Usergroups
Civilization III
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Way of this forum, but I wonder if there are other players among the CRPG fans, who also likes a deep strategic empire game like Civilization. Because the newest edition Civ III is gone gold, and available at the end of this month. The Civ guru Sid is again behind this release.

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-10-09 08:42 ]
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:40 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

Those things suck up way too much time. They are fun, and addictive, but they take too much time for what you get out of them. I would take a mediocre RPG over a good civ game any day. Of course I don't have the time to spend on these games as some other people, so I can play a game like Gothic for a few months until the next decent RPG comes out. Don't need any filler games <:

Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:16 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Can't say I got all the time in the world either, but sometimes I need a break in the game genre, and strategy is my next best thing.
If a game is addictive and fun, is that not a reward enough to play the game? If you loose after many hours of play in Civ, it may be a bit sad, but winning is also a nice reward for your planning skills.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:42 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I donīt play games like Civ*.* . Somehow these games donīt touch me enough to even give them a fair chance.
I spent most of the last 12 months with Gothic, a few other RPGs, a few adventures (Death Gate , Monkey Island, AitD 4) and lots of shooters (UT, Undying, Alice, NOLF, ... ).
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 2:54 pm
Happenstance
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Waiting with anticipation to see Civ III.

Civ II and Alpha Centauri are 2 of my all time favorites. Remember Colonization? Classic game also.

Civ II, imho, hangs with the best that RPG's have to offer. Its an epic game with laudable depth of gameplay.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:27 pm
Aelhyn
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm waiting for Master of Orion III to come out. Civ's setting doesn't appeal to me as much.
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:52 pm
Happenstance
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

MOO III, really? I hadn't heard about that...

That's cool, definitely have fond memories of those games, as well as MOM...
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 5:18 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Sid Meier's Civilization 1 and Pirates ! are exceptional games.

I was playing a Civilization 1 campaign 50 hours nonstop on my Amiga 2000 (best computer in history ) I simply was not able to stop playing it. The only game that was even more addictive is Elite 1.

Hx
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:52 pm
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

If you have played a game 50 hours straight and say there is a MORE addictive game to you... Man I CAN NOT imagine!!! I have played games for long stretches of time, but never 50 hours straight preceded by another game that you may have played longer straight!!! Wow. *Bows down*
Post Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:12 pm
The Dread Pirate
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am anxiously awaiting Civ 3. The first two Civ games took up more hours of my life than any other games. If the scenerios folks develope for Civ3 are as good as those made for Civ2, then I will be playing this for years. Oh, I am also waiting for MOO3. MOO is my all-time favorite game, but MOO2 was a weaker game. Unfortunately, I KNOW Civ3 will be good, but still have some reservations about MOO3. I can only hope for the best.

[ This Message was edited by: The Dread Pirate on 2001-10-09 21:01 ]
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:59 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

I thought so. Some CRPG gamers also like a good strategy game like Civilization! There are also many similarities
RPG: Character building Civ: Empire building
RPG: Turn based combat Civ: Same (larger scale)
RPG: Item gathering Civ: Resource collection
RPG: NPC interaction Civ: Diplomacy
RPG: Adventuring Civ: Reveal new land
RPG: Quests Civ: Victory conditions
RPG: Story Civ: Eehh no, but high replay value.
Well these comparisons may seem a bit far fetched, but with a little fantasy....
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:58 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Stiletto:

Elite 1 is more addictive than Civilization, but i didn't play it 2 days in a row like i did it with Civilization. I remember playing Elite ca. 8 month on my C64 4-6 hours a day.
(I wish to have this time to play today)

The reason for playing Civilization 50 hours in a row was, that this is the usual playing time for one szenario.

Elite is an endless game...

My other 2 favorites on the C64:

Uridium and Paradroid

Hx
Post Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:41 am
Zhakov
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ahh who could forget the old c64 goodies. Paradroid was great wizball was better but the gold box series Pool of radiance etc were better still.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:21 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2818446,00.html is a good link for info's on CIV.III

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-10-19 07:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-10-19 07:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Michael C on 2001-10-19 07:46 ]
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 12:38 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I played all of Civilization, Colonization, Master of Orion and Master of Magic, I liked Master of Magic best of those, because of the fantasy RPG aspect.

I however found those games fun to play, mainly because of the evolution part, you go from having only a small village/planet/etc. to ruling the world. I kind of dislike the micromanagement these games inevitably lead to after some time of play, though, but usually, at least in single player mode, that's because the player is drawing it out.
Post Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:41 pm