View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Subtonik
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Magic Skills

I have some questions regarding the schools of magic in morrowind

1. ive noticed that when creating a custom class a description is given of the magic disiplines, and it gives some examples of possible spells, it makes sense that you only start with one of the possiblilities, but are certain spells specific to differernt races?

2. (Ill use this as an exmaple) I created a character with destruction as a major skill, i can do fire bite, 15-30 damage and all, and leved the skill up a bit, but the damage did not increase, does the damage increase on spells like this as you increase there skill level? or are you destened only to do 15-30 damage throughout the game?

3. As you gain levels do you get more spells from a field you are using constanlty. Example: i start with destruction, i have fire bite, do i gain anymore destructive spells throughout the game, or do i need to buy them?

4. Just how do you enhcant a wepon?

5. (final question) just what good are some of the magic schools such as alliteration, mysticsm etc. do they serve a real purpose?
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:05 am
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Re: Magic Skills

No, the game doesn't give you any new spells for free apart from the ones you might recieve at the start of the game if your skill is high enough. All other spells you'll need to buy, make, or be granted via a quest (rare).

Spell effects are fixed for a particular spell - the damage dealt by your Fire Bite will never increase, because doing 15-30 damage is what that spell does. You might want to look into buying or making more powerful spells, as your magicka pools increases. If you're constantly finding yourself with magicka to spare it's a pretty good indication that you need more powerful spells!

To enchant a weapon you need three things - you need a weapon, a soul gem containing a soul, and you need to know a spell that you'd like to embed. Once you get those three, drop the soul gem onto your character to open the enchant dialog. This dialogue is pretty straightforward - select the effect, select the power and duration, select the type (Cast on Strikes etc), and click create.

Getting the soul gem together is a bit more involved. You need to cast Soul Trap on a creature, then kill it while the effect is still running. If you have a suitable soul gem in your inventory, you'll trap the soul in it.

Alteration is great for water walking, water breathing and levitation etc, Mysticism is great for mark, recall, intervention, detection etc. All the schools of magic have their uses.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:57 am
Dunmer King
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

1)If you really want free spells, House Telvanni is really good about giving them out.
3)No, you don't gain new spells as you progress in levels, even if you specialize in certain magics. I never liked that part of the game.
5)Get skills in Mysticism. Mark, Recall, Divine and Almsivi Intervention will become your best friends really quickly. In the words of the Dark Elves(altered slightly)"Why walk when you can mingle with the ether?"
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:53 am