View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

sacred demo impressions

well i just started it.

It is alot more like diablo 2 than divine divinity.

It looks great. It runs really fast. There are different combos and spells.

A lot of the items are non interactive though. I havent found a horse yet and I want to.

I chose the seraphin character with the see through panties lol.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:54 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Great, i am interested. More impression please...

Generally RPG gamers at Mistress' Lair & Obsidian forums quite like the game.
Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:27 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well Michael gave a better impression than me because he played more.

Ill give some positive and some negative.

The area of land just in the demo is huge. Great animation of ur character. There are lots of different skills to choose.

there are two classes in the demo, but u find items usable for the other four classes. In this way it is just like diablo 2, you choose a class and you stick with its spells and abilities.

The graphics are great. Light changes according to time of day.
theres one feature Ive never seen in any game before. When you leave the underground area and come out into the light, everything is super bright and hard to see. Sort of simulating your eyes adjusting for a few minutes.

The monsters are neat. They will actually fight eachother. They will run away if wounded. At this point though my character kills all monsters with one hit. Actually kills anyone in sword distance with one hit.

Ok some bad? Nobody says more than one sentence. There are towns filled with farmers and children, and they have no point. Your character never chooses to say anything, you just click on someone and they give you a quest. There are these beautiful looking cows elks,rabbits walking around, and they have no in game function. Just decoration.

All the quests Ive dealt with are just go here and kill that person, free this one. Your character is pretty unbeatable to the monsters very early. I have done nothing in the demo so far but.

1. click on characters with ! to get quests
2. add points in level up
3. right click on monsters, sometimes click on healing potion.
4. open doors and chests.
5. hit the map to see where i am and where im going....
6. bought a horse. lol

Please tell me if I missed something.... I think I have not fought a boss yet, I think those will be large monsters. Everything else I have fought is small.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:29 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Nah, you covered most of the possible actions in this demo, not much different to do.
It's defently a character power building game, with a graphic face worthy of year 2004.

Have you tried to have the smith upgrade a weapon.
Have you tried to have the mage learn you a combo strike.
Have you met the level 5 minotaurs in the cave, the one real challenge in this demo....okay a undead group in one of the graves in one of the graveyards can also be tough if you get cought by surprise.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:56 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I'll definitely buy this game when it comes out but there are a few things I didn't like about the demo. First, the view, at least with my mouse wheel, is either 'extra close' or 'extra far' as far as the camera angle is concerned. Also, I found that I solved quests without knowing about it. A little more fanfare when a quest is completed is a suggestion. Also, an automap at the city level would be nice. The only automap I found showed the entire continent. An automap that showed buildings within cities would be a nice touch. Overall I'm really looking forward to this game.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:00 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I really haven't spent much time with the demo but I had fun. Great graphics and plain old good fun mouse-mashing. I don't think it's any competition for the depth of Divinity - the dialogue and quests seem pretty shallow from what I saw but it looks like what I wanted Diablo 2 to be.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:04 am
Kloetenotto
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
The only automap I found showed the entire continent. An automap that showed buildings within cities would be a nice touch. Overall I'm really looking forward to this game.

Use middle mouse button or Tab. Or leftclick on the world map.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:20 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Yes, the "TAB" key gives you this "city level" map, but it would have been nice if this map would have been a little smaller, and could be moved to the screen corner, for constant use.

When you riding a horse, it's a little annoying, that the rider have to get of his steed, to get things on the ground. I know it's more realistic this way, but a repetative annoying factor in the long run IMHO. On movies I've seen riders pick up things from the ground while sitting on a horse

The ALT button highlights names on NPC's, "opponents", Items on the ground, and some interactive items, but not ALL, so there is still some reason to search the area by hovering your mouse around.

Look for the keyboard shortcuts, when quaffing healing potions, especially usefull against the minotaurs, as the mouse button is occupied by clicking on the minotaurs, and there is not much time to move the mouse curser down to click on a potion, before you character hit the ground.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:13 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Alt is meant to highlight every item, I think. There is a key to pick up everything.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:18 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Alt is meant to highlight every item, I think. There is a key to pick up everything.

True all free items are showed, and the ALT key also highlight names of both live and dead creatures, and SOME interactive items (features), like the famous barrels, but my point was, that not all interactive features are disposed by the ALT button, so that's why I recommend to hover around with the mouse to discover hidden treasures or other interactive non-highlighted features.

Yes, the pick up everything key is handy especially when looting higher level monsters, as they seem to drop their loot in many small potions.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:12 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I don't know about the english version, but in the german version, the "language" my character use when he battles an opponent, is certainly not suited for the sunday school children. Not, that I'm some kind of moral freak in those regards, I just stumbled over my characters german "garbage" language. Anybody else noted this??? Or is it toned down in the english version? Or do I just have to come out from my protected little home once in awhile?
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:01 pm
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
... There are towns filled with farmers and children, and they have no point. Your character never chooses to say anything, you just click on someone and they give you a quest. There are these beautiful looking cows elks,rabbits walking around, and they have no in game function. Just decoration.

All the quests Ive dealt with are just go here and kill that person, free this one. .

Now that two are rather big flaws of this game, especially for a RPG:

- inadequate interaction with NPCs (dialogs)
- simple and bare bones subquests

Divine Divinity has large amount of combat (Diablo-like) but stil maintains interesting subquests and pretty good dialogs with NPCs beside interactions with various items.
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:16 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C
I don't know about the english version, but in the german version, the "language" my character use when he battles an opponent, is certainly not suited for the sunday school children. Not, that I'm some kind of moral freak in those regards, I just stumbled over my characters german "garbage" language. Anybody else noted this??? Or is it toned down in the english version? Or do I just have to come out from my protected little home once in awhile?

In the english version the female character never says a word. only sound effects such as grunting or breathing hard.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:31 am
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Michael C

Yeah, IIRC the gladiator said something like "Yipi-ka-yeah asshole" once while hacking an opponent to pieces. Actually there're several of these one-liners that could be(or even were ) in some campy over the top 80's action movie. It's kinda cheesy but i liked it. I quess since Encore(the US publisher) wants all blood and gore removed from the game they'll surely tone down the language in the english version.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:12 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The gladiator is spoken by Bruce Willis´ German voice (plus Dolph Lundgren and many others). The quote you gave is of course from Die Hard.
I really like the German voice acting. Ascaron hired a few high profile actors. I think I also recognized Dana Scully. Especially the gladiator guy , his name is Manfred Lehmann, is really expensive. He is a well-known TV actor and starred in a few movies. I read somewhere the few top notch voice actors earn upward of 3.000 EUR per day.

The demos are still beta code. The English voices were not ready.
The one-liners in the german demo are not unusual. The devs probably looked what can be done on TV before 10 pm.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:43 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next