Usergroups
Alien vs. Predator the MOVIE!!!!!!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

They were out on their first hunt... their right of passage, yes. After that they get to hunt big game... whatever that might be in the ficton.

I didn't see them as weak at all... they died when impaled through by a 10 foot long coiled and serrated tail or when they had their faces bit off. Personally I think the mask should have been made of material strong enough to stop that particular attack (but I also thought the mask should have protected you in the AVP games vs facehuggers!)... but I don't have a real problem with it not.

The games... I loved them. I loved playing multi with my friends ... I was at a LAN party and it was always great to hear a scream from the other room if I pulled off a particularly surprising attack (deathmatch the predator was the best (especially if you didn't limit their weapon selection)... but I did pretty well with the alien as well. Got a lot more screams with the alien... I loved sticking in a corner out of immediate sight by a door and then head-biting as they came through a door. Usualy I'd hiss first so they'd turn around in time to see the double-jaws...

The marine campaigns always startled the hell out of me. So many sudden movements and horrificly sudden deaths...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:29 pm
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

little question about the game(s) of AvP:
what genre is it? and how much does it costs in the store?
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:02 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

The AvP games are 1st person shooters. They're a few years old now, so you should be able to get them as budget titles.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:31 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

And they're really fun. My biggest complain involves the predator campaigns where it seems the humans can see you far too easily (especially in the first game) while you're cloaked. Not in multi-player deathmatch though... only the computer has ultra perception, it seems. Playing Predator vs Predator I discovered a way to cloak from my friend: The predators have a gamma spectrum vision (neon green... hurts the eyes to use too often) that easily detects cloaked opponents (and is the best way to find your throwing disk after you toss it). Predators show up as brilliant grey shimmers ... but lights in the human levels give off just as bright or brighter a grey emmition. Stand in the lights and cloak and no Predator player can detect you. Snipe away.

Oh how I love the AvP setting... I'd wish for more movies (wrenching back on topic) except I suspect they'd screw them up and/or they'd all end up being 'the same'.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:18 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Agree with your comment about eagle-eyed humans in SP PC AvP, EX (oh, how I love to abbreviate ). I never played it MP, but I saw a friend doing so several times and it looked fantastic (I read it was one of the best MP games around at the time but had poor network support and so wasn't as successful as it ought to have been; does that sound right?) - my pal often played in the games with many marines vs. a single predator, and that just looked superb. I was really impressed with the look of the cloaked predator & the flashes of the laser sight. In fact, I much preferred the look of the first game to that of the sequel - they just seemed to get the lighting exactly right (the game looking almost monochrome at times, with the flaring, glaring light resembling Alien perfectly), but I guess Monolith didn't agree

I absolutely adored the Alien campaign, but I wasn't very good with the other two characters. I heard the SP predator campaign in AvP2 was a big improvement, but I didn't play much of it at all.

Anyway, I saw the film recently and was underwhelmed. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, but it just seemed resolutely average to me. And I didn't find the human/predator camaraderie convincing. Still, it was leagues ahead of the real turkey I saw the night before - Resident Evil: Apocalypse!
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:03 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I thought Resident Evil: Apocalypse was Award material compared to the movie I saw two nights ago - King Arthur (shudder). Now that was the first movie in years which made me feel it was an utter and complete waste of time. Usually I'm pretty undemanding (you might tell because I actually liked Natural City, minus the score), but having to watch King Arthur made me wish myself away.

The AvP movie was a fast-paced popcorn flick with big enough plot holes to have people fall through, but I'm usually not watching popcorn movies for intellectual stimulation. I'm excpecting to have some fun, however, which I absolutely had with AvP (and absolutely not with King Arthur).
Post Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:46 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

lol, King Arthur... a mate lent me the director's cut (I don't know who the director is, though) about 2 months ago, and I haven't forced myself to watch it yet. My housemate has, and advises against it. Clive Owen, he's hopeless isn't he? He's kind of an acting black-hole, a monotonous interest-and emotion-free zone. If only he'd been in AvP, and the Aliens and Predators had ganged up on him (OK, maybe that's a bit harsh )
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:27 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Nothing against Clive Owen, IMO he was great in Gosford Park, but in King Arthur nobody actually acted. The script didn't give them a chance to. The only highlight was Keira Knightly, painted blue and clad in bondage-type stuff (and I'm not talking about her acting because there was none). Halfways through the film we decided to watch it under comedy aspects (easily done since the actor who played the son of the Saxon war chief acted in/directed several really good German tragicomedies), and as such King Arthur was at least halfways successful - we had a good laugh.

I had nothing against seeing Clive Owen and the rest of the King Arthur gang in AvP, they'd hopefully give my cute predator friends more screen time.
Post Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:09 am
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Aliens are better than Preds...In numbers

I am a pred fan, and yet I cannot complain about this movie as far as fighting goes.

Take for example Velociraptors versus T-rex...4 or 5 and that Rex is gone...but one on one??? easy choice

Same here...in the one on one fight.....clear, cool, bit short but hey....
So many ppl saying how the preds got screwed by this movie
3 on 10000? Um...yep, I pretty much expected it....you bite off more than you can chew and you choke...but they still took a lot with them.

P.S. Face huggers are buggers in the game, unless you're pred with shoulder cannon ammo, and even then...

<skitter> <skitter>
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:30 am
Salad Fingers
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I was playing the game and it was SO hard!Even if I managed to facehug a predator,like three would come over and start slashing at the body!

When I played the predators,I could do fine up until the acid water.I tried to do a crouch jump,but by about the second or third platform,I kept falling and dying.

As the marines,I'm stuck in the cave being swarmed by like thirty aliens.Even with like,flamethrowers and machine guns,I keep dying!
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:52 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7