Usergroups
Gothic = a product of bugs and bad programming code
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Listen all you fools, you just don't get it do you?

Gothic says is Windows XP compatible on the box, but it isn't. And that's why it sucks!! That's like buying a car that's says it has a 300hp engine, but when you open the hood, it has a lawnmower engine.

It's called FALSE ADVERTISING.

Many PC game developers really need to get their act together. Garbage like this is not tolerated in the console gaming industry, and the same strict standards should be put upon the PC gaming industry. So that way, we don't have to put up with PC games that are full of bugs and/or incompatible with our systems.

And the more you RPG geeks defend P.O.S. games like Gothic, the more PC game developers will be like "What the heck, these people don't care if we release buggy, incompatible crap, they still buy it."

You people are exactly what these PC game developers are looking for. A bunch of RPG zombies who will play anything, no matter how bad it performs, as long as it is sort of neato.

So go ahead, enjoy your P.O.S. Gothic. Some of us demand more quality than others.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 2:27 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

quote:

On 2002-02-01 08:27, red_dog_1515 wrote:
Listen all you fools, you just don't get it do you?

Gothic says is Windows XP compatible on the box, but it isn't. And that's why it sucks!! That's like buying a car that's says it has a 300hp engine, but when you open the hood, it has a lawnmower engine.

It's called FALSE ADVERTISING.

Many PC game developers really need to get their act together. Garbage like this is not tolerated in the console gaming industry, and the same strict standards should be put upon the PC gaming industry. So that way, we don't have to put up with PC games that are full of bugs and/or incompatible with our systems.

And the more you RPG geeks defend P.O.S. games like Gothic, the more PC game developers will be like "What the heck, these people don't care if we release buggy, incompatible crap, they still buy it."

You people are exactly what these PC game developers are looking for. A bunch of RPG zombies who will play anything, no matter how bad it performs, as long as it is sort of neato.

So go ahead, enjoy your P.O.S. Gothic. Some of us demand more quality than others.

Gothic is not a P.O.S. and it's a HELL of a lot better than "neato." It's the best game, of any genre, I have played since Deus Ex.

If a game tranfixes me like Gothic, I can overlook a few bugs and compatibility problems.

With all the utter CRAP on store shelves right now, none of which can hold a CANDLE to Gothic, I counted myself damn lucky to still be able to find a game so good.

And I am NOT a FOOL, buddy.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:33 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Ohhh wait a minute now, I think I actually saw a coherent sentence in his last post.
"It doesnt work with XP" ah ha, so thats your problem..
You could have saved yourself 12 posts by stating this in the first one.There we go, start with a problem, and then things will slowly start to make sense. So you came here to flame gothic because it crashes on YOU in XP. Thats a big difference from it being a 'bug-filled yadda yadda, whatever' crap you were saying earlier.
Gothic won 13 awards in Germany. None of them were "Garbage of the Year" or "Best Garbage of 2001" or anything like that...I'm pretty sure they were all for things like "graphics", "gameplay", you know, silly things like that
Im not defending Gothic, I was just telling you that all these 'problems' you are having, Im not.
Sucks to be you, d00d.
Anyway, you cant play Gothic on a 486 ... oh yea, and you will need a video card too. Figured since you failed to mention the XP thingy, you would probably fail to mention all the other lil details...like video card (again, you will need one) and CPU speed (486 or PI or PII wont cut it either, might have to get yourself a PIII, d00d )

Also, Gothic is a PC only game, its not for PS2 or XBox yet, maybe this is where you are experiencing bugs? You see, XBox games wont play PC or PS2 stuff, and vice versa...

Case closed. Have a good weekend.
But again, please come back and tell us how *WE* all suq because *YOUR* pc cant handle this game, its very very amusing for Friday

[ This Message was edited by: Shrapnel on 2002-02-01 10:34 ]
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:33 pm
jldawson
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Hi!

I thought I would add to this rather infantile thread because hey, why not.

So red dog, let me ask you a question-- what does it say about you, that you've _returned_ the game and you're still here trying arguing about it? Surely you do not expect to accomplish anything, on a fan discussion group no less.

You call people newbies because they don't have the latest Athlon "Prepare to lower your heating bill" computer?

Get a clue. One of my home computers is an Athlon 1.2 with a Kyro II video card. This computer runs Windows XP. I played all the way through Gothic and never encountered any errors of which you speak. So the real question is: what kind of moron are you for not being able to get it to work properly?

And why in the world are you comparing Gothic to games which use the Q3 engine? Do you think that Gothic is a FPS? Is that why you're so upset? Because it's not; it's an RPG. If you notice in Castle Wolfenstein and games alike, much of the environment in static. In Gothic and UA, there are tons of objects to manipulate, numerous NPCs going about their daily routines, weather systems, etc., which all obviously affect CPU usage.

