Gothic Sucks
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Navaros
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Gothic Sucks

Some of you may recognize this thread from another Gothic Forum. I worked very hard on this review of Gothic, and when I posted it on that other Forum I almost felt bad afterwards for being unusually cruel to the simple-minded. The people on this site overall seem more mature and rational, and since I worked so hard on the review I decided I might as well see what kind of responses I get on this board, so here we go:

Gothic sucks. Here is a detailed breakdown of why Gothic
Sucks:

1. Graphics: The graphics suck. Anyone who has seen a non-modified screenshot or played Gothic understands that it's very ugly to look at compared to other games using similar types of environments.

2. Voice Acting & Writing: Most of the voice acting *really*
sucks. The exceptions are the guys who did Gomez, Raven, Thorus, Saturas, Milten, Xardas, Scorpio, Smithy (which is probably just your only two qualified voice actors doing multiple voices for all the characters i mentioned). The rest of those voice actors were horrible, *ESPECIALLY* your main character who was grossly under-qualified for the job. Note: I am talking about the English version of the game. I don't know where you hired them all from but next time I suggest you go to North America and hire some real talent for a change instead of using incompetent local voice actors who barely speak English. It really detracts from the RPG experience. The writing was just as bad. Again, spend a buck or two and hire a competent translator next time. Btw, I am *STILL* wondering how the heck stuff gets into the Barrier but can't get out. That make no sense whatsoever and is never addressed or explained in the game at all. If there is a hole in the Barrier for things to pass through, then surely things can move in and out. That's common sense.

3. Gameplay is pathetic: Gothic has one of the worst play-control setups I've ever seen. Controlling your character with a Sword is awkward, clunky and non-responsive. Not fun at all.

4. The interface is a chore: Trading anything takes forever. Getting rid of junk takes forever since each piece of junk has it's own box, even if you have thousands of pieces of junk on you, all which have their own box. Accessing your inventory also takes forever. To switch gear you often have to drop an item on the ground and pick it back up again even if you start with both items already in your inventory. Even worse, you have to cycle thru endless screens of junk to find necessary pieces of inventory on many occasions. This sort of backwards, time-wasting, poorly-done interface is the kind of thing I'd expect from an RPG released for a 286 platform.

5. Sound & music is worthless: There is not even any listenable music in Gothic. It might as well not even be there. Only exception is the Old Camp music. That is at least decent (tho nowhere near as good as music in other games of the genre). The main "travel music" is grating, shallow and repetitive as are all the other bits of music. Once more I have simliar advice for PB: hire someone *qualified* to make music before you let any be included into the game. The "ambient sound" is even worse. There is only about 2 or 3 different lines in the whole game and they keep being repeated infinitely over and over again, non-stop. Good way to drive a gamer insane. Next time there is a killing spree, instead of looking to Doom/Quake/Duke Nukem/Soldier of Fortune, it's much more logical to look at Gothic.

6. I am not a junkie: I do not use illegal drugs. Therefore, I do not appreciate having illegal drug use being depicted in a game I paid for. Tho Gothic does not *depict* illegal drug use, Gothic *GLORIFIES* illegal drug use. This is utterly disgusting and I wish Gothic would be banned from the shelves of any non Adult-Only stores for this very reason. PB is telling kids to go out and use illegal drugs in every spare moment and that doing so is "cool!" I know most of the PB development team must be junkies and maybe that's why they glorify illegal drug use, but it's NOT cool and if you guys weren't so busy frying what little brains you started with by using illegal drugs then maybe your game wouldn't have turned out so crappy and it might have sold a decent number of copies.

7. The Roleplaying Model/Story of Gothic is a farce: Most of your character decisions are irrelevant and have no real effect on gameplay. It doesn't matter what Camp you choose, you still do all the same Missions even tho it makes no sense at all to be working for a Camp that you are against. Gothic provides the *ILLUSION* in Chapter 1 that it will actually *matter* what Camp you join, when in reality Gothic just has *one* generic plot that makes no sense whatsoever, not three. This just makes the poor story of Gothic far worse off because the insanity of presenting the player with what appears to be a big choice and then showing the player: "we were just leading you on, your choice makes no real difference in this game at all but you're already 17 hours into the game so it's too late for you to do anything about it now!" will make any rational person hate PB for being misrepresentative and misleading. I am beginning to think that they did this exclusively to get good Reviews from critics: most critics won't play past Chapter 1 to write their Review of the game so will be presenting a false impression to the readers by claiming Gothic has open-ended gameplay and that your decisions actually make a difference for how the game plays out. In reality, Gothic has Zero replayability.

