AH HA!!!!!! (Val, help me out here)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

AH HA!!!!!! (Val, help me out here)

Me being the adventurous gamer that I am, always seeking the new challenge, I happened to fall into this forum after hearing and seeing so much about this game from this site. So, a few questions 1st.
This is being published by JoWood?

Would that mean it would be of the same quality as Gothic? (*wishes*)

I've seen ss of this game forever and yet the US version isnt coming out till 10/25???? I thought this was an OLD game...

Has anyone been playing the German version and where can I get reviews and does anyone recommend it?

Many many many more questions to follow and thanks
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

1. Yes.

2. No idea, I haven't played it. It is 1st person 3D perspective though. Rend sings the game praises.

3. Actually, I just checked the JoWood site. USA 11/15/2002
Them Brits and Aussies get it before we do. Lucky guys. The game was only released a little while ago so it is not old.

4. Nope. Sorry. Me not speaky German. Look here for links to reviews and such.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:20 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Val, shame on you, how could you NOT have played Gothic, one of the besp Games, not to mention RPG's ever to be released!! You're a naughty girl, go to your room and play it NOW!!
Arx will not be in Australia before the US, in fact according to the local EB, it will not be coming here at all. Jowood have not been able to tell me anything else either when I've asked.
I suggest anyone interested in the game, download the updated Demo and have a play. Perhaps you could re-post a link.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:14 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think she meant she never played Arx.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Provis got it. I have played Gothic. Multiple times.
JoWood's site claims the release date for England is the same for Australia.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:35 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

Just out of curiosity, whats the big deal about Gothic? I haven't played it, but just from screens and reviews, it doesnt seem to offer anything new to the world that we didnt get from Baldur's Gate I or II. Just from looking at them, I would choose Arx over Gothic (I or II) easily. I've had enough of the watching from on high rpgs (except NWN, which does it so exceptionally well that it almost seems new). No flames please, just let me know in your own words why Gothic is any better than, say Baldur's Gate. Thanks!
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:56 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

@Corwin, the Australian distributor for Jowood is Red Ant (www.red-ant.com.au) and their main page lists Arx prominently for November release so it is definitely coming to Aus (although not as quickly as the main Jowood page promises ).
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:15 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by superdarkdude
Just out of curiosity, whats the big deal about Gothic? I haven't played it, but just from screens and reviews, it doesnt seem to offer anything new to the world that we didnt get from Baldur's Gate I or II. Just from looking at them, I would choose Arx over Gothic (I or II) easily. I've had enough of the watching from on high rpgs (except NWN, which does it so exceptionally well that it almost seems new). No flames please, just let me know in your own words why Gothic is any better than, say Baldur's Gate. Thanks!

Both Baldur's Gate & Gothic is good RPG in their own ways, which also mean Gothic's advantages is not necessary good for different RPGs player. However from my own view, Gothic good in several ways: realistic NPCs live cycle (Yawning & eat at morning, sleep at night, aware if you enter his/her house), rather realistic NPC attitudes (take advantages/bullying you, etc), dangerous game world (a lot of Orcs, woft, other creatures), quite original background for plot (mine colony, kingdom), interesting combat moves. Huh, couldn't think of others....real Gothic's fan would supply you numerous/endless list of goodness of that game.

Bad things in Gothic = control heavily depend on keyboard (especially when executing special combat moves), bad inventory system, can't change different pieces of your armors/items (only in whole set), difficult to begin your adventure (get killed easily), uninspired ending, .......that's it, more or less. If you really like BG series, you will notice that there is lack of character class and race in Gothic, no party system (you're on your own), no much different magic/spells available, no feats available (as in NWN), less epic storyline and game world, no group/party tactical combat with enemy. Take note that some people just don't take these as weakness of Gothic, so it's depend on you.

Edited for typo errors.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:49 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Besides, Baldur's Gate (and those games) are iso3D games (3rd person view like in RTS games) while Gothic has a 3rd person perspective like Tomb Raider... which makes for a completely different atmosphere. Arx, on the other hand, is 1st person if I'm not completely mistaken.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:25 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:
Originally posted by superdarkdude
Just out of curiosity, whats the big deal about Gothic? I haven't played it, but just from screens and reviews, it doesnt seem to offer anything new to the world that we didnt get from Baldur's Gate I or II.

