Usergroups
GII English version official release date: Q 2/2003
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

From what I've been reading, what we have here, is the tip of an iceburg. Some of the best games being developed are coming out of Europe, rather than the US, but all the best publishers seem to be American. Therefore, we have over-hyped rubbish selling big and great games getting nowhere, cause almost no-one knows about them. Europe needs a large dominant publisher for these developers, or someone with the right connections needs to convince one of the big Americans that supporting these overseas games could be to their financial advantage. Imagine if M$ got serious about games and decided to go after the European market!! Well, guess we can all dream.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:24 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by corwin
Imagine if M$ got serious about games and decided to go after the European market!! Well, guess we can all dream.

I wonder if G3 will become an XBOX-only game when M$ takes over Piranha Bytes.
Post Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:36 pm
corwin

If that happened, I just might buy one. The only console I ever owned was an Intellivision. I still have it, and it still works. My kids sometimes enjoy playing the old games on it, including a couple of fairly pathetic DnD games that were probably quite advanced for their time. Boy, am I dating myself again!!

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:06 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

I only play PC games...
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:38 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree, most of the best games with any smart comes from Europe. USA just goes fot the stupid average joe six pack. Most games I enjoy were from Germany. Gothic, Patrician 2, Arx Fatalis, 1602 AD, Cossacks games (English?) whole kufloaden of great games.

German seems more stragety smart; American are fat and lazy. Oh yeh Stronghold and Crusader....many more I just do not remember..and Akella with Sea Dogs I and II Ruskies are putting some goods out alas Arcanum too. Darn drank too much got to go.

I hate working two days a week and getting only paid 800$ a week Life is good...long live the New World Order (American Imperilism, of course ) it is a joke, but makes you wonder...I feel like I live in a police state ,,,,things are really getting "tight" here and I think bad things are coming,,,,are we USA getting fooled into something???? Miene Kampf................
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:53 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Arx is a French game.
Post Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:17 pm
benchMarc
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Why don't they release the English version first? I think the English game sells a lot better than the German one.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:20 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by benchMarc
Why don't they release the English version first? I think the English game sells a lot better than the German one.

From Gorath's words:

"D, A, CH is the primary market, the English gaming world (this includes NL and Scandinavia) the secondary and all the other languages the tertiary (sp?) market. Primary market comes first if the publisher is too small to do a worldwide release at the same time.
In the German market Gothic II is mainstream. In other areas itīs a niche product."
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:33 am
Xerxes712
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yes right, Arx is French, Arkane Studios. Was JoWood the publisher?

Man, what a bad hang over! What are they saying on TV, scary....
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:39 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
Yes right, Arx is French, Arkane Studios. Was JoWood the publisher?

That's how I think about JoWooD...

Arx was gone gold in October--that's the time before JoWooD had financial difficulties. G2 English was finished in January--that's during the financial difficulties. We'll have to wait until JoWooD has been fully healed from this disaster.
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:38 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by Xerxes712
German seems more stragety smart; American are fat and lazy.

Careful there. I agree German games are generally better. Most USA games are poorly done in comparison. I live in the USA also. I plan on being an MMORPG game developer when I get out of college. I won't be fat and lazy. I'll be an ACE certified person trainer who works as an ACE trainer between projects and on Sundays. I get the point, but your choice of words were unfair. My favorite games come from Germany, but I intend to take part in creating some pretty damn good games in the US. I'm sure a lot of American developers work hard. The quality of American games probably isn't due to a lack of dedication on the developers parts. If it is, then it certainly isn't the fault of all developers. It's also important to note that some games are made by developers from various countries working together on the same project.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:59 am
Driepinter
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Amazon.co.uk suddenly changed the release date from March 7th into May 2nd!!
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:00 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

The new release date is: NEVER, or WHEN ITS DONE.

Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:16 pm
karaknic
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

OK this is getting silly now amazon.co.uk changed to 3rd june, but i can bet a lot of money that on the 3rd of june it'll be changed again, then what ? They're either going to release it or not, but at least have the descency toadmit you can't get the game out in time, be honest and say "q3 2003' or 'q4 2003' or whatever but make sure IT'S TRUE then the people awaiting the rlease will know exactly when the game will come out and i think we'd all be happier if we were sure exactly when the game comes out even if it's late rather than being lied to constantly eh ?
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:35 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

I fully agree with you, if they arent gonna release till Q3 or soemthing, if i knew now, i would stop wasting valuable time here for a little while!
Post Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:31 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21, 22, 23  Next