View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Some minor concerns about G2...

I{ve got a few concerns about G2...

I{m working on a Bolivian machine which doesn{t appear to want to do apostrophes. Ahem. Sorry.

I{m very much looking forward to this sequel. I wrote a couple of small mods for the G1, and I{m desperately hoping they release some form of editing support this time round. With the original, the tools were powerful, but unstable and very complicated, so little was done with them. I hope that doesn{t dissuade Piranha Bytes from trying again.

However, the real point of this post is just to comment that while the Gothic engine has a lot of fantastic elements, PB, in my view, did not take full advantage of it. There is immense support for living, breathing characters in this engine, both in terms of their individual behaviour, and in the interaction between groups. Despite this, they insisted on sending us down dungeons that were already dull by the time Tomb Raider III rolled round.

A couple of examples, where flashes of greatness nearly made it through the more conventional wander-round-a-fantasy-landscape plot:

SPOILERS...

When the free mine was seized by the old camp:

This was a great idea - changing the political landscape, the very backbone of the story like this - but they presented it as a fait accompli, when the engine is perfectly capable of letting you observe or plan or command this kind of attack. Imagine if you{d been part of this raid, sending your troops to attack or defend specific points, or fetch help or equipment, etc etc. I can guarantee this can be done, as I wrote a mod (unpublished, but playable) where a battle scenario was fought through like this, with the AI happily coping wth competing groups slugging it out.

Your exile from the old camp:

I think they got this more right. You did actually, in game, find yourself prevented by guards from going home, and people{s attitudes to you did change. The treatment was a bit superficial, with two of the main characters just flipped into a new AI state, but it was still a great try, hampered only a little by developer time constraints, I think.

I sincerely hope G2 exploits it{s fantastic AI and scripting options in this kind of way, rather than concentrate on having 150 weapons as opposed to 100, or 26 monster types rather than 20 etc etc...

I haven{t seen any comments from PB about the quality of the story... Given that they demonstrably have the ability to move gaming closer to the human drama conventional in other media, I just hope they don{t shove us down another dungeon to get the sword of Zog.

Thought I{d share that with you.

Cheers,

A.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:28 am
DzD
Unknown
Unknown

Oh, I remember that! Going to a dungeon here, there, over there and there.

I also hope they make better tools, so you can make more good mods.

And fighting a battle would also be cool!

And if you could have more alteratives, like choosing if you want to stay in the old camp and I fight the New camp instead of getting kicked out from the Old camp. But I guess all that will come in the future... We'll just have to wait and see.
His latest, a hit
Cuz the Little One's a mystery to me

Written by - dteowner
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 12:54 am
oE|Crusader
Village Leader
Village Leader

it would be cool if you gained "rank" you could give "lesser ones" commands, so like this

(im a high guard, the other guy is a smith)

me:Make me a sword
smith:sure thing
(menu comes up asking what amount of stuff, for adding/taking away things you could increas the price)

add attack point +15 value
add amount of strenght needed -10 value
add fancy +120 value

etc.
)

Smith:That will take (so many) days, come back for it, SIR!
me:okay

(walks away, comes back so many days later)

smith:Heres your sword, you owe me (so much ore)

etc.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:00 am
darkmage
City Guard
City Guard

i think the picks should actualy get you ore when you mine it, that would have been really cool
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:55 am
TheSleeper8119
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

quote:
Originally posted by darkmage
i think the picks should actualy get you ore when you mine it, that would have been really cool

i strongely agree!!! i was suprised when i found u couldn't get ore from mining. i hope gothis 2 improves a lot of things...though i still love gothic.
Post Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:49 pm
Alistair
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Hmm, the point of the original post, was that I don{t want PB to concentrate on modelling pick axe use, I want them to concentrate on real drama, with real people, as they appear to be the only dev group capable of even stumbling in this direction...

A.
Post Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:27 pm