Crypt outside Merc Town
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Hagen
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Crypt outside Merc Town

Theres a crypt outside merc town you can go down in, Its been a while since i last played G2 but while I was checking these forums I thought id ask, What can be gained from there? I remember going down there with a level 30 and go absolultely ganked by a shed load of skels...but what the hell is down there? I remember reading a note but It didnt make much sense, seemed important though... Anyone know what this place is all about?
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:26 pm
VPeric
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

A whole lot of experiance... 8000 at the minimum, maybe even more if you let the Skeleton Mages do their work. Not too much loot through, as I recall.
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:30 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

The most remarkeble gain is that you get the thoughest fight in all the gothic series there, if you can win this one you can win them all
Post Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:16 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

There's also a King's Sorrell down there ....
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:53 am
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

It's the most do-able as a mage.
Open the chests, grab the loot, close the chests and cast wave of death/mass destruction as fast as possible.
Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:25 am
Dragonay
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

But it seems to be possible when your guildless to(some german dude did that) in NOTR. Though i haven't tryed it myself yet maybe i will soon.
Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:33 am
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I did it of course I traveled through the entire realm first
and I ran out and dealt with them 2 3 skellies at a time, so I don't know if it counts
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:06 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

That crypt is not tied to any guild, you can do it at any time. Well, that is, you can enter it at any time, at any level, and activate it, but do it.. That's another thing

What's there to gain? First, of course, LOADS of XP. If you actually can survive the skellies, kill them fast, you can rack up very solid XP. You also can get loads of items to sell, mostly trash rusty 2H swords, bone chips.. Chests in the rooms have potions, some other items, some cash. King's Sorrel plant is in tat crypt too, though you don't need to activate or kill anything for it, you can just enter it, pick the weed, and leave.

Final treat of course is the "boss" of that place. If you kill him, you get some 500 or so gold and a nice 2h sword, what you can either use or sell for decent cash. of course, most likely, by the time you actually can do this crypt, you have enough cash and significally better weapons then that one

You can try to buy few high level AoE spell scrolls, like Rain of Fire, and then do that place sooner. 4 scrolls at least would be needed, and you may have to swing a sword couple times after those still
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:41 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pop up a demon(summon demon scroll/spell) or use the spell Rain of Fire. Rain of Fire is by far the most powerful spell in the game as it will follow you when you run(you can activate it outside of enemy range, and run into the enemies with it on).

Either way works wonders and makes it rather easy.
Post Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:10 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I ran through the crypt fairly early on using the run out and deal with the skellies 2 or 3 at a time. But it was VERY hard, and quite messy. If I recall correctly I gave up after clearing the second chamber (many, many XPs here) and returned much later to finish off the the last chamber.

It has been a good year since I last played, though. Hmmmm, maybe I should give G2 a try again.
Post Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:03 pm
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

i think that that crypt was in original meant to be some kind of a quest but then was not completed.Just like in g1 where we can find many places without any point at all
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Sun May 01, 2005 8:48 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Possible.
Post Sun May 01, 2005 10:54 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by EDV
It's the most do-able as a mage.

I haven't tried it out in NotR yet, but I always thought it was most do-able with the dragonhunter, because in the end he can kill the skellies in one blow.
With the mage my framerate always dropped below zero when I casted Rain of Fire in there with about 10 moving enemies around me.
Post Mon May 02, 2005 11:50 am
Kamahl
King of Spam
King of Spam

well i did it once with merc the first time when i was with a mage i didnt evne find it and when i played with a pali i only got to ch3 and then quit because it was too easy
die dunkle Seite zerstören, wir sollen
Post Mon May 02, 2005 12:10 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Not every area in the game has to be tied to the quest. That crypt can very well be all it was meant to be - just a crypt. You can read about the crypt from the note you can find near the skeleton, with the sword and such. There is a small story behind it. Of course, being the curios person I am and also someone who likes to know details like background, history, named, facts, I hoped to get some data on that leader skeleton, but alas, nothing.

Still, the note explains all there is to explain about that place, so no special quest is even needed. Which is in a way even cooler - NO ONE knows about it, no one in the whole Khorinis knew that there was some dark skeleton lord trying to gather his army. Who knows, if not you beating him up, maybe some day - or night - he would have popped out eventually with his huge skeleton army and wage war against all living in Khorinis. There are a lot of graveyards in Khorinis, at least for such a small place anyway, so he'd get even bigger army then he had stored down there.

Of course, it would have been kinda cool if he would have stormed out.. Battles here and there, skeleton army trying to conquer the land in addition to orcs and other freaks.. But OK, let's not get carried away, shall we
Post Tue May 03, 2005 11:25 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next