Of course it could have been faster. There could be fewer bugs. But try and see it for what it is. With all its (supposed) shortcomings, playing Gothic has been a great experience. It's truly one of the best RPGs, or better yet-- games, to be released in the past few years.

You're welcome to miss out on it, or simply see things differently. But coming on here and trying to insult people with your computer specs and speedy FPS games makes you look like a fool who's merely looking for confrontation. Hey, you like FPS games? Go pick up Medal or Honor or something, it's supposed to be good.

This discussion board, I think, is for those who want to discuss Gothic, not whether or not Gothic is fast/good enough for your standards. I'm sure if you wanted help getting it to run on your system, users of this group would try to do just that. Otherwise, please take your petty rantings elsewhere.

-jd

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:22 pm
wesmjohn
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

That's exactly what I've been thinking. If you've already returned the game, what's the point in talking about it on a forum? Go find another game to play and quit trashing Gothic.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:32 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Let me stap in there: Gothic IS Xp compatible. Most games are. The problems people encounter with Gothic and XP are the same problems people encounter with Quake 3 and XP, with Outlook and XP, with moving a mouse and XP:

XP has issues with GeForce, Athlons and VIA chipsets. Period. Not with the games. It's the way DirectX 8.1 is working, it's the driver strength that is needed to run this card stable (some people have to set it to DA to be able to run 3DMark 2001 for longer than 5 minutes).

Bashing Gothic for these problems doesn't reveal computer/hardware/software knowledge. It just reveals that you don't get the point.

Another example: Gothic with the 21.83 detonators displays faulty shadows. Gothic with the 23.11 detonators doesn't have this problem. A reasonable person would conclude that the problem lies with the 21.83 detonator, not with Gothic. Agreed?

So I would suggest that all calm down and stick with the facts.

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 8:49 pm
Darnalak
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Yeesh, I can't beleive ya'll are still goading this feller on. This thread should have fallen quickly to page 2 long ago.

Darnalak
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:17 pm
Llama
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I am very unclear why you (and many others who mention this) feel that this is the way Gothic works??? I don't believe this is happening at all - nothing is happening in software except for the area immediately surrounding you. I suspect it is a bit more than we visually see (for nearby sounds, etc.) but NOT the entire world. Try this and watch carefully - run away from a group of guards or whatever and then sneak up slowly watching carefully. What you will see in most cases is they suddenly are "spawned" at their spot and go through (in many cases) a small "shuffling movement" to get into their proper position for your advance. They are NOT constantly being moved, etc. while you are away - they are merely set into motion when you come near doing whatever is deemed appropriate at the time of day you arrive. Some don't even do that - many just stand in their spot all the time. I am not knocking the game, but this world is NOT constantly being dealt with by software calculations.

No, they walk around, talk to people, eat, sleep, sit, drink, piss, patrol. They just don't stand in a static position until you appear on the screen.

quote:
Again, nope - it is just handling those around you. Wonderful AI???? Let's see, after I killed the Rice Lord and his cronies - all the peasants kept coming back to pick every day - apparently oblivious of his death. After I killed a few of them, they ran away - and just kept coming back until I killed them all - I didn't have to move an inch as their "wonderful AI" kept them coming back to me to face death. You can kill a guard and after a little sleep, everybody forgets you did this heinous act - great AI!!!

Perhaps because they can now work in peace? Perhaps because the rice fields are a great source of income for the pesants? Otherwise, who cares? At least they aren't standing around doing nothing except looking at the sky.

quote:
I am not complaining about the fps of this game (many are) - but why does everybody seem to think it is capped at 20 or 25? I frequently get frame rates up around 38 and I don't have an amazing system by any means (Pentium III 550, 500 meg ram).

Sorry, don't believe you, please make a screen shot next time you get an amazing 38 fps.

quote:
Don't get me wrong - I loved the game. BUT! None of the animals actually wander around doing what an animal does - they stand there waiting for you to come along to kill them. Name a single animal that actually runs away (and then avoids you like an animal really does).

lol, people like you are just incredible.

If I made a game tomorrow, that had a fully interactive world, unlike that of any game in history. One that was a 3D shooter, in which you could perminately alter the landscape by explosives and bullets. Say I had all this wonderful stuff in the game, blowing up trees, mowing them down with guns, or setting them on fire.

You would be one of the people out there complaining that I was only able to code 1 level for the tree to fall over, no matter what height you shot it, it would fall over the same way. Regardless of the fact that no game before offered that type of realism, you would complain that it wasn't good enough. "Why doesn't it break from the spot I shoot it at!!! You suck at making games!!" For some reason that's the type of response I'd expect from you.

You're complaining about moot AI problems, in an AI system that tops any game out there. Animals hunt each other, they run from each other, they attack each other, they eat, they SLEEP, they back off and attack in packs, they flock together when one calls for help.

