Changing the Campaign?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Changing the Campaign?

Can you open the Chapters in the toolset and modify them? All I seem to be able to open is the Prelude. Is it me or is the game designed like this? Does anyone know how to change\hack the game to make it work? I think I've found a way but my computer is still grinding away so I'm not sure if it's working.. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:23 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

if you wanna ruin your experiance..... ooookaaay....

goto open module and there are two types I THINK user created, and then there is Campaign... open that and you will see Prelude, Chapters 1,2,3 and 4. Have fun, those modules take a LONG time to open.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:15 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: Changing the Campaign?

quote:
Originally posted by IDPuterGuy
Can you open the Chapters in the toolset and modify them? All I seem to be able to open is the Prelude. Is it me or is the game designed like this? Does anyone know how to change\hack the game to make it work? I think I've found a way but my computer is still grinding away so I'm not sure if it's working.. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Well, I'm not very keen on helping anyone cheat... I think it deprives you of the actual game experience. All I will tell you is that you can open each Chapter individually in the toolset only AFTER you have actually started that chapter. For instance, once you have finished chapter 1 and started chapter 2, you will then be able to open these in the toolset, and play around in them.
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:07 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Cheating?

I don't consider it cheating but I'm not going to change anything yet anyways. I really don't like the idea of having henchmen all the time so I might need to beef up my character a little if the game is to hard. It's all about having fun for me.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:51 am
Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Or you could just use the difficulty slider.

I Hate Cheaters.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:08 pm
IDPuterGuy
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It's Not Cheating!

Cheating infers that your taking something from someone. If to enjoy the game you desire it to be easier than the game manufactures your not "cheating someone." What you are doing is changing the game so you enjoy it, the game you bought for yourself to play! Cheating would be if me and you were going to play an module and I created a module and gave my character the absolute best of everthing. That would probably be cheating but changing a game for yourself isn't! Anyone who wants to know how to add items to the academy let me know. As far as I can tell once you start a module you can't add anything new to it but you can on new ones. New to that character that is. Have fun! Drink Kokanee in the can, just saw it today, hehe.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:06 am
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Gaming experience

quote:
Cheating infers that your taking something from someone. If to enjoy the game you desire it to be easier than the game manufactures your not "cheating someone." What you are doing is changing the game so you enjoy it, the game you bought for yourself to play! Cheating would be if me and you were going to play an module and I created a module and gave my character the absolute best of everthing. That would probably be cheating but changing a game for yourself isn't! Anyone who wants to know how to add items to the academy let me know. As far as I can tell once you start a module you can't add anything new to it but you can on new ones. New to that character that is. Have fun! Drink Kokanee in the can, just saw it today, hehe.

I with you on this one. you play the game you want to play....Heck you paid for it, you want to pad the stats knock yourself out. Me, I waited until I hit chapter 2 before I opened up the first one...The nuts and bolts of that is amazing.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:18 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Re: It's Not Cheating!

quote:

I hate to disagree...
Mind you, yes you can do whatever you want with the game, and that's your business, and no one has any right to tell you it's wrong to do it if you want to. It's your game, you bought it with your money, and so you do whatever you want with it. That, I agree with... to a certain degree

But saying that cheating is only defined by what you take from others to benefit yourself is kind of one sided and not very correct. If you use the tools at your disposal to even "give" yourself some useful items to help you on your way and make things easier, it's still cheating. It's cheating if it goes against the basic rules those who created the module in which you are playing decided to stick to. If the module creator had deemed it balanced and okay for you to get a +5 Great Sword when you're level 2, then that's the creator's design. But if you go to the toolset, create such an item and plant it in the middle of a street for you to get at level 2 just after you started the module, I'm sorry but whether you like it or not, that is cheating. If you boost your character's stats to make you level 15 when the designers intended the challenge to be for players between level 4 and 6, that's cheating too.

I'm not being judgemental here, and I'm not flaming Whether you cheat or not is none of my concern. But don't think that cheating is limited to taking something from someone else without their consent.

EDIT: By the way, what you described to be "cheating someone" more sounds like stealing, not so much cheating Although stealing might be considered as a form of cheating.
Post Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:06 pm