Game Engine
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Game Engine

This is more of a geeky tech question than anything, but does anyone know if the game engine used in Arx is the one that will be used in Thief 3? It just seems like this engine is well tailored for a 'Thief' type game.

Also, I found it strange that one of the ex-Looking Glass designers, who has since started a new company, did the American translation of Arx Fatalis, and I'm just wondering if perhaps the original designers of Thief (and Ultima Underworld games) maybe have a hand in the third installment. I can't stop thinking about Thief 1 and 2 when I play Arx, it just seems so similar in design.

Just wondering, I absolutely LOVE Arx Fatalis, and I think this game engine would be more than capable of handling a game of Thief 3's magnitude.

In any case, It's just too bad that the folks that did Might and Magic IX didn't have this engine at their disposal.

Oh well, does anyone know if there is a connection between Thief 3 and this engine, and if perhaps one or more of the original Thief designers are having any input in Thief 3. Thanks in advance for any input.
Post Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:37 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

That is an interesting proposition, though seems unlikely...
...I have just seen an article on a German site about this very issue >> http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc-spiele/adventure/10862/

Unfortunately my German is terrible (well, let's put it this way, I know very little ), but I found this there:
quote:
Thief 3 basiert genau wie Deus Ex 2, auch bei Ion Storm in der Mache, auf einer modifizierten Unreal-Warfare-Engine. Für die Physik ist die Havoc-Engine verantwortlich.

I think it says that Thief 3 is developed together with Deus Ex2 and they use a modified Unreal Warfare engine (funny I thought that was a straight-to-console engine) and the Havoc-engine for the physics issues.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Also, keep an eye on this page as well: http://www.thief3.com/
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:12 pm
Merz
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Sir Markus, it really depends on what mean by game engine. If you mean graphics and physics engines, I really hope that whatever engine Thief3 will use it won't be that of Arx Fatalis.. No offence is intended, Arx Fatalis is impressive, but IMO it did not feel at all like Thief, and I played a thiefy character.

That being said, I do like how Arx can handle the state of its fragmented world, and how complex this world is. But I also can't deny that I prefer how Gothic did it: a huge world in one load. I wish Thief3 were able to do this too

Since I am not a game developer and are not familiar with the implementation of Arx Fatalis, I can only speculate. Additionally, there are game design descicions that I may have mistaken for engine features..
Post Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:20 pm
djethan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I would also say that any game still in the works with the Arx engine isn't going to look good at release time. The graphics are REALLY looking dated, not that they aren't decent, just nothing special, like say, Morrowind. While I wasn't that fond of Morrowind's interface, the graphics were absolutely top-notch, the handling of an enormous world took almost NO load time, etc.

Also on the Thief 3 tip, if you played Deus Ex (and if you haven't you should), it had a great thief-like feeling to it and an engine developed for one would work great with the other I imagine. I'm not sure which version of the Unreal engine the "Warfare" version is, but I'm sure it's better than Arx's. And the Havoc engine is awesome!
Post Tue Dec 24, 2002 6:42 pm