Members
Usergroups
LotR: RotK
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Books & Movies

Author Thread
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

In case you didn't notice, Sauron is a giant friggin' immobile eye. He just sent all the Nazgul to the mountain.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:16 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

He did exactly what he did in the books: His 'Eye' snapped towards the mountain in alarm, and he sent his ringwraiths in at top speed.

The eye never actually raced there... as the Eye construct didn't actually exist in the novels in the form it did in the movies (I don't think). I love the Eye of Sauron in the movies.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:09 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The movie was awesome, although my namesake wasnt in it

Seriously, Jackson did an awesome job. I didnt miss the scouring of the shire much, but I was very glad they didnt cut out Frodo and Bilbo leaving middle-earth - that is a very important scene, giving a bitter-sweet ending to the whole tale and I was very afraid they would turn it into a hollywood-style happy ending.
the only thing I truly missed were the scenes with Saruman and the houses of healing - both will be in the extended edition afaik.
Everything else was just brilliant, the battles, the struggle of Frodo and Sam - I particularly liked the idea of Gollum turning Frodo against Sam - not in the Books, but a brillinat idea!

Only other niggle I have - i wished they had kept the grey, misty look of the army of dead described in the book - I didnt like the green glow they gave it in the movie. Otherwise I think this is the best of the three movies, worthy of Tolkiens book, and a wonderful conclusion - I am gonna watch it many times again.

I hope Jackson does the Hobbit sometime in the future.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:42 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Really good movie, probably the best of all three. Although, there were a few things to complain about:

Why have Frodo like, push Gollum into the volcano? Heck, Gollum didn't even shout "my precioussss" in the end. Annoying. Damn that suspension building.

Gandalf not declaring the end of the age of the ring and Sauron by the end of the last battle. That would have been nice. Plus, of course, having the mouth of Sauron.

Still having the Gimli comic-relief. Although, it wasn't so bad in this movie. Especially after that Legolas thing.
Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:49 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

I'm a bit behind because it was only released on the 26th here. Fantastic movie - probably the best of the three. Otherwise I'll echo Hexy's comments. If he ever makes The Hobbit (I've heard he has some interest down the track), I hope he treats dwarves with a little more reverence. It's going to be frustrating to have Oin, Gloin etc etc all doing comic relief.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:18 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

PJ should give actors like Jim Carrey, Mike Myers and Seinfeld the dwarf roles... maybe also use that narrator from Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Then we'd have comic relief!

Balin: "Gandalf, so what's the deal with dragons and taking the treasures from the dwarves?
Are we experiencing the medieval times equivalence of early company takeovers by greedy fork-tongued executives? Is that why you have to talk in a really really wierd way and using a lot of flattery when adressing a dragon? Brings a new meaning to the phrase 'HOSTILE negotiations', doesn't it? Huh? Huh? Is this thing on?!"
Gloin: *starts making wierd noises accompanied by even wierder facial expressions*
Thorin Oakenshield: "Can't wait 'till I bury me wood picker in a dragon skull! Yeah BABY, YEAH!"

"Then, while traveling through the Misty Mountains, they were forced to eat Bifur and Bofur. And there was much rejoicing."
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:50 am
Dhruin

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:07 am
Toaster
Bread Alert
Bread Alert

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin

Tabbrowser Extensions
DictionarySearch
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:56 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

*bows*

Thank you, thank you. And, yes, I also do weddings and funerals.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:47 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Hexy
PJ should give actors like Jim Carrey, Mike Myers and Seinfeld the dwarf roles... maybe also use that narrator from Monty Pythons Holy Grail. Then we'd have comic relief!

Balin: "Gandalf, so what's the deal with dragons and taking the treasures from the dwarves?
Are we experiencing the medieval times equivalence of early company takeovers by greedy fork-tongued executives? Is that why you have to talk in a really really wierd way and using a lot of flattery when adressing a dragon? Brings a new meaning to the phrase 'HOSTILE negotiations', doesn't it? Huh? Huh? Is this thing on?!"
Gloin: *starts making wierd noises accompanied by even wierder facial expressions*
Thorin Oakenshield: "Can't wait 'till I bury me wood picker in a dragon skull! Yeah BABY, YEAH!"

"Then, while traveling through the Misty Mountains, they were forced to eat Bifur and Bofur. And there was much rejoicing."

Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:58 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I really hope Jackson gets to do The Hobbit as well. Who else wants to see Big Bad Smaug raining fire down on those puny humans?

But as for the comic relief, yeah, you're absolutely right. Although... He could turn them into a band of travelling clowns, with axes! Who wouldn't love a film like that?
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:23 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

Recent news is that movie studio indeed interested in making The Hobbit, and PJ also interested in doing a prequel, but they haven't contact PJ yet for negotiation. However, as for now, PJ is working on the new version of King Kong. It propably already in pre-production stage, or only starting after finish editing the Extended DVD Edition for RotK, sometime around April 2004.
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:02 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

It was an okay movie IMO.

Regarding details, my thoughts on RotK are pretty much those of Hexy - he said it all. Dang, I'd loved to see the Mouth of Sauron...
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:44 am
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

Maybe it will be in the extended edition.

Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:25 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:
Originally posted by MageofFire
There will be no Scouring of The Shire, even in the Extended Edition (reminds me of Bombadil) . Peter Jackson didn't like that part and never shot it.

I loved the movie, but I was hoping that the Witch King would be more intimidating. I have a couple of other gripes, but overall this one pwns The Two Towers.

When you mentioned how they totally cut out Tom Bombadil from the LotR movies, I just had to comment.
When I first heard they were cutting him out without even a chance on adding him in on a special dvd edition, I could not help but feel like Charlton Heston at the end of the first Planet of the Apes movie where he gave that last, final famous line of the movie...
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 4:32 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next