Usergroups
Gothic 3 should be better known before getting a publisher
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

one would love to think that jowood has learned their lesson and the english version won't be delayed with a year like before..but somehow its becoming more and more difficult to keep the faith.
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:22 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Why, because JoWooD signed 3.5 publishing agreements for different territories in the last 2 months?!
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:08 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Does having an agreement necessarily mean immediate distribution?
Post Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:17 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander
quote:
Originally posted by Stiler
quote:
quote:
Uhh....do you not understand what a publisher does?

All those things you listed, advertising in mags/internet/tv, etc that is what the Publisher does, not the developer.

Did you miss the first line of his post?

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Here's what I think needs to happen with whoever Jowood picks as the North American partner. "

He's talking about a publisher, bub.

Uhh, did you mis-read his paragraph? Because I didn't....

He is talking about things a PUBLISHER does, yet he says they should do them BEFORE getting a publisher....

do you understand now?

I'm sorry, you're wrong.

"Here's what I think needs to happen with whoever Jowood picks as the North American partner."

Note that it does not say "before Jowood picks a North American partner." He enumerated what he thinks the US publisher of Gothic 3 should do.

Uhh, I was replying to the thread starter, not to elkston.

quote:
Before PB tries to get a publisher for the english version of Gothic 3 they should try very hard to get it known in the US so that they will have a better chance of getting a good publisher for the game. An example is to try to get it on x-play and other game programs in the US and to get it in gaming Magaznes. another thing is try to make it very noticible at E3 and other gaming conventions and also make an english demo

That makes it seem like he wanted PB to ditch jowood, and do the things a publisher does..in order to find a publisher.

Least that's what it sounded like to me.

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
Just to clarify some things, Lysander is right. My intentions in that post was to lay out what the eventual North American *publisher* needs to do. Trust me, I realize that the things I outllined are clearly outside of the scope of PB's duites...

So lets put this misunderstanding behind us and move on

P.S.
Stiler - you're from the South so you get big brownie points from me anyway.

Yea, I think we got things a bit confused .
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:

Haha, really? In the future, it would help if you would quote the post to which you're replying.

quote:
That makes it seem like he wanted PB to ditch jowood, and do the things a publisher does..in order to find a publisher.

Well, if I was PB, I would do a marketing blitz on my own. Someone has to pick up the slack, and releasing videos and screenshots and giving interviews is free.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:58 pm
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
quote:

Haha, really? In the future, it would help if you would quote the post to which you're replying.

quote:

Well, if I was PB, I would do a marketing blitz on my own. Someone has to pick up the slack, and releasing videos and screenshots and giving interviews is free.

Generally people take no quote to mean they are referring to the topic starter.

Again, I agree, however with a publisher the developers usually have a contract that usually states about those things. The "PR" guy is generally the one that handles that kind of stuff and when/how to do it, the devs can't just go off listing things when it may/may not hurt/help the game.

As a publisher you don't want to devs to go off and promise the world to everyone and then be able to not deliver and create another Peter Molyneux(sp).

I just hope Jowood gets the game out more this time, Internet/tv, ad's/interviews/screenshots/videos, etc.

One of the strategies of The elder scrolls 4 is keeping info in and only giving out tid-bits every so often, via interviews/screenshots. Jowood should learn from them on how to handle the drive to advertising/keeping people interested.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:32 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Huh? That's completely stupid.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

quote:

Does having an agreement necessarily mean no immediate distribution?
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:02 pm
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
quote:

Does having an agreement necessarily mean no immediate distribution?

Ah, so what you're tacitly saying is "no." Therefore, Dez's lack of faith is justified, given the track record.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Hey, most of us live in free countries. You can decide for yourself whether the glass is half-full or half-empty.
Still, it will have no influence on the question when Gothic 3 will be released. A discussion about this topic is pointless.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:01 pm
wsteg0693
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, no matter if they get a publisher for North America or not. I am still going to get the game even though I had to order it from England like last time. The extra cost is worth it in my oppinion. I might even order it from Germany if the English version is shipped later.Have to brush up on German as I came to Canada when I was 7 but can still understand and read German except for the real big words.
Post Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:45 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The Gothics are ideal for brushing up your German because they´re using real life language.

Last word on North America is that the negotiations are over and the contract needs to be checked by a third party. It´s obvious that the new management wants to be through with it before the shareholders´ meeting in a few weeks.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:33 am
Stiler
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:

What's stupid?

As a publisher(the main one) they invest in the game, they fund the development of games. So if you were funding the developement of a game would you want the developers to go off and about on things at a whim about the game when it might backfire on the reflection of the game and it's state among things that could hurt sales? That's one of the things a publisher takes notice of.

This is why they have a PR guy that goes between the devs/publishers and lets them know things they can talk about/say and such.

Though sometimes it can be a bit different depending on the excat companies and such.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:14 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
The Gothics are ideal for brushing up your German because they´re using real life language.

Last word on North America is that the negotiations are over and the contract needs to be checked by a third party. It´s obvious that the new management wants to be through with it before the shareholders´ meeting in a few weeks.

That's a good thing. And Jowood also signed a contract with Koch Media concerning the release of Gothic 3, Spellforce 2 and another game in the UK, Italy, etc.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:01 am
Lysander
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

quote:
quote:

What's stupid?

As a publisher(the main one) they invest in the game, they fund the development of games. So if you were funding the developement of a game would you want the developers to go off and about on things at a whim about the game when it might backfire on the reflection of the game and it's state among things that could hurt sales? That's one of the things a publisher takes notice of.

This is why they have a PR guy that goes between the devs/publishers and lets them know things they can talk about/say and such.

Though sometimes it can be a bit different depending on the excat companies and such.

quote:
Generally people take no quote to mean they are referring to the topic starter.

It was a trick. Juvenile, yes, but fun.
Post Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:33 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next