Need an RPG? Post here!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

Need an RPG? Post here!

This is the thread where you can post what kind of an RPG you want (Example: "I want a 3D first-person RPG"), so instead of making entirely new threads dedicated to it, you can just post it here.

Hopefully the mods will make it sticky...
Post Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:02 pm
Kaelik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I personally would like a first person RPG with a basis on magical combat (but were you use spells and stategy instead of fireballs) and one semi important note is that I like it to fell realistic not constructed. Either free-form or story oriented works.
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:39 pm
Nordic Barbarian
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Naah, i'd have to say i'd like my rpg to be realistic...a simple guy, no grand background, with a job to do, and only his skills to do it...of course, they'd have to improve over the course of the game... and none of that magic stuff, give him a sword, a blunt weapon, a bow, a m-14 if u have to, just make it credible, ooh, and besides, it'd have to be one gooood story
Post Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:06 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

Well what I want already exists and probably has all I want in a game: Gothic 1
the surprising story, the real world, you feeling involved with the hero. scared around every corner for what might come, but not able to wait to just check it out
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:00 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Nordic Barbarian
Naah, i'd have to say i'd like my rpg to be realistic...a simple guy, no grand background, with a job to do, and only his skills to do it...of course, they'd have to improve over the course of the game... and none of that magic stuff, give him a sword, a blunt weapon, a bow, a m-14 if u have to, just make it credible, ooh, and besides, it'd have to be one gooood story

You'd probably like darklands.
http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=278
Post Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:43 pm
Anton89
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

a

I'm searching for a gothic-like-game, I want LOADS and I mean loads of quest, and a superstory. (I'm that quest-kind-of-guy)

Plx ;>
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:52 pm
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Gothic is in a class of it's own. You can find aspects of it in other games, but never all of them.

If you want guests with the size of gothic, try NWN. Lots of battles, but with all the side quests that are included, you should love it. You will have at least five quests going at the same time and usually many more.
Mark Twain
Post Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:04 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelik
I personally would like a first person RPG with a basis on magical combat (but were you use spells and stategy instead of fireballs) and one semi important note is that I like it to fell realistic not constructed. Either free-form or story oriented works.

Have you played Arx Fatalis? This sounds like what you would enjoy. It his spell-heavy, 1st-person, and very fun. You actually have to memorize spells and draw the runes on the screen to cast your spells. You should check it out if you have not!
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:13 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelik

Kaelik, have you tried Spellforce? It is a RTS/RPG hybrid with a very deep magic system and great strategic combat. The story is pretty well told too. I generally hate strategy games but I finished this one through twice. My personal preference was for a healing/buffs mage but the other choices are just as viable.
Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:47 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

All this magic and orcs and elves and dwarves and dragons and goblins and stuff like that are getting annoying, theres too much of those. There should be an rpg more realistic - without magic and all the magical creatures. Maybe even a historical rpg. It should also be third-person action rpg(much like gothics) with lots of exploring to do.
I hate all the rpgs where you watch how your char fights and you dont do much yourself (like nwn) and clicking on whch spells/moves to do next is still the same to me. I just cant stand it when fighting is done in turns(i hit - 2secs of pause - enemy hits - 2secs - i hit), it looks stupid.
Post Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:15 pm
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

I can't think of a 3rd person historical rpg, but it sounds like you may like Seal of Evil. You might wanna check that out. Or maybe Vampire:Bloodlines.
Post Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:08 pm
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I Like games like:
-The Settlers serie for construction and creation of your own kingdom.
-The Elder Scrolls for the freedom of doing whatever you want with the game and 100+ hours of game play.
-Gothic for the above and the combat style.
-Harvest Moon for being able to work in your town and a better way to interact with NPC's, and also the upgrade of structures(house, land, etc..)
-NWN for the huge varieties of spells and classes/races.
-Vampire for the dark theme.
-Castlevania for the music.

Get all the above in one game with 3rd and 1st person view live combat style like gothic, add a HUGE map that takes hours to cross while running and I'll be the happiest person on earth.

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:08 am
Fez
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

No, just no. Well done for missing the entire point of the thread.

How about the moon on a stick, will that do?
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:51 am
Vempyre
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:

No, just no. Well done for missing the entire point of the thread.

How about the moon on a stick, will that do?

The Kind, time, engine, etc... to me is not a priority, but what's in a game is!
As far is the moon is concerned, and especialy in gaming industry, dreams and ideas are there to be used.
Who would have ever considered seeing Doom3 in `95 while Doom95 was getting out.
Or, Gothic 2, in `87 when one of the best RPG was Legend of Zelda.
And even asking with the people like you at that time, they would have laugh their ass off and probably saying I was asking the moon.
But programmers were already working on it, Doom95 and Doom3, for example, are just 8 years apart and I can definetly see a difference. People working on it were not asking the moon, but trying to always improve their work.
With all the new stuff around like, AMD64, PCI Express, etc...
Game in a normal evolution have to be better and bigger by the time.

Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:56 am
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Vempyre
I Like games like:
-The Settlers serie for construction and creation of your own kingdom.
-The Elder Scrolls for the freedom of doing whatever you want with the game and 100+ hours of game play.
-Gothic for the above and the combat style.
-Harvest Moon for being able to work in your town and a better way to interact with NPC's, and also the upgrade of structures(house, land, etc..)
-NWN for the huge varieties of spells and classes/races.
-Vampire for the dark theme.
-Castlevania for the music.

Get all the above in one game with 3rd and 1st person view live combat style like gothic, add a HUGE map that takes hours to cross while running and I'll be the happiest person on earth.

Damn, uhhhh...The closest I can think of is Ultima VII, Arcanum, or Darklands. But each is missing something and none of them are 3rd or 1st person thank god. Like for the huge number of classes/races, well neither game really has classes and Darklands is uber-realistic so spells are out of the question. If you enjoy rouge-likes, I'd say Gearhead but not a lot of people have the patience for them.
Post Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:11 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next