View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Ultima

Author Thread
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-01-28 15:03, Gorath wrote:
Super Avatar Bros. = Ultima 8, due to all those jump&run sequences.

I played U8 too but didn't like it much, even though it had nice sounds and graphics for the time. I watched a friend play Ultima 2 on an Apple 2 back in the early 80's. That was a cool experience for me. I played Ultima 3 on Macintosh back in 87(anyone else miss the Fuzzies and Bobbits and Elves that used to exist in Ultima?), then later Ultima 4 on NES and then played Ultima Underworld 2. Haven't played an Ultima since. I would like to go back and give Ultima 7 a shot though.
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:00 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

make sure that you get the free exult software too, to run ultima 7 on a modern computer.

Hx
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:34 am
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I've play all the Ultimas from V on up, Both Underworlds, and both worlds of ultima(savage frontier and martian dreams).

Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 1:25 pm
Motoki
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Ultima 7 is my all time favorite game. I kind of consider them as one game, even though they are really two.

I actually came in on 7 and played 7 (both parts), 8 and 9, as well as 4 on NES.

Well the thing about 8 is it's a decent game, but a bad Ultima game. If you forget the fact that it's an Ultima game, it's not bad. Not near U7 mind you, but ok. The last patch for it fixed a lot of the annoyances with jumping and such. The story I think was actually kind of decent and the game grew on me the more I played it (like everyone else I hated it at first).

It seems that they left a lot out though and that it has a lot of wasted potential. They cut the world way down, partly for size reasons (they were still using floppies at that point) and partly because once EA came on board they were afraid the noobs would get frustrated by all the walking.

I also suspect that early on there were meant to be party members too, like once for each magic schools (Devon, Shaana Cirus, etc.) The ending was interesting too. Too bad U9 chose to ignore it for the most part.

U9, while undeniably the most beautiful graphically, imo was worse than 8. Again if it were not an Ultima game it was be a passable, though by no means stellar game. Part Zelda, a little Tomb Raider, etc, it's really reminiscent of console based action RPGs.

As for U7, it's really sad that in over 10 years no one has made a game that even comes close.

-MO
Post Sun Mar 10, 2002 6:34 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2