Usergroups
Are one handed weapons really so bad?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Though I've finished the game at least once as every type of character, I prefer to play a Mage. Therefore I've found it useful to specialize in XBows and One Hand weapons. I try to put most of my LP into Mana and Dex, and ignore Strength until the last chapters (usually boost it with potions).

To go with this, I make sure I use the Dex-based swords (all One Handed) found in the game: the Rapier (found with the 2 Trolls near Grom's camp) and then the Master Sword (found in Xardas' old tower in VoM).

Some say there is a bug in G2 where your Dex is not added to your strike on critical hits like it should, but I haven't really noticed this as a problem. Especially since (as a Mage) I only use hand weapons (as opposed to spells or XBow) when I need to knock someone down without killing them, and even then I use the XBow to soften them up a bit first.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:23 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Does speed increase any with skill?

I personally LIKE the way two handed weapons look, but I've noticed that I am mad slow trying to wield them in G2. Right now I'm at 50% skill in two handed and 48% in one-handed. I switched over to training two-handers when I reached the 'fighter' catagory. The problem is that I get my butt whooped when trying to fight with a two-hander, and whoop others' butts with a one-handed weapon. Did they really make the two-handed weapons that much slower than in the first game? 'Cause unless I start to speed up any I'm going to consider those invested skill points as a loss. Sombody tell me: WILL I speed up? Or does strength and skill only affect damage output?? And is there any one-handed weapon stronger than the Orc Slayer? I don't want to finish the whole game and never find a better sword.

Thanks.
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:31 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

The Orc Slayer is the best non-magical One Hand weapon in G2.

If you are a Paladin, you can by an Ore weapon and choose a One Hand sword. Then you can get it consecrated at the Monastary to make it more powerful.

If you are a Merc, you can learn to forge magic Ore weapons and create a nice One Hand weapon, too.

IMO, Mages don't really need anything better than a Master Sword. Instead a Mage should relay on his spells and/or a good Xbow.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:23 pm
Graham 2
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think that Dragon Slicer is the best Non-Magic weapon in the game.
Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:51 pm
jmurdock
Old Fogey
Old Fogey

yeah, for 2H.

REMEMBER... Many saves, many slots!!!
Post Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:03 pm
Gothdick
Village Leader
Village Leader

i am under the impression that 1 handed weapons are more suited to early, low level combat...

playing the second time, and decided i would follow 1 handed weapons, got to level 4 then changed my mind...

the speed advantage is great, done properly and enemy wont hit you at all, and at the low levels that is what you are looking for as many of the npcs can take you out in a couple of hits.....

as you progress in the game however, you get more skilled opponents, its obvious that some enemies are much better at blocking and combos, then there are thoes enemies with 2 handed weapons later on aswell... not to mention the beasts which, as you progress are faster, and seem to have longer range attacks, or at least, can pounce from greater distance.

Anyone who has tried to kill a high level enemy who has a 2 hander, with a one hander will know where the range advantage comes in, the way gothic2 is, it is more practical to be the one standing still letting the enemy come to you, this is better done with long rangers.

The damage advantage comes into play later aswell, at early levels it is virtually unoticable, or at least innefective eg: if your gonna lose with a one hander then ur probably gonna lose with a two hander aswell. Later on however that damage advantage is more profitable as you can do larger amounts of damage in general and that little extra might make the difference in a fight.

There are obviouse advantages for both types, but where those advantages count is less obvious
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:02 pm
Mad Mike
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Gothdick
i am under the impression that 1 handed weapons are more suited to early, low level combat...

playing the second time, and decided i would follow 1 handed weapons, got to level 4 then changed my mind...

The reason I originaly asked "are one handers that bad?" is because I assumed that the game was deliberately designed to make you switch from one-handers to two handers as the game progressed. Well I've got to level four by now and following the feedback from this thread I have decided to stick with one handers. Here's hoping I don't get mauled at the higher levels for want of a long reach
Post Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:32 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

It really doesn't matter.
I like the onehanders for their speed against animals, you can't block anyway.
Against Orcs and Skeletons I prefer twohanders, because of the range, I like to stay out of their way.
The difference in damage is very little in the end.
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:20 am
Gothdick
Village Leader
Village Leader

in the case of orcs, i have noticed they are royally crap at hitting you, its easy to anticipate them. I think that against orcs 1 handers are better, whatever level you are at... the range gives NO advantage over them in my opinion.

