Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What is the 1st RPG game you've ever played?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
DarthRetro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Tunnels of Doom on a TI99/4A - a Turn base, 4 member party dungeon crawl type game.. Fantastic initial experience to crpg gaming..

Bards Tale I on a Apple IIe - sealed the deal on my addiction to computer games. I still remember the painstakely amount of time I spent mapping out the levels on graph paper... All I can say is thank the gods for automap!!
Post Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:46 pm
roorooroo
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Wow..if memory serves I remember playing a text only role playing game on a very old Apple (computer!) back in ooh about 1978 or so..no idea what it was called but i was entranced by the whole experience. 20 odd years later and many RPGs they're still my favourite gaming genre!
Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:19 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

dragon warrior for nes......bad a$$ game......sorta hard at points though....

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:46 pm
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

wizardry 5 heart of the mealstrom for the snes system was the bomb as well...as a matter a fact all wizardry series rules...

yeah...

"You are not crazy if you talk to yourself. You are only crazy if you talk back..." -?

"Your mouth is full...full of disease. And yet, I still want to pull your teeth." -Knarnak
Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:55 pm
Ratavuk
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The first RPG i played was also the first game i bought. It was Ultima 6 for Commodore Amiga. But at that time i only had an Amiga 500 with 1 Mb Ram and the game was nearly not playable on it so i could never finish it. But i recently tried to play it on a Amiga emulator but it failed for some reason i don't know anymore.
Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:15 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I remember playing some sort of game on the atari. I can't remember the name of it. What I do remember is that I was never any good at it. But what sticked in my mind about the game was having to look for a key in some dungeon and then hearing a loud and scary noise of a dragon coming for me. Scared and tense, I would run away from the drgaon but it would always get me. To be honest, I don't think I had the courage to progess in that game. I'd get nightmares. Also, the fact that I was barely 6 or 8 at the time would explain it.

Anyhow, the first official rpg I played was Sword of Vermillion for the Sega Genesis. I loved the game. I remember fighting that three headed dragon. And each of the towns had beautiful music to them. Of course, I used the book that came with it. Don't see how it would've been possible to beat it without. Well, did anyone beat this game without using the book? Fell in love with rpgs since then.
Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:59 am
Knarnak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

whoa bro...im lovin that double postage!

"Fill me eyes, with that double postage..."

am i drunk?

lol...

what about secret of the stars fer snes?
anyone ever play that one?

-porter

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:08 pm
XmirroR
Village Leader
Village Leader

Wizardy II?

Does that sound right for 1982?

I was in seventh grade, and we had a computer lab...
( all hail silicon valley public school systems )

I beat the snot outta my pop but he wouldn't by me a computer...
However his dad, my grandpa, was a push over...

My first "owned" computer was an Apple IIc... The first RPG I ever
played begining to end was Ultima III...

No offense to anyone else, but there was really no better RPG
at that time to have found. Was there?

-= XmirroR =-

======================
Post Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:34 am
knight37
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Feels Like the First Time

For the PC, Wizardry 1 broke my RPG virginity.
Post Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:07 pm
Serus
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im not sure which was first
1. Lord of the Rings, vol.1 on Amiga 500
OR
2. Ultima V on PC AT
Post Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:24 pm
yeesh
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Dragon Warrior on the NES.

And, for some reason, Battletech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception on PC.
Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:35 am
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Pac-man popped my rpg cherry. Then Ms. Pac-man. Shheesh, those were the days. Kids had respect, and all the long haired hippies were smoking their grass amd having gay sex in the closet were they belonged. My father died in the Pimp Wars of '84 and my mother had to sell the atari to buy crack with, then she put me on the street turning tricks to help make ends meet, but things were rough for a 5 year old boy without a proper pimp to protect him. But since my baby teeth fell out I was quite popular. I didn't get a chance to play another rpg intul Duck Hunt came out on the nes at my firends house many years later. I pooped my pants I had so much fun.

Please excuse my ramblings as I am an idiot and it wouldn't be PC to make fun of my disablity.
Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:09 am
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I don't remember exactly but I think it was Bards Tale 1 on the c64. I remember I didn't get very far either I don't think I even beat the starter dungeon(the wine cellar), but I was like 10 years old at the time...
Post Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:01 am
cecirdr
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Lessee...first ever game was Zork on a commodore 64 (or was it the Vic 20?) My first ever RPG was probably one of the Xeen (might and magic) games that came out for the Sega Genesis. ...clouds of xeen? I didn't get into RPGs until later. I thrived on the infocom adventures for years.

Xeen was an awesome game...and had an equally awesome manual. It gave you every piece of equipment, skills, magic, stats, towns, and a beastiary ..you name it...not the abbreviated little pamphlets you get nowadays. Though back then, there was no internet to download patches or forums to get hints when you were stuck.

Fond memories...
Post Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:09 am
nOz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

well... my first rpg was icewind dale 2 before i played that game i hated every game with that genere... since i played ID2, cRPG had become da best game genere i had ever played!

P.S. sry for my english but im not very good at it... ill try my best
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:28 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next