Gothic added (or dramatically improved) many things:
- The world is highly detailed and the landscape very well crafted. No other RPG I know even comes close. The world is seamless. You can enter a castle, fight some guards, transform to bloodfly, fly over the mountains to the great waterfalls on the other side of the world-disc, transform back, jump down the waterfalls, swim in the lake ... all without loading. Only dungeons and mines are separated areas.
- Dozens of NPCs (of more than 400) are have so much personality that you really start to develop emotions towards them.
- The NPC AI is pretty good, pathfinding very good (but not flawless) and the monster AI is the best of all realtime RPGs I know.
- The daily routine makes NPCs "feel" realistic.
- All dialogs are spoken.
- Graphics was better than in every other RPG at the time of the German release. Especially the viewing distance is remarkable.

Other notable points:
- Skills, etc. is simplified to the max. Decide for yourself if this means lack of options or more freedom due to a lack of rules for you.
- 90% of the world map can be explored right from the start. Again, this means freedom.
- Combat is far more diverse than it seems.

All this combines to a unique atmosphere.
GG mentioned the weaknesses. Depending on how you assess Gothic´s strengths and weaknesses you´ll either love or hate it. There is nothing in-between.

quote:

Just from looking at them, I would choose Arx over Gothic (I or II) easily.

Release dates:
Gothic 03/2001
Morrowind 05/2002
Arx 06/2002
NWN 06/2002

Of course Arx looks better. But it has to look better because the game doesn´t focus on a huge world with many NPCs. You can´t have everything at the same time. (To say it clearly: Arx is an excellent game which should have been named 'Underworld III'.)
Btw., Gothic looks far better in motion than on stills.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 3:22 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

If the entire game is from the 1st person persective, I dont think I'm gonna have too much fun with it. Only thing thats fun in 1st P are shooters. When playing an RPG behind the back view is much more desirable cause it helps you feel more a part of the environment. I d/l'd it last night, will try it out tonight.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 4:21 pm
werpu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Since the thread already developed into Arx vs.Gothic

Having played both I´d like to give a fair comparison:

a) Gothic 1 = Ultima 9 meets Fallout without the bugs of both games. I guess that describes it the best. They took a very Ultima 9 ish engine and
made a rough fantasy prison setting around it. I think it is better in every aspect than U9. The followed a similar game design but, the execution was way better and the game was way more mature and had a much better story and setting.

b) Arx Fatalis = Totally different gamestyle, it is a blend of Ultima Underworld, and later games like thief. (Although the Underworld elements dominate clearly).

A better description probably would be, that if Looking Glass still existed and would do an Underworld 3 it probably would be something like Arx Fatalis.

I think both games are killer games, and I think if you like the one you will like the other and vice versa. Also if you liked Ultima 7 and/or the Underworlds then go for both.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:42 pm
superdarkdude
Village Leader
Village Leader

OMG, eeeeewwwww....

O.k., I d/l Gothic demo, and was able to install it, run it, try it, and uninstall it within 45 minutes. I dont think I've come across a LESS intuitive control scheme in many years. After playing NWN, it was like playing a homebrewed Half-life mod. I'm sorry guys, but there was NOTHING there to keep my interest, especially when I have to FIGHT the game to get it to do what I want! Anyway, the people that do enjoy it, more power to you! I'm gonna count the hours till Arx is released...
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 7:26 am
Roach
SBR Belfry Bat
SBR Belfry Bat

Comparing BG and Gothic is like comparing Warcraft and Age of Empires, they’re both in the same genre but there aren’t many similarities other than that.
Normally when I play RPGs I stick to ones like BG, but I decided to try Gothic anyway. There were lots of problems with the game, and it’s not the type of game I usually play, but I thought the game was fantastic. The main reason why was the atmosphere of the game. Never before have I played a game that felt so alive. The stronger hostile animals (wolves, snappers, orc dogs) almost seemed life like, I even saw wolves hut and kill molerats! So what made the game so great and so different for me was simply the feel of the game.

Is there much of a difference between the new Arx demo and the old one?
Post Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:40 am