Any other game, just has the enemy blindly rush at you, without a care in the world. Yet, you seem to find a fault that just because the animal doesn't run away forever that means the AI for this game isn't excellent. Perhaps if you had something to compare it to, a game that bolstered the same style of AI, where people were concerned with their health status, where NPC's won't even mess with you if you're too tough, where certain animals (rippers especially) attack in a pack, and try to surround you while another distracts you.

Whether you believe it or not, animals and NPC's do their daily tasks whether you are there watching them or not.

Just because you can be silly, and exploit some small AI flaw then sneak back and watch the character returning to a predetermined AI routine, does not mean anything, other than the developers didn't expect some ninny to run around trying to spot inconsistancies in their AI.

Go into a forest one day, find a safe spot where you can watch the animals graze. Then just enjoy the show when the wolves wander by at attack the mole rats, then proceed to eat them. Or when an animal gets too close to a shadow beast and it kills it...

Or just play the game, and notice how animals that were at spot A at one point are now dead because while you weren't around they wandered off to spot B, which had a predatorial animal in it...

I will never forget the first time I went to the Free Mine, and while walking through that cave a mole rat came at me full speed. I was like "wtf is he going", then I noticed the wolf chasing him after he had already killed the other mole rat in the path.

Oh the complexity in other games, where all this dramatic AI is scripted, giving you the false deslusion that it's something spectacular, when Gothic's is purely random, based on the locations of creatures at any given point, whether you're watching or not.

[ This Message was edited by: Llama on 2002-02-01 15:44 ]
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:41 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Man, dont even feed the troll.
But your proof alone is right there in all the quotes...
He's doing all of this:
*Taking the time to sneak up on guards
*Watching the behavior of the animals (LOL)
*Took the time to figure out the evil act/ sleep trick
*Checking framerates, which are good for his standard
and my favorite:
"Don't get me wrong - I loved the game. BUT!"

I'm assuming these are all taken from the same guy (I read post 1 and post 12 of his, that was all). Now I dont know about you, but if I dont like a game just for the BASICS of the gameplay, Im sure as hell not gonna take more of my time to start checking out those kind of minute details.
Those are the types of things people do when they are very interested in a game. Hell, I love Gothic and even *I* wasnt studying the nature of the animals when I wasnt attacking them. Who is this guy, the crocodile hunter from Animal Planet? LOL
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:11 pm
red_dog_1515
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Rendelius, sorry to burst your bubble, but it's not Windows XP that has the problem, it's that P.O.S. Gothic. After all the complaint posts on these message boards, if you still can't see that, then you are either a Piranha Bytes employee, blind fanboy, or an imbecile.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:27 pm
method
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i will bet you 200 dollars red dog is a counter-strike player
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:54 pm
method
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

by the way - yes the problem is in your windows xp.

on my pentium celeron 500 mhz 128 mb ram gothic ran without any crashes at all but slowly.

on my new athlon xp 1900+ 1gb ddr ecc ram geforce3ti500 gothic crashes when i come out of the game.

both on windows xp

some people are mature enough to handle it until they beat it (method) others arent (red_dog)

[ This Message was edited by: method on 2002-02-01 16:57 ]
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:56 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

Btw. i forgot to mention that i have xp too, and had problems with nvidia drivers, Gothic runs still as good as it runned on 98se. Alt tabbing causes crash on my comp(oh yes my comp, dunno if anyone else has this problem?) if done several times.

ps. I hate mondays...

Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:19 pm
method
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

me, too
good thing it's friday
Post Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:26 pm
Joey Nipps
Orcan High Command
Orcan High Command

On 2002-02-01 15:41, Llama wrote:
"No, they walk around, talk to people, eat, sleep, sit, drink, piss, patrol."

You miss the point - these actions are NOT taking place outside of your viewing/listening area. For instance, I hope you don't really think that when you are in the OC that the NPCs in the NC are still doing their thing?!?!?! This is NOT a persistant world - it doesn't have to be since this is NOT a multiplayer, real time environment like EQ and others. The animals in areas you are not currently interacting with are NOT eating, etc.

"Perhaps because they can now work in peace? Perhaps because the rice fields are a great source of income for the pesants?
Otherwise, who cares?"

Who cares? I do and so do many others - this sort of pseudo AI is what makes for stupid, unreal worlds. In NO real world situation would a peasant (having run away because I was killing his brethren) keep coming back to simply stand there and let me kill him in turn! In NO way does it make sense for a guard to allow me to pass a gate area he JUST told me I couldn't pass - simply because I raised my sword and ran through! This is worse than having NO AI at all. It makes for inane game play. And if you - and others don't care - then you will keep getting crummy AI.

"Sorry, don't believe you, please make a screen shot next time you get an amazing 38 fps."

You tell me how to post it and I will - I already have the screenshot - several in fact. I just love the way some people will call another a liar so quickly. It took me all of 30 seconds in the game to have several over 30fps - not that it matters since the only thing that matters is that the game looks good.

Post Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:32 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next