Usergroups
Grimoire-Beta Test Updates
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Ditto what Corwin said ... it is not insanely difficult, but it does have it's moments ... especially with out a manual!

Didn't get much playing time in over the weekend .. to swamped with other stuff.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:28 am
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm really glad to hear that it's a game and not a soapbox for Cleve's political/social views. After reading his comments on usenet for the last several years, I really don't want to see that side of Cleve show up in his game.

From reading between the lines, I've gathered that it might be difficult to pick up on what you're supposed to be doing in the beginning. Is that the case? Corwin said that even knowing what to do he's not past the shareware area in 30 hours. That either means the game is really huge, or that there is a lot of meaningless backtracking taking place. Which is it? Is there more to the game than just large battles? If the average combat takes 5 minutes or more to resolve I'll admit that I'll pass on the game. Wizardry 8 was incredibly boring because each battle might take 15-20 minutes! to resolve.
Post Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:50 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Since Corwin takes such a beating every time he posts, I thought I'd throw out a brief status report.

I think a couple of the testers are in the home stretch for finishing the game. I haven't gotten to spend much time with it the past couple weeks, but my "rate of progress" has increased. We've tracked down a couple hundred buggies so far. Before the trolls get excited, many of them are things like spelling and formatting. The list of crashes we've found is about 10. Heck, professionally developed games get released with more crash bugs than that.

The game is going to appeal to "complete-ists" more than power gamers. Players that just aren't satisfied until every inch of every map is uncovered and every little quest is completed will have a field day with Grimoire. Folks that prefer to rip thru a game's main story might get a little frustrated.

My party is getting ready to move up to 5th level. I'm finding that survival isn't overly difficult at this point, unlike when my crew was level 1 and 2. Some balance issues have been added to the bug list, so I expect some tuning is planned.

@nut- I think a big part of the time issue is due to not having a manual. The interface is somewhat intuitive, but it still takes several hours before you really get comfy. I expect having a manual would significantly reduce the time spent "coming up to speed". That said, the game is freakin' huge and I'm still in the shareware portion.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:31 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner

My party is getting ready to move up to 5th level. I'm finding that survival isn't overly difficult at this point, unlike when my crew was level 1 and 2. Some balance issues have been added to the bug list, so I expect some tuning is planned.

Sounds just like Wizardy 6. I like games that are hardest at the start, wouldn't that be just like it is in real life?
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:57 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

Cleve has said several times that the beginning difficulty of Wiz 6 was what he was aiming for. The game is HUGE. The shareware section is Huge. Not only do most battles NOT take 5-10 minutes (if you don't count re-do them several times for getting killed ) but the ENTER key allows you to speed through a battle if it's easy or doesn't need you to change tactics each round. Hold it down and the battle plays itself out super fast. I use that feature a LOT, but I don't recommend it early on till you know what strategies to use in each situation.

I'm in the home stretch, but most are still in the shareware part. I have the advantage of playing through it last year, so I know what to do and where to go. It took me a LOT longer my first time through. Once you get into the main part of the game (post shareware section) it's VERY easy to get lost unless you label EVERY exit from EVERY map. I missed one and it took me half an hour to find the entrance to a place I was looking for. It's also easy to miss areas if you plan to return to an exit later. Following one particular path can lead through say 10 maps and by the time you get through it all, you've forgotton about the exit to check out 10 maps back, plus all the other ones on the maps you've just done that might lead to somewhere else!!! Make LOTS od notes, you WILL need them.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:51 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Damn I loved how you could hold down the enter key in Wiz6, espically towards the end where there was this encounter next to a porticullis that keeps happening everytime you move on the square and you just hold down enter and the fight finishes really quickly and you get TONS of exp, I think I remember taking someone from level 1 to 16 in like 30 minutes there - provided the rest of your party are like level 20+...I guess I will have to check this game out
Post Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:40 am
Naked_Lunch
Village Leader
Village Leader

Grimoire sucks...it sucks..it SUCK SUCK SUCKS SUCK SUCKS SUCKS!!! Cleve is a crazy fuck with the writing skills of an emo 13-year-old and it shows in this shit game. People who waste their time with this bullshit instead of actively supporting other, and infinitely better RPGs are dumbfucks who plead their allegience to a nazi fuckhead. :rp_dance:
Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:53 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of a violation of our forum rules. This is the sort of thing that will get you banned. So, before you hit that submit button, think about whether or not you want me to stuff your butt in my chipper/shredder and shoot you out the door. Thank you.
Post Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:00 pm
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Val
And here, ladies and gentlemen, is a prime example of a violation of our forum rules. This is the sort of thing that will get you banned. So, before you hit that submit button, think about whether or not you want me to stuff your butt in my chipper/shredder and shoot you out the door. Thank you.

Now that's a gruesome visual. I hope y'all get a handle on the situation here in the forums. Anyway, back to Grimore...

The reports here are shaping up well. It's really piqued my interest. I'm a completist type. It took me forever to get through MM6 and 7. I also never got into Wiz 8 because in the little bit of time I tried it, battles seemed to take forever. I still have the game, but have never reloaded it on my computer. I don't want to take 20 minutes to finish one fight. I must have been doing something wrong 'cause that game got rave reviews.

If Grimore has good balanced gameplay, I'm there. On another positive note, I found out how to get MM7 working on my XP pro system. A wonderful guy calling himself Mok had created a patch to allow the game to run *without any* tricks. No compatibilty setting, no dxdiag setting...nothing. I installed it over the 1.1 patch and now it just works. I'm so happy I want to post it everywhere. I'm amazed at the programming skill out there in the gaming/RPG community...and I'm grateful for it too. So, it looks like I've got plenty to keep me busy until Grimore comes out.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:54 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

There is a utility for Wiz8 called "Wizfast". It speeds up combat significantly by making the critters do their walking MUCH more quickly. As much of a Wiz8 addict as I am, I could probably not play the game without Wizfast. Several of us here have the program (it's a very small little utility that you run one time to adjust combat speed) if you would like it. If you wish, send an email to dteowner@sbcglobal.net and I will reply back with Wizfast attached.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:16 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

http://home.comcast.net/~sucherva/wizfast.exe

You can always find it on my website. Wizfast has a permanent home there. Why we don't host it here on RPGDot, I'll never know.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:05 am
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Val
http://home.comcast.net/~sucherva/wizfast.exe

You can always find it on my website. Wizfast has a permanent home there. Why we don't host it here on RPGDot, I'll never know.

Much thanks. I just downloaded it. Now it looks like I get to play 2 games while I wait for Grimore.

This has been a very good day.

Ceci
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:59 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

You're in for a real treat. Combats will still occasionally get a bit drawn out, but nothing like what you're facing now.

@Val- is there something we can do about that? The Dot should host that file--it's so small that thousands of people could DL it without generating any bandwidth.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:08 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

@cecirdr: Always happy to be of service.

@dteowner: Well, since there is no WizardryDot, I guess no one ever got around to it. Hmm... I'll take it up with the higher-ups. We refer people to the program often enough that it should probably be in the gallery.
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:14 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well the tough thing for me about this project is just that i never played wizardry 6 or might and magic 6. So really I have those two games to play before I get into this retro game I think... and I think wizardry 6 is freeware.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:07 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next