Original or Unique CRPG Settings
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Namirrha
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Original or Unique CRPG Settings

Hope no one will flog me for bringing up an old but favorite topic.

What would be your original, creative, or unique setting for a new RPG you, yes you, could work on if you were a developer?

Try to think of something not out on the market or if it is describe how or why your setting and ideas would be different or better.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:07 am
Majnun
Village Leader
Village Leader

I don't think this is exactly what you had in mind...but I'm saying it anyway since it's never been done as a CRPG.

Gamma World

The old TSR game based in yes, a post-apocalyptic future. Sure the post-apocalyptic thing isn't new. But the huge variety of mutations you could have in Gamma World would make it different than anything done before (in a CRPG). If I ever won the lottery, I'd put up the cash and get Troika to make Gamma World in a heartbeat.

Also an RPG set in a world overrun by the living dead. Drawing inspiration from George Romero's dead trilogy (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead), NotLD 1990 & the new Dawn movie...and Len Barnhart's Reign of the Dead books. Though this game would take more work to make interesting to anybody other than me (and the few other zombie nuts who love rpgs).

Like I said, not unique, but original in the sense that they haven't been done in a CRPG at least.
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

If Cthulu is anything like it's pen and paper roots it will have plenty of zombies willing to rip your arms off and beat you to death with them.

I want more Space CRPGs. Good ones preferable. If I had a trillion dollars I'd have a game made that featured large landmass planets, deep space combats, boarding actions, and leveling systems.... and multiple beginning and endings and playthroughs and unlimited mission generators and...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:39 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

I would like to see something based on the old P&P Space Opera system ... the 'official' universe had a great diversity of tech levels maintained by a loose federation. The way it was set up a small tweak and you've got a set up for massive wars based on racial or governmental divisions ... or both.

The toys were great. From powered battle armor to light sabers ... planetary defence units on treads to oar powered galleys. Bows to tactical nukes. I just loved it. The system was well adapted to cover almost any style of play with about 100 skills set up in a wonderfully arcane system, but covered most events. Wanna play a hard nosed marine who can cobble together a jet bike from parts found in the garbage? Can do. Wanna play an ivory tower thinker focused on discovering the next tech break through? Can do. Wanna go James Bond? Luke Skywalker? Ceaser? Rommel? Asteroid miner? X-2 like tycoon? All possible! 'Twas a great game - though very demanding on both players and GM to play.

I would love to play in a universe where you could try to bribe your way onto a low tech level planet bringing in some high tech stuff and try to take over. And once you take over drag the world up the tech tree so you can become a small force in the galaxy ... start purchasing navies based on your designs and crewed with recruits from your own academies and maybe become a not so small force ... or maybe get crushed, and try to escape with a few loyal followers to try again.

I just figure that there is NO WAY all that could be programmed in an affordable runnable way ... we need a few more generations of computing power to come along first *grin*.

I guess that what I am looking for in a game setting is simple to sum up: Everything!
Post Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:43 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

I've always wanted to try out an RPG with an old-style Western theme.
Post Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:28 pm