Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Baldurs Gate or Gothic...which series has better NPC's?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Baldurs Gate or Gothic...Which series has better NPC's?
Baldurs Gate
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Gothic
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author Thread
NPCMan
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Baldurs Gate or Gothic...which series has better NPC's?

Im just wondering what most of you think. I was absolutely shocked that Gothic is so highly praised here. I absolutely HATED the game. But I loved Baldurs Gate sooo much. And the reason I hated Gothic so much and loved Baldurs Gate is mainly because of NPC's. Gothic NPC's are almost COMPLETELY lifeless. They are all mean, angry, men. No change in personality, whatsoever. In Baldurs Gate, their were stuck up nobles, brave heroes, gods, mischievious folk, angry peasants who work too hard, wise men, ect. But thats not the point. The point is that almos ALL the NPC's in that game had a distinct personality and their own lines of dialogue. AND HERE IS THE MAIN POINT: BETTER DIALOGUE=PERSONALITY. Gothic had none of this. So, thats My decision. I voted Baldurs Gate.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:08 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I agree.
One of the main problems in Gothic is that there were no children and extremely few women. In the Gothic 1, it's kind of acceptable, since they're in prison. But in #2? No.
However, Gothic NPCs have the whole go out at night and do stuff, and work at day routine which is nice.
But IMO Baldur's Gate has way more NPCs, way more diversity, and way more and better dialogues.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:27 pm
Loveshot
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Voted Gothic because the Gothic world is more alive than in Baldurs Gate.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:33 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

My first reaction is to say BG, because Gothic's dialogue is pretty ordinary in many cases. When it came down to, however, I couldn't think of a single NPC from BG that was memorable or that I cared about, other than a couple of the party members. Meeting up with old characters in G2 like Diego or Milten was quite a thrill, so clearly I cared more about them.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:57 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought BG2 was a very good game. I enjoyed both of my runs through it. The NPCs were well done and the world finely deatiled.

However, my vote goes to Gothic (1&2) for the simple reason that its characters are more "real" and down to earth. They are not fantasy creations like elves, dwarves, etc.. Nor are they archetypes like the "noble Paladin", the "grumpy dwarf", the "erudite, stuck-up Elf". They are just humans that we can all identify with.

I just prefer that kind of setup to "high fantasy" if you know what I mean.

Drhuin said the dialogue in Gothic was kind of ordinary. To me, this is a *great strength*. It is a positive because you can actually imagine a real person speaking that dialogue. It doesnt' seem gimmicky, flowery, or too intricate for the setting. The words flow naturally.

Playing Gothic feels like hanging out with your best pals in a world of fantasy and danger. Ordinary people placed in extraordinary situations.

LIke Druhin said, there is a geninue feeling of fraternity between the you and fab-four: Diego, Milten, Lester, Gorn. And even the minor characters in both games have their memorable traits.

It may seem like everyone is a pissed off guy with an attitude. But there is more under the surface if you really play the game.
Post Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:10 am
Chicknstu
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

If i knwe how to vote, id vote gothic.

The gothic characters seem alive. they wander about and live their lives. Baldurs characters just stand there and spew out text when you click on them

gothic.... yes

stu xxx
Post Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:43 pm
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

While I really enjoyed the BG series, I do prefer the Gothics for all the reasons people like Dhruin gave. Mud anyone?

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:15 am
Neo_Genesis
The Assassin
The Assassin

Gothic for me, although I have never played BG, the Gothic characters where memorable, and sticked to you as "favorite Game Character". their behaviour differenced very much, like matching Mitlen and Thorus, they both have very different peronalities.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:20 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

It depends on your definition of "better".

I personaly liked the Gothic NPC's more, but the Baldurs Gate NPC's were definately more diverse. However, the BG NPC's bored me to tears.

A More interesting comparison would be Gothic -> PlaneScape Torment.

The NPC's in PS:T put both Gothic and BG to shame in my oppinion...
Post Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:34 pm
corwin

I would certainly have to agree with you there. Every main NPC in PS-T was a gem.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:51 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I also liked Gothic NPCs more.
Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:45 pm
MageofFire
Griller of Molerats

quote:
Originally posted by Chekote
It depends on your definition of "better".

I personaly liked the Gothic NPC's more, but the Baldurs Gate NPC's were definately more diverse. However, the BG NPC's bored me to tears.

A More interesting comparison would be Gothic -> PlaneScape Torment.

The NPC's in PS:T put both Gothic and BG to shame in my oppinion...

I'm sure they don't put Gothic NPCs to shame, even if they are better (not saying they are, as I have never played PS:T). I chose the Gothic NPCs, because they actually induced feeling in me for them. They only thing that keeps me from beating down Cavalorn for his loot is that he's one cool guy.

Mediocreties, I absolve you!
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:03 pm
alexpetersmith
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

definately gothics NPC's firstly they are realistic you would be grumpy i yu had been chucked in a prison colony and there were so many different characters people whu will pick fights with you without a second thought and friends who will help you throughtout the entire game where as balders gate's NPC's are abysmal they have no emotion none of them seem realistic and every single one of them is irritating (and balders gate is a terrible game to but thats not what this is about)
Post Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:02 pm