Dungeons & Dragons CRPG Coverage @ RPGuides.de
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeons & Dragons CRPG Coverage @ RPGuides.de

German site RPGuides sent us an email to point out a complete <a href="http://www.rpguides.de/dnd/index.php" target="_blank">coverage of D&D CRPGS</a> they have posted, with "a complete review of all (61) d&d crpgs ever made (we got even more than the gamespy had) with screenshots, boxshots etc., a preview of the next 4 crpgs (Dragonshard, D&D Online, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Baldur's Gate 3), the TSR/Wizards company history, an in depth look on the campaign settings, and a background on the crpg companies."
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:16 pm

Major mistake

I don`t understand german, but there is a major mistake, when they state old Gold Box series are using first edition D&D rules. There are NO computer d&d games using first edition rules. From the first Pool of Radiance onward all Gold box games are using 2nd edition advanced dungeons and dragons rules (2nd AD&D).
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:24 pm

Lucky Day

Since they include other consoles they completely missed the Intellivision D&D games which predate them all.
Post Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:56 pm

Keldryn

Er, not a major mistake.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. All of the AD&D "Gold Box" games used 1st Edition AD&D rules, even those released several years after the 2nd Edition rules came out in 1989. Pool of Radiance was released in 1988, before the 2nd Edition ruleset was published. Hillsfar also used 1st Edition rules, and the side-scrolling action/RPG Dragonlance games were based on 1st Edition rules.

Dark Queen of Krynn and Treasures of the Savage Fontier were the last two games to use the 1st Edition ruleset, and they were released in 1992 (DQoK might have been 1993, I'm not sure). The "gold box" based Unlimited Adventures also used the 1st Edition rules.

Eye of the Beholder (1990) was the first AD&D computer game to use the 2nd Edition rules.

quote:
I don`t understand german, but there is a major mistake, when they state old Gold Box series are using first edition D&D rules. There are NO computer d&d games using first edition rules. From the first Pool of Radiance onward all Gold box games are using 2nd edition advanced dungeons and dragons rules (2nd AD&D).
Post Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:31 am

Sorry, but you are incorrect, hehehehe
Yeah, you don`t see 2nd edition logo on the old gold box games, but all games are 2nd edition for sure, trust me. It was simplified but still 2nd edition. If you don`t believe me search the net!
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/advanced_dungeons_and_dragons.txt
And, second editon AD&D was unveiled in 1988. TSR even ceased to support 1st edition AD&D products when they launched 2nd edition. And Forgotten Realms setting was intruduced just prior the release of 2nd edition AD&D.
Post Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:37 pm