Newbie/ Which should I play? Arx or Gothic
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Newbie/ Which should I play? Arx or Gothic

I'm a newbie in these types of games. Mostly played FPS games but wanted something different so I downloaded both the Gothic and Arx Fatalis demos and have been enjoying both. I recently picked up Arx on ebay but it hasn't been shipped yet. I am however going to pick up Gothic 2 tommorw at the local EB Games. Had a hard time finding the first one, so I figured I'd try 2. Which do you folks think would be the better game for someone who doesn't have much experience in this type of game cause they both look pretty good to me and I don't have a lot of hard drive space left. Appreciate any help.

BTW Favorite games in the past have been Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief series. Tried Morrowind and thought it was too open and difficult to learn, but I did like the idea of it. Thanks again.
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:07 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

I would say: start with gothic 2, because arx has a little bit of a difficult magic system.
and don't give up on both of them I'm playing arx myself right now
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:50 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

In my opinion you should probably start with Arx.

It's an hommage to the Ultima Underworld games (by Looking Glass), and you enjoyed the other Looking Glass (and derivate) games... SysShock, DX, Thief. In my opinion Arx captured a lot of the atmosphere of LG games. You will in all probability like Gothic just as much, but though not as 'open' as Morrowind, it's still less stringent than Arx - meaning, while Arx takes you by the hand for the greatest part, you're pretty much on your own when playing Gothic I/II, so Arx would be a little better for beginners even though it, too, can be quite difficult at times.

EDITed for typos.

Last edited by Jaz on Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:54 am
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gothic was the first RPG game I played, and I got the hang of it pretty quick, Arx isn't as good IMO, so go for Gothic/Gothic 2.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:43 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Personally I loved both games. You might consider the game time to decide. Compared to Gothic, Arx is much shorter to play. I would get both games at some point, but if you want to play a shorter, faster paced game, start with Arx first.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:56 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Arx is definately better for beginners. Sure the magic system is a very original, but its difficulty level is very low compared to the Gothic Games.

Gothic is definately a better game. But if you want something to get yourself started before you dive into the sometimes overwhelming world of Gothic, then try Arx first.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:40 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well i cant say much about Arx because i got killed by the first rat i ran into in the demo (i´m still in shock), and after that i never bothered to try it again, because i had restardted with gothic
So imho Gothic is the better game because it just FEELS so good, and arx felt bad, i couldn´t hit a rat
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:23 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

What I remember, is that pretty early in the game, as soon as I learned the Fireball spell, I could use it to kill everything I encountered with a single shot.

Thats probably why I lost interest in it. Its a good game but it has balance issues.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:27 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

well i guess i should have learned that fireball too then, although killing everything in a single blow is almost as boring as using cheats. Well i barely have enough time to play the games i have so not doing arx isnt that bad for me.
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:43 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by tolgerias
killing everything in a single blow is almost as boring as using cheats.

Exactly why I lost interest. Although; like gothic, combat is only a small part of the experience
Post Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:13 pm
Drax
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

After playing Gothic, no other game became interestng!
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:50 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks for all the replys. I picked up Gothic 2 yesterday and can't put it down! I'm sitting here just finishing playing at 2 in the morning and have to get up at. 7. The controls are very confusing at first but getting used to it now. However does anyone know of a guide for the game, as Im still having some problems with using stuff. I can't figure out how to use the bow, or magic. When I click on the bow in inventory, I will see it on my character but the guy won't draw it out! It's driving me nuts, cause I just uped my skill in it and can't figure out how to use it! I got it a few times but have no idea how I did it. Magic too, as a few times I'll see these blue weird things coming out of his hands, but doesn't seem to do anything and I don't know how I did that either. Maybe cause I'm new at these games I'm missing something in the manual or something. Anyways, thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:49 am
Lacni
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Drax
After playing Gothic, no other game became interestng!

Very true!

@mgeorge: Check http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=172951 I dont wanna write it again. Just did cuple a minutes ago!
Post Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:57 am
ShadowShrike
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I recommend Gothic. Arx Fatalis was actually more difficult for me because of bad quest design and bad quest bugs. The storyline isn't nearly as good, the game is shorter... really, Arx is just not as great a game. It does have some awesome stuff, such as the dynamic item system, the fun scripted events, and some great puzzles, not it's not consistantly great quality like Gothic is.

Gothic is larger, more intelligent, and funner. But unlike Morrowind, if you want to follow the main plot, you've always got a clear-cut goal to take care of. It really fits itself to your playing style. The bad thing about starting with Gothic might be that no other RPG will match up when you finally finish . There are a load of other amazing things about it but I don't want to turn this post into a review, so...
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:19 am
mgeorge
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Thanks again for the replys. The possiblities in this game are just amazing! I just got to Lees farm, and just got up to level 3. It's tough though, and now I'm having a problem with it crashing a lot. I Googled for a patch and only found one for the German game. Is this what I need or is it just kind of buggy? It will just freeze with no error message, and I have to do a hard reboot. I checked the tech faq and didn't notice anything about random crashes. I'm using an Athlon 2700+ processor 512 Ram and a Radeon 9600 pro vid card. I can always get back into the game but it's getting so I'm constantly worried when it's going to crap out on me. Again, thanks for the help.
Post Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:05 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next