8. Too few enemy models: There is a total of what, 10 enemy models in the entire game? Talk about BORING. No variety at all. Kill the same 10 enemy models thousands of times. Yawn.

9. Bugs galore: There are tons of gameplay bugs in this game that really desperately need to be patched. If I bothered to write them all down as I went along, this entire post would probably be twice as long as the one you're reading.

10. The Ending was limp: 50 hours of tedium, and I get to see a 30 second Quicktime movie that doesn't explain anything about the story followed by one 10-second long voice-acting line and that's it. If Gothic was actually a good game, then I'd be livid over such an impotent ending.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:28 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

1. Just the opposite. 2 years ago, when the game was released, Gothic was by far the most beautiful RPG out there. I´m not sure there is one which looks _clearly_ better now, given you have tweaked Gothic adequately. Not even Morrowind (which of course has a few visuals I would like to see in Gothic).

2. translation was done by a studio in London. As a non native speaker I don´t feel qualified to judge the translation. German texts were great, the voice acting better than average.

3. Your opinion. I _want_ control over my char´s actions, I hate the autopilot-like controls other games use. The incredibly weak documentation was a grave mistake. It tells a lot if many reviewers didn´t even notice you can use the mouse or a gamepad.
Gameplay was excellent, simplicity was part of the concept.

4. The interface is a mixed bag. Trading sucked, but it was refreshing not to have to click the mouse for every single item I want to examine. G2 has better controls.

5. I completely disagree. The music was better than the pathetic crap other games use. Ambient stuff could have been more diverse, but at least it was there! Many other games have NPCs doing nothing until you talk to them.

6. Okay, if you think so. I found the lack of polical correctness refreshing. The drug thing was no big deal here in Germany. It´s only a game.

7. It has replayability. After chapter 1 it´s of course only a linear game. Whether you like this or not is a matter of taste.

8. Feel free to count them in the cheat guide.

9. Agreed. Another patch should have been done. Although for some reason the English version was more buggy than the German one with the same revision.

10. It´s a Bink movie. And yes, the ending sucks. It was no big deal for me because the game was great.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:30 am
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne

Though you try to appeal to a ‘more mature and rational’ public I must say that your review over all appears to be a frustration-based-hate-mail. Since you worked hard on it(and I am a ‘mature and rational’ wannabe) I’ll try to take is for what you intend it to be: a review

1. Graphics: what is your video card? A voodoo3? The graphics are great! The choice for a very early-grey-brown colour scheme didn’t really appeal to me at first, but over all it adds to the grim atmosphere.

quote:

Don’t base you final judgement of a game on the translation…

quote:
3. Gameplay is pathetic: Gothic has one of the worst play-control setups.

If you’d have said that the manual sucked, or that the lack of a tutorial was a shame, I would have agreed. After you learned the controls, they work out fine (at least for me…)

quote:
4. The interface is a chore: Trading anything takes forever.

Again, the manual… no tutorial… there are shortcuts for this. (Hold ctr while you use the arrow-keys make more objects at one time jump over)

quote:
5. Sound & music is worthless:

A matter of taste…

quote:
6. I am not a junkie: I do not use illegal drugs.

Where do you live? Did it ever appeal to you that in some counties they have a more liberal approach to soft drugs? Eh…
Are you realy serious about this. I think hitting people with a sword is illegal in most countries…
I think the fun of a crpg is that you can do thing you normaly would not experience.

quote:
7. The Roleplaying Model/Story of Gothic is a farce:

Come on! The non-linearity is indeed a *ILLUSION*, a very well crafted one, that ensures that the game adapts to you persone choise/style of play. It does not provide a great replay value, or something like that. I think no one ever claimed Gothic had a real open-ended gameplay.

quote:
9. Bugs galore: There are tons of gameplay bugs in this game that really desperately need to be patched.

Tons? Yes, there are bugs. Not more or less than any rpg on the marked has. If you want a bugless game: play boardgames.

The bottom line;
I wonder; might it be the case that this is about not liking this type of game, instead of gothic being so awfull?

Yours,

Parcival – mature and rational
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:33 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree that Gothic basically sucks.

