Best features of past games
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Best features of past games

After reading the thread “My vision of perfect CRPG” it got me thinking about such game (maybe this post should be there?), but I don’t want to invent some new ideas for a game, just to point out the best features (IMO) from the games I had pleasure to play.

- Let’s start with manual, definitely Jagged Alliance 2, had best index I’ve ever seen, second - place Fallout (this one will be repeated many times)

- Creating a boy or girl is probably most important part of the game because your decision will shape the character and YOU will have to live with that. Unless of course you just restart the game . Fallout, Arcanum even the most recent Lionheart have great possibility.

- View, this is personal issue and everybody has its favorite, mine is isometric (a.k.a. BG)

- Map & Traveling should be free like in the old times, most recent Arcanum, although it wasn’t any surprises on the road. Betrayal at Kondor would be best example, maybe even Morrowind.

- Combat, no question TURN-BASED (as if there was any other kind ). Again Fallout or JA.

- Journal, many good games had afoul record tracking, so far the best I’ve seen was in Gothic.

- Inventory, BIS games come to mind, simple yet nice. I like the possibility to dress my character with lots of jewelry. Also the ability to equip few weapons and to be able to switch them with just pressing one button.

- Picking items from the ground was the best feature in JA2, just loved it. You could go to map inventory and pick up items from any place on that map, of course if item wasn’t reachable at the present time due to being behind locked or even closed doors, and the icon was in gray color. BG/IWD had also nice feature by pressing Alt key.

- Thieving is no rocket science, well maybe sometimes. Pick-pocketing definitely fallout, I like the possibility to look somebody in the pocket and do not take anything (or just maybe leave something instead ). Lock picking I liked from Splinter Cell, Thief and Gothic. And last but not least Sneaking, Thief again, lurking in the shadows and taking advantage of it.

- Spells are for people who know how to use them, myself I usually picked the ones with the most damage, I must admit wizards, sorcerers, clerics and druids are not my cup of tea. Although every party has to have one of each. BG2 had like over 300 spells it was paradise for some.

- Friends are best picking on the road, but I reserve right to have fully control over them during traveling and battles. Of course if I do something (or in some cases don’t) the companions can leave at their own leisure. BG was perfect here.

- Quests are what keep us for coming for more, if you think about it there is two types of the quests FedEx & Mercenary. Go and bring me something and there is a bad boogieman that needs spanking. But if you add some twists to it and multiple solutions to solve them, I’m starting to sing I’m in haven

- Leveling is the best part of any RPG, the more possibilities you have the better, and no surprises Fallout comes to mind again. Perks traits and classless system it’s hard to beat. If we are talking D&D I have to see ToEE yet.

I think I covered most (if not everything) what RPGs have, so what else is there worth looking at? What games truly kept you for hours and what features you still remember?
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:11 pm
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

just TURN BASED COMBAT
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:24 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

While old games don't have many good features, I'll AT LEAST have to agree with inventory (IE games).

Another thing is the whole 'what you see is what you get' thing the IE games and Fallout had. Nowadays, many RPGs like Gothic 2 and that kind of crap won't let you loot that good-looking armor from your fallen opponent. That is SO frustrating.

As for turn based, it's probably one of the most horrible monstrosities of the past, returning to haunt you ever now and then.
Good thing a game called Darklands was released once long ago, with a proper combat system (pause and play). Not that Darklands had anything else worth wasting your money on.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 5:56 pm
Dinzy
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'd have to go with Arcanum's pseudo turn based combat for the best. I am not a fan of turned based combat unless you are facing a really difficult opponent. I prefer real time combat for dungeon crawling because it makes it quicker and more enjoyable. Basically any real time combat with a pause feature that allows you to give specific orders will work for me.
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:32 pm
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If I was to create a game combining the best features of all the RPGs I have played, it would have:

- Planescape: Torment's recruitable party of 4-6 interesting NPCs with their own personalities and motivations.

- P:T's NPC interaction.

- P:T's philosophical depth.

- P:T's balance of plot vs combat.

- Neverwinter Night's isometric (but adjustable) perspective.

- NWN's pseudo-realtime combat system and combat animations combined with Infinity Engine-like control of all party members.

- NWN's toolset (but adjusted so that it's not tile-based).

- Morrowind's object interaction.

- MW's size and scope.

- MW's environmental graphics (but not its character graphics or animations).

- MW's character advancement (ie the character improves by using skills rather than killing things).

- Ultima 7's (or Gothic's) NPC schedules.

- Ultima 8's setting (Pagan) and plot (if you don't like U8, shuddup!).

- Ultima 9's continuously loading world (ie, no area transitions), but combined in some way with...

- Fallout's world mapping system.

- Fallout's maturity, grit and humour.

- Fallout's freedom and non-linearity.

- Quest for Glory 4's atmosphere and music.

- Arcanum's character creation.

- Diablo 2's (or Warcraft 3's) cinematics.

I've probably missed quite a few things, but that's all I can think of at the moment. Of course I have no idea how you'd be combine all these features without taking 10 years to make the game, but it's nice to dream, eh?
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:37 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

For me it could be just nother game like PS:T but with a bit changes like:

-A possibility to select a race and everything else like in BG, during character creation.
-More classes to play, could be the ones from BG.
-Atleast as many armours as in BG.
-Better graphics, but not something like in NWN that would spoil the whole atmosphere of the game. Maybe Morrowinds engine, the Deadric ruins look quite similliar to building in Sigil.
-A possibility to barter like in Morrowind.
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:01 am
heavensblade
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

PS:T - Alignment system. Your actions affects your alignment
Post Fri Aug 08, 2003 1:32 pm