Its like this, if you allready have a speed advantage over them (which you kinda do as they are a little crap at fighting, and a little sluggish) then it is better to capitalise on that, create an even bigger speed advantage and chop them to small peices. A two hander in this case leaves you with an equal range, and you lose a little bit of that speed advantage. Fight an orc with a one hander and with a little practise you can take out an orc without getting hit once... with a two hander your movement must be perfect as there is no room for mistakes

Skeletons on the other hand seem to be a lot more determined, skilled and just goddam fucking ruthless, i preffer to keep them away from my frail human flesh... then again i just preffer to run away from them
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:46 pm
avod
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

interesting.

i have played g2 3 times:
- as a paladin i killed everyone with that rune magic, and that was crap. if i remember correctly i was 1h and not very good at str, and close combat was kinda difficult.
- as a dh i started with 1h and switched to 2h where i came to the point where i could kill 3-4 charging orcs in a row with good timed 2h combo (one hit each). that was fun and easy. with skeletons it was more difficult. they have seemed to be faster with 2h than i.
- as a mage it didn't really matter, as i got my skeleton army so it was easiest to be 1h - easier to block, easier to get, etc.

now i'm playing g2notr as dh - just have killed first dragon - and it looks like 1h is better choice because of speed - you get better chances with that notr special weapon. and i have tried 1h and 2h fight with skeleton, with 2h i am just too slow to block and hit in time.
anyway, i'm yet to try dragon slicer, which in g2notr seems to be the best 2h weapon around (not counting that special one), maybe that will change my opinion.

about 1h/2h damage- from my practice (and some others) critical hit damage counts as weapon_dmg+str-enemy_armor_rating, so with high enemy armor rating the extra 20 or 30 dmg of weapon could be the ones that deal damage.

the noncritical hit does some pre-set damage which does not take into account (most of?) these values anyway.

in practice though, all of your nameless characters usually are overpowered-super-heroes-one-of-a-kind with no equvalent enemy armor available so its not so obvious in the end
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:24 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Learn the way the mobs attack, advance the char, get the skills and no matter then which weapon you use, 1H or 2H. Personal preference, who cares what others say or write. Personally, at the mid-game (or tad over it) was already at a stage, where he could beat everyone coming at him with a poker. Of course, not something what I'd suggest to use against multiple enemies, but still, for fun and giggles, I ran around for a while with a wooden stick or a poker, and those who attacked me, got good whoopin' with single tools of the trade Heck, at the end of the game, I beat the lights out of the Lich Dragon with a poker...

Now, with the add-on, I have to see if I can do it again. I can't do it as early as I did it in G2 without add-on, as the skills and stats come somewhat slower, but still, I have one poker saved up in me pack, for later
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:29 am
dagamer667
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

1H is easier to use and dishes out damage way faster than 2h with high strength. 2H can do more damage per hit, but it attacks much slower, opening you to counterattacks. 2h is fun to use, but it requires more skill on the player's end.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:43 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Gothdick
in the case of orcs, i have noticed they are royally crap at hitting you, its easy to anticipate them.

No matter how advanced the AI is, the critters will always attack in a certain pattern. Just fight the beast, monster a lot and get to know them better (have a cup of tea with them, that sort of things ). In the end you'll know exactly what his next move will be and you can take your advantage with it.
Post Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:02 am
kenney bounces
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

NAhhhh, you won't get in trouble. You'll be fine in either 1 handed or 2 handed in gothic 2. You WILL be able to finish the game quite easily in either skills. Sure, there are some advantages and disadvantages, but if you like 1 handed, stick with it. You do NOT NEED to master a specific weapon skill to beat the game.

Hope that clears up all your doubts.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:44 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Re: Does speed increase any with skill?

quote:
Originally posted by Jabberwocky
I personally LIKE the way two handed weapons look, but I've noticed that I am mad slow trying to wield them in G2. Right now I'm at 50% skill in two handed and 48% in one-handed. I switched over to training two-handers when I reached the 'fighter' catagory. The problem is that I get my butt whooped when trying to fight with a two-hander, and whoop others' butts with a one-handed weapon. Did they really make the two-handed weapons that much slower than in the first game? 'Cause unless I start to speed up any I'm going to consider those invested skill points as a loss. Sombody tell me: WILL I speed up? Or does strength and skill only affect damage output?? And is there any one-handed weapon stronger than the Orc Slayer? I don't want to finish the whole game and never find a better sword.

Thanks.

I like the looks of the two-handed weapons too, (the bigger, the better). Once you've become a master, two-handers will be more easy to fight with. You will hit faster indeed and the combo (attack+forward, four times in a row) will be a lot more effective and easier to use. You can just save some learning points, so that you can immediately become master in one- or in two-handed. Save the game and then just check it out, spend those points and see what you prefer. One-handed master or Two-handed master.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:17 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2