Combat and interface were horrible. Holding down 2 buttons just to do the simplest stuff like picking upp something is ree-diculous.
Combat was just unnecessarily complex and boring. It was also disgustingly easy for the most part. Just swing to the sides while backing and you're good off. Made me feel like I was playing a retard version of the console fighting games (up, down, up, kick, down, for super special attack kk?)

Dialogue was pretty weak, as was the main plot.

The game world felt pretty shallow and small. There were like 2 extra dungeons (the rest were plot connected). And those dungeons were small and had no story or anything to them.

I really had nothing against the drugz... they added a touch of "realism" to the game.

The game offers NO flexibility. You can only choose that one character and the skill system is a disgusting joke. You can more or less be "good" at everything. Which of course decreases replayability.

As for the graphics. They look like slightly improved old Everquest graphics, meaning they have NOTHING on a beautiful game like Morrowind. Man, it even looks worse than Arx Fatalis, which SHOULD give you a sense of how bad the graphics are.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:46 am
Parcival

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy

As for the graphics. They look like slightly improved old Everquest graphics, meaning they have NOTHING on a beautiful game like Morrowind.

I guess you think Ultima I and A bart's tale have also pretty weak graphics...
No, seriously, before you start complaining;
- check the release date of the games before you compare them
- mention you grapgics card.

Gothic seems to gain much more from a better graphics card than morrowind.

And weren't you at least a little impressed by the hight of the mountains, the design of the dungeons, they are real vast underground realms. Compared to that I think the Morrowind dungeons are small and uninteresting corridors.

Yours

Parc
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:43 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Uh, what "vast" dungeons would that be? The goblin cavern which was like 4 small rooms and a corridor? Or the undead tower dungeon which was like one long tunnel with nothing else?
There was ONE pretty large dungeon. And that was the orc burial grounds.
Morrowind had several large dungeons except for the final one. Plus it had a SIGNIFICANTLY larger number of dungeons too.

I wasn't the one strarting to compare Morrowind's and Gothic's graphics. But I'd just like to point out the differances in something as simple as water between the two.

Oh, another thing annoying about Gothic: You can't kill someone by hitting them countless times with the axe of merciless slaughter, oh no, you must do YET ANOTHER moronic key combo to strike them at their heart and twist your weapon around in a RIDUAL UV DETH.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:12 pm
Parcival

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
Uh, what "vast" dungeons would that be? (...) There was ONE pretty large dungeon. And that was the orc burial grounds.

I had the old mine in mind. What i thought was impressive was not how 'large' the dungeons are (10 hours of gameplay per dungeon/ 200 rooms etc) , but that they are 'large in the way they are crafted' - they suggest a lot of space by their architecture. In this way I was disappointed bij Morrowind (though in general i like the game); though the world is big because you can walk for hours, it is so limited in its hight and in its visual suggestion of space. Everywhere i came had this 'local hill area' feeling, while climbing on the highest peak in Gothic gave me a 'rocky mountains' kick.

Yours,

Parcival
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:53 pm
Scribbles
Unsent
Unsent

Dont you ever quit Navaros? have you not seen how many people do not like you and dont care what you have to say, ever? Myrthos, he posted this exact same topic with the exact same material at the JoWooD forum. i see no reason to have this on the board. personaly i consider this guy a spammer

oh, and Navaros, the "simple minded" people on the JoWooD forum are almost the exact same people on this forum, so now you tell me who is "simple minded"!

on the JoWooD forum i am known as FyRe, on this forum i am known (to most) as Jrax

Broken in Exile
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:01 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Keep your cool, people.

While words such as 'sucks' hardly count as qualified critique, Navaros made a very detailed statement of why he didn't like the game which is his right. It's also his good right to publish his opinion on several boards. The population rarely will be exactly the same, even if many people frequent all of the above-mentioned forums. Attacking people is a no-go, so even if Navaros' statement about simple-minded people might not have been very gentle, it's not a valid reason for attacking him back in kind.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:45 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Gothic Sucks

quote:
Originally posted by Navaros
Some of you may recognize this thread from another Gothic Forum. I worked very hard on this review of Gothic, and when I posted it on that other Forum I almost felt bad afterwards for being unusually cruel to the simple-minded. The people on this site overall seem more mature and rational, and since I worked so hard on the review I decided I might as well see what kind of responses I get on this board, so here we go:

Sucks:

1. Graphics: The graphics suck. Anyone who has seen a non-modified screenshot or played Gothic understands that it's very ugly to look at compared to other games using similar types of environments.

