Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Best Radeon drivers for Morrowind and other questions.
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I have to dissagree with you a little on that one. Morrowind is way more dependant on cpu speed than memory. I agree about 256mb being a limiting factor but there's very little difference between 512mb and a gig in any game that is currently available. As long as you have 512mb, it's the speed of the ram and the frontside bus that are more important - pc2100 vs pc3200 for example. It won't be until next year that we start seeing games that will actually get a performance boost from having more than 512mb of ram.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:14 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Well .... I can only offer what I saw. In my case the biggest difference was swapping from a Geforce to ATI Radeon. Adding more CPU speed didn't make a huge change for me. Adding more RAM did.

Morrowind caches a lot of the info on zones into memory. I barely notice the transition from one zone to another anymore. This really changed for me going from 512Mb to 1Gb.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:26 pm
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yes, more ram will help in caching situations, as will a fast hard drive. I was refering to frames per second when I said most games that are available now won't benefit from more than 512mb ram.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:01 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Fair enough. But , a lot of the complaints about "performance" in Morrowind seem to revolve around this caching. I suffered it before .....and it is irritating to have pauses every 30 secs or so when running through places.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:08 am
JDR13
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Yes, I definitely agree with that. Someone was telling me that you can adjust Windows to give Morrowind priority with its resources while it is running. I'm not sure how to do this with WindowsXP though.

Also, does the no-cd crack give you a big performance boost? Everyone speaks so highly of the no-cd patch but I didn't see any difference.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:59 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

Not sure . I never tried the no-cd crack. I read that many didn't find it useful as well though.

Bottomline, it's a beast of a game, And it needs a decent mid to high range spec machine to play well. But what fun when it does run well !
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:09 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2