Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
What would make you to play Massively Multiplayer Games?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

As far as I can tell Dragon Empires' realms will be interdependant and people can play criminals outside their own realm where they can be hunted by other players from those realms for rewards. It sounds like a pretty decent setup, especially because the cities will be player-run and the economy will be based on the crafters based in those cities. So a careful thief could choose the city he would try and target to aquire certain goods, knowing that a certain level of craftsmanship is based there. And the good thing is that since it's player based, things could change rather drastically over time.

But the game hasn't hit BETA yet, and it will probably only start in December... If everything works as they claim, it could be a nice MMOG. But I've seen too many "if's" and "should" in my gamer's life to be excited to any level yet
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:58 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I know it isn't in beta yet, but I have registered and hope to get selected when it starts.

I hope it isn't like in UO where once you're "grey" or marked as a criminal, everyone has free reign to kill you. I think it would be cool if criminals were not instantly known by everyone, instead to be able to recognize a criminal one would have to go to the local guard house and look at the most wanted posters, even the town guards, who, if I understand correctly, will be played by real people, will have to read the wanted posters to know the criminals.

There are probably abunch of flaws with my system but I just don't understand how everyone in the world instantly knows when you do criminal things.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 7:29 pm
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

quote:
I'm not going to help contribute to the 60+ million dollar/annum game that is both addictive and an inferior product.

I think this Sauron's comment needs a bit of a clarification. Calling something inferior without ever actually participated in it is not quite nice.

So what is inferior, a certain game? Or MMORPG genre generally?
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 8:52 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Hmm, to clarify... let's take Diablo II... (granted that one is free, but I have based my views on it) the graphics of it are two-dimensional, and until the expansion, one could only play in 640x480. There were approximately three fairly large areas and one smaller area in the entire game. The three large areas had 6 quests each, some intertwined, and the small area had 3. Monsters were completely random, as were any items dropped by them. If one wanted to, one could finish the game (in multiplayer) in less than an hour. *TP to Waypoint, follow level 90 barbarian to boss, watch him kill the boss: Act Completed* In order to keep people playing it, there had to be at least one addictive quality, in this case, random items and a difficult-to-climb levelling tree. Once you're addicted, you don't bother noticing the fact that you have been to this level over a hundred times before, you don't notice the fact that, if necessary, you could count each pixel on the screen from three yards away, you don't notice the fact that you ignore the outside world until you find that one ultra-rare item, that you will able to sell to some person living in a cave via EBay for $100. Further, I saw that almost every serious player in D II was using hacks that unveiled the entire map and automatically picked up items of certain calabur within a fraction of a second. Realism... do birds carry gold with them? Then why are they dropping it when I kill them? Only five classes, all of which have pre-determined gender, skin/hair colour, and voice sets? Please, if anyone seriously thinks that a game of this nature, who's, by most anyone's account, prime age group is quite young will be a place of Role-Playing or anything other than power-gaming, step forward.

MMOCF (Massively Multiplayer Online Click Fest)
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:38 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

LOL
Can you really sell weapons from DII on ebay for cash???

What fool would buy a weapon from a game? I'd rather spend $100 and buy a real sword off ebay.

"Yea, so what I didn't like Planescape: Torment, what are you gonna do about it?" - Provis
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:44 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Yeah, before duplicated items came onto the scene, some items were worth about 10-20 SOJ's (currency of the powerful)...

Skip the talk, here's some links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1370737968
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1370732372
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1756070443
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371872132
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1371697473

Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:55 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

LOL.

Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:02 pm
The Omen
High Emperor
High Emperor

LOL, Provis it was good, sorry to copy you.
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:08 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Back in the day, one could get upwards of 10$ an item, but just when I found a worthy item, I lost my Pay-Pal Password and had to wait about two weeks to get a new one by mail. Sadly, in those two weeks, the hackers made their breakthrough.

Not as bad as this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1756310751
Post Thu Aug 08, 2002 11:11 pm
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Some people

Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 12:47 am
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

To compare an MMORPG to Diablo 2 is silly. Thats like comparing peas to bread just because they are both food.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:02 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

quote:
Originally posted by Provis
Sounds like Gig was playing UO.

It was Everquest actually (not with any of the trade stuff, that was just a wish list.). It was a 2 hour session that ended in a betrayed trust. I haven't entertained even the most remote spark of interest since. I'm hoping that can change, though, because I'm attracted to the idea of a MMORPG--it's just that so far they look better on paper than they really are, to me.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast

Last edited by Gig on Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 11:21 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ahh the whole, ransack your shop and trade skills at the expese of combat skills thing got me confused.

I too have had experiences in betrayed trust, mostly in UO though. It really is a big downer and I can understand how you have reservations with trying new MMORPGs.

Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:33 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Hmm, to clarify... let's take Diablo II... (granted that one is free, but I have based my views on it) the graphics of it are two-dimensional, and until the expansion, one could only play in 640x480.

I'm sorry but I have to agree with Xanaki. You can't place your judgement of MMORPGs based on your experience with Diablo online... Diablo was NEVER an MMORPG by any means. It's ok to not like the idea of MMOGs, but if you haven't experieneced it, you can't very well form a good judgement on the matter
And when you say that you won't contribute to a 60+ Million dollars industry, I don't really understand. You know, I don't care about it much. So what if they make money? If the product they offer me for $12 a month is good and worth it, and if I have fun while playing, then I don't mind at all! If I get a feeling that I am paying too much for what the game is worth, I stop playing - and paying right away. It's frustrating to have bought the box in the first place, but at least by then I know I don't have to go on suffering and paying for a game I don't like. Of course, I don't have to struggle to pay $12 a month. I work, I have a nice job and a good living, so I don't care much. I understand those that can't afford it. But to say that you won't feed a 60+ million dollars industry is not a good argument. When you went to see the Lord of the Rings movie last winter, what type of industry did you think you were feeding?
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 3:33 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Gig, give A Tale in the Desert a shot. I've been reading up on it a bit and sounds very intersting and very much an epitomy of what you desire.

It's currently in open beta 2 session. Client for the game is free 45Mb download. The only catch is that you need to log in for the first time during a live session in order to create your account. The next live session will be Aug 14th (hosted for the employees of the US Congress ). Beyond that, you can log into the dev sessions (when the server is running) but your achievements will not be recorded (great for familiarizing with the world and planning on what you'll do for the next live session).

I'm planning on being there on the 14th. If you wanna join me we can try and figure it out together.
Post Fri Aug 09, 2002 4:35 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next