sucks. The exceptions are the guys who did Gomez, Raven, Thorus, Saturas, Milten, Xardas, Scorpio, Smithy (which is probably just your only two qualified voice actors doing multiple voices for all the characters i mentioned). The rest of those voice actors were horrible, *ESPECIALLY* your main character who was grossly under-qualified for the job. Note: I am talking about the English version of the game. I don't know where you hired them all from but next time I suggest you go to North America and hire some real talent for a change instead of using incompetent local voice actors who barely speak English. It really detracts from the RPG experience. The writing was just as bad. Again, spend a buck or two and hire a competent translator next time. Btw, I am *STILL* wondering how the heck stuff gets into the Barrier but can't get out. That make no sense whatsoever and is never addressed or explained in the game at all. If there is a hole in the Barrier for things to pass through, then surely things can move in and out. That's common sense.

3. Gameplay is pathetic: Gothic has one of the worst play-control setups I've ever seen. Controlling your character with a Sword is awkward, clunky and non-responsive. Not fun at all.

4. The interface is a chore: Trading anything takes forever. Getting rid of junk takes forever since each piece of junk has it's own box, even if you have thousands of pieces of junk on you, all which have their own box. Accessing your inventory also takes forever. To switch gear you often have to drop an item on the ground and pick it back up again even if you start with both items already in your inventory. Even worse, you have to cycle thru endless screens of junk to find necessary pieces of inventory on many occasions. This sort of backwards, time-wasting, poorly-done interface is the kind of thing I'd expect from an RPG released for a 286 platform.

5. Sound & music is worthless: There is not even any listenable music in Gothic. It might as well not even be there. Only exception is the Old Camp music. That is at least decent (tho nowhere near as good as music in other games of the genre). The main "travel music" is grating, shallow and repetitive as are all the other bits of music. Once more I have simliar advice for PB: hire someone *qualified* to make music before you let any be included into the game. The "ambient sound" is even worse. There is only about 2 or 3 different lines in the whole game and they keep being repeated infinitely over and over again, non-stop. Good way to drive a gamer insane. Next time there is a killing spree, instead of looking to Doom/Quake/Duke Nukem/Soldier of Fortune, it's much more logical to look at Gothic.

6. I am not a junkie: I do not use illegal drugs. Therefore, I do not appreciate having illegal drug use being depicted in a game I paid for. Tho Gothic does not *depict* illegal drug use, Gothic *GLORIFIES* illegal drug use. This is utterly disgusting and I wish Gothic would be banned from the shelves of any non Adult-Only stores for this very reason. PB is telling kids to go out and use illegal drugs in every spare moment and that doing so is "cool!" I know most of the PB development team must be junkies and maybe that's why they glorify illegal drug use, but it's NOT cool and if you guys weren't so busy frying what little brains you started with by using illegal drugs then maybe your game wouldn't have turned out so crappy and it might have sold a decent number of copies.

7. The Roleplaying Model/Story of Gothic is a farce: Most of your character decisions are irrelevant and have no real effect on gameplay. It doesn't matter what Camp you choose, you still do all the same Missions even tho it makes no sense at all to be working for a Camp that you are against. Gothic provides the *ILLUSION* in Chapter 1 that it will actually *matter* what Camp you join, when in reality Gothic just has *one* generic plot that makes no sense whatsoever, not three. This just makes the poor story of Gothic far worse off because the insanity of presenting the player with what appears to be a big choice and then showing the player: "we were just leading you on, your choice makes no real difference in this game at all but you're already 17 hours into the game so it's too late for you to do anything about it now!" will make any rational person hate PB for being misrepresentative and misleading. I am beginning to think that they did this exclusively to get good Reviews from critics: most critics won't play past Chapter 1 to write their Review of the game so will be presenting a false impression to the readers by claiming Gothic has open-ended gameplay and that your decisions actually make a difference for how the game plays out. In reality, Gothic has Zero replayability.

8. Too few enemy models: There is a total of what, 10 enemy models in the entire game? Talk about BORING. No variety at all. Kill the same 10 enemy models thousands of times. Yawn.

9. Bugs galore: There are tons of gameplay bugs in this game that really desperately need to be patched. If I bothered to write them all down as I went along, this entire post would probably be twice as long as the one you're reading.

10. The Ending was limp: 50 hours of tedium, and I get to see a 30 second Quicktime movie that doesn't explain anything about the story followed by one 10-second long voice-acting line and that's it. If Gothic was actually a good game, then I'd be livid over such an impotent ending.

