i can't take anymore
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
cptmaxon
High Emperor
High Emperor

i can't take anymore

so yeah i have my own little empire but i can't take it anymore those khack r bad for bussines they keep killing my transports soon all of them will they and i don't have enough money to replace them they seem to be in every system so i so i though i will embark on a extermantion but can they be killed it seems the more i kill the more come at me and while a fully outfitted nova is a tough customer i can't be everywhere so do khack getting spawned or is they're a way to stop them?
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:14 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

If there's a way to make the Khaak go away, I haven't found it. Xen's won the game- perhaps that would do the trick.

I've gotten in the habit of putting 15MW shields on my Expresses, Mantas, and Toucans. With maxxed speed and 15MW, my ships can usually survive long enough for the Khaak to get bored and attack a different ship. As soon as I get a message that one of my guys is under attack, I order it to dock at the sector's trading station. That's usually centrally located in the sector (meaning I don't have to waste time figuring out the closest place the ship can dock), and there's generally lots of ships nearby to distract the attacker.

Recently, I've been jumping around the various sectors where I've got factories and killing Khaak and pirates. It hasn't changed the number of my ships attacked much, but I feel a little better about it and it gives my Nova some exercise.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:37 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Yeah, winning the game helps... in the exact opposite direction. 30 ship clusters spawn on top of my factories and ships on a regular basis. 15k? Hah! I put 50 to 75k on each ship and they're still dust in about a second.

An M3 just kills shields dead, no matter who you are. I had one do 75,000 damage to a M6s shields while closing with it without appreciable effort.

People say SPP factories are get rich fast schemes and have no cost associated. Wrongo. I just had to replace 400k worth of ships in 2 minutes. That's four hours of optimal production and sale. I would call that a significant business expense.

The Khaak only get worse and the larger your empire the more apparant it becomes and the more losses you take. There is no bright light at the end of the tunnel. My game has slowed to a crawl because using SETA, even to travel across a system, usually gets a transport destroyed somewhere.

It's a good thing I can get 100 to 500 thousand credit bounties on a regular basis. It's called my "Ship replacement fund".

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:08 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Oddly, I don't have too much trouble. Siezewell seems to attract them but I only lose one every couple of days realtime play. I clean out any "infected" sectors and that seems to last a while in my game.
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:58 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I haven't lost any yet. I have 7 traders, one of which is using the Mk3 software.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:11 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Playing real-time does help a lot, certainly... my losses are definitely down then when I was on the "SETA because I want an M2 in the first month of play" kick. Still it's annoying when two ships wander through a sector that has never been attacked and has a capital ship protecting it... and then "One of your ships is under attack...." and you flip to the sector (need... hotkey... to automatically open that sector's map) and your transports are dead as doornails and the capital ship is idly coming over to investigate.

Corwin: You will. Wait until you have 80 traders in 50 sectors. You will lose ships.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:18 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I seem to lose one (out of 27, I think, mostly station Expresses) about every third session, maybe 8 RL hours. My SETA use has declined recently, so it's hard to judge how much game time that equals. I don't worry too much about my station traders right now - cost of doing business - but I get pretty cranky when one of my Mk3 Mantas gets atomized. That gets expensive in a real hurry. In fact, I'm trying a Mk3 Toucan right now to see how well it survives.

I've noticed a definite increase in Khaak activity recently, and they're bringing bigger ships now. I saw my first M4 last night, and also my first instance of multiple M3s in the same group. In fact, I had a group of 3 M3s and a crew of M4s and M5s spawn right on top of me in Ore Belt last night (I'm at that part of the story, so I guess I should have expected it). Needless to say, that was the end of my session.

@Xen- I agree with the hotkey idea. One key makes the attacked ship active (selects it from the property list) and then opens the appropriate sector map.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:11 pm