way. Talk about no good deed going unpunished! What happens if I don't pay the 100 he asks for after you beat him up? Does he do something nastier? If not, I guess I could lure him away from the city and take back that 500, assuming that Andre doesn't here of it.

Bastard!
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:34 am
mariuss
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You can kill Canthar in Chapter I in the prison cell if the guard doesn't see you. Previously you had to turn him to Andre.
Good luck
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:54 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:

I did the same thing with Canthar, but I'm still in Chapter 1. I was wondering when he was going to snitch on me. Is there any way to save Sarah in Chapter 1?
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:39 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I guess I should clarify that Sarah doesn't actually *die*. She just disappears from the game and her merchant stand is taken over by Canthar.

The only way to keep Sarah for the whole game is to get into the city without interacting with Canthar *at all*. There are at least two ways to do this.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:19 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
I guess I should clarify that Sarah doesn't actually *die*. She just disappears from the game and her merchant stand is taken over by Canthar.

The only way to keep Sarah for the whole game is to get into the city without interacting with Canthar *at all*. There are at least two ways to do this.

I got into the city without Canthar's help, but I talked to him once I was in there and refused to help him. I got into the city in farmers clothing. But I think I did talk to Canthar and refuse his pass. Bummer. I'm not going back that far to do it over.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:56 am
SilkenKidden
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I just read the walkthrough on Canthar. It seems the game royally screws you if you:

1, Talk to Canthar but refuse the pass (ending up owing him nothing).
2. Get into town by other means (farmer's clothes).
3. Talk to Canthar in town and refuse to do his dirty work.

Since I refused Canthar's quest, he will not talk to me at all anymore. Yet I'm sure he will do the same to me as he did to you and will smear my rep and blackmail me in Chapter 3.

Does anyone know how to cheat so I can turn on the talk to Canthar switch in Chapter 1 again. I want to take the quest, lock him up, and then kill him, as advised by others elsewhere in this thread.

Thanks.

quote:

Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:20 pm
Achromatic Luminary
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

You think that's bad. I killed him outside the city thinking I could bypass all of this. Turns out that after I lied to the named miltia man (who's name I forget) about the wanted poster, Canthar appeared dead on the street in the city. No one would talk to me and I had to drop back and punt.
Post Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:59 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

ways around this:

Canthar overhears yur conversation with Andre from his prison cell when you go to clear up the matter about the bandits and wanted poster. So:

Either accept his offer, then kill him in the cell
or clear up the matter with the wanted poster before turning him in
(not sure when Andre will ask you about the matter, whether immediately after Pablo says he will go to him or does he only ask you after Canthar is in the cell)
In either case you definitely want to turn him in because Sarah gives you a pirates cutlass (30 dmg/20str) same as a self forged sword and best weapon you'll find in any shop before Chap 2 (I recommend go get orc slayer or torturers Axe before entering chap 2) So this lets you take apprenticeship with Bosper for more money now cause forging is pretty much useless
But then again, who shops at those vendors anyway? LOL Only one worth browsing is Zuris cause he sells perm stat elixirs and dragon roots in chap 4-5
Post Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:12 pm