No, WRONG

You suck, Gothic is one if not the best RPGs on PC {imo} it has so much stuff, day/night system, people doing their things..the posibilites ...everything...the graphics are either sometimes really good {night time at camps with fire etc, and swamp camp } and sometimes looks alittle dated...but you should look past this pretty quick cause the gameplay more than makes up for it.

-Guru,Gang Starr |Skills|
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:16 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Stop all this 'sucking' business now.
This will be the last reminder.
The thread's title may be flame bait - but still no justification for personal attacks.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:30 pm
Lanael
City Guard
City Guard

quote:
Parcival wrote :
Where do you live? Did it ever appeal to you that in some counties they have a more liberal approach to soft drugs? Eh…
Are you realy serious about this. I think hitting people with a sword is illegal in most countries…

Muahahah !

Aaaaah... youngsters playing....
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:57 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

quote:
Some of you may recognize this thread from another Gothic Forum. I worked very hard on this review of Gothic, and when I posted it on that other Forum I almost felt bad afterwards for being unusually cruel to the simple-minded. The people on this site overall seem more mature and rational, and since I worked so hard on the review I decided I might as well see what kind of responses I get on this board, so here we go:.

I don't even wish to comment this:)

quote:

Sucks:

Heh I instead of that think craphics are auite nice and there is lots of detail to be found everywhere. Then you should try to remember how old the game is now(two years).Water could have been made better-looking, but thats all i can think of..sure some models are not that detailed but i can live with it.I don't play games because of craphics.Morrowind for example was a beautifull sight for eye but lacked much in other areas IMO.

quote:

About voice acting..its a just matter of oppinion do you like it or not.Most people think the characters in this game were one the most memorable ever seen in computer games.Sure there were some suckers but most of the times they sounded quite good or just bloody excellent(Saturas,Xardas!)

Magic barrier was made the way, stuff gets in, but nothing gets out alive.Sure can throw rock through it,but nothing living can get through alive.If you watched the intro, you should know that something went wrong and mages couldn't control the barrier anymore the way the were planing and were trapped inside of it aswell.

quote:

Controls were hard to get use to, i agree.However once you learned them it was a piece of cake to control your character.I particularly liked the fighting system.

quote:

Here i have to say you are 100% right.Trading was a pain in the arse, but did you know you were able to trade 1 or 10 or 100 at once units if you wanted.I've heard gothic2 manages to do this better.

quote:

This also a matter of taste,what-kind of music you prefer.I think music, we heard in gothic was awesome.It really added the Middle Ages-fantasy mood for me.It just fitted perfectly in the game.

quote:

Oh bloody great, such an intresting point you have there .Sir, you are taking games way too seriously.What next, you tell killing people with with the sword is wrong?SO because killing, using drugs etc is wrong in real life we can't do it in games?I never thought Gothic was made for kids..Besides if i remember right not all the drugs are illegal in all the countries.

quote:

The plot isn't open-ended, but the way you play the game is.Sorry Just now i donät have time to write longer reply, but perhaps later:).

quote:

What are you talking about?Have you been smoking too much weed ?Did you even play the game??I can remember orcs of many kinds.From hunters all up to dangerous shamans.Skeletons, skeleton mages, many different animals/monsters to threath your precious life, undeads, humans,golems and even trolls..

quote:

All i can say is PATCH the damn game then.Yes it was buggy, but thats why there are patchies avaible, which fix the most problems.

quote:

Yes ending wasn't anything special but the stroy continues in the second part.I think Pb was running out of time to make a better ending.Still i'm very happy with the game.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:25 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

quote:
6. I am not a junkie: I do not use illegal drugs. Therefore, I do not appreciate having illegal drug use being depicted in a game I paid for.

Didn't know that Swampweed was an illegal narcotic . I am also not a junkie, but I don't feel offended when "drugs" are used in a game or anything else in life. Get over it, or just say no .

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:39 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

jeez people, havent any of you ever heard the phrase "Dont feed the trolls?"
Why else would this boy come into the #1 most pro-gothic site on the net and start off with his blatantly obvious (and clearly effective) attempt at dragging you all in here to listen to his drivel.

So Navaros, you decided to come in here and discuss well documented flaws on an almost 3-year old game that sucked so bad you played it right to the very end?...

*tosses the troll a cookie and waves him goodbye*

loser
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:49 pm

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next