Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Gothic 2 runs slower than Gothic 1?And looks abit worse too?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
fuc847
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Gothic 2 runs slower than Gothic 1?And looks abit worse too?

Hi, before u start flaming me about my comment, I meant worst as in the distance view. In the first one, there were no fog, and the distance view was much much higher (eventho the farther stuff was very very very low detail - several boxes for the whole old camp). Like in the first one, if u stand on top of the hill where u start, u would be able to see the old camp plus alot more. But in Gothic 2, stand on the hill wher eu start and u cant even see the town (khorinis). Why is this? And personally, I dont find gothic2 much more of a graphic enhancement over gothic 1, only thing i really see are the higher texture resolution. Polycounts seem to be the same. Ok, sorry i DID miss one thing, gothic 2 has alot more vegetation, but damn, if vegetation is what is slowing the game down to unplayable, then i rather delete them or turn them off.

Ok now all of this, AND gothic2 runs 4 times as slow as gothic 1! ( i just d/led the ghotic 1 demo just to compare). I mean, if u say that gothic 2 has more NPCs shown in view, go to gothic1 old camp and stand in side, there are an equal number of NPCs!

Either there must be some weird bug... or... i dunno.... someone please help

my specs:
1.2ghz ahtlon thunderbird
kt266 mobo
512 pc2100 ram
gf4ti4200
Win XP pro <- this be the prob?
Dx 9 <- maybe this?
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:35 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Collect some more data.
Type frate into the character screen and close it with B or Esc to see the frame counter.

Gothic had 20-23 fps on your machine. I bet Gothic 2 has more in the wilderness and less in town and on Lobardīs farm.
Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:45 am
Vash The Stampede
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

There is a thing I can not understand well. In my computer the german demo run very well, not super smooth but quite well. The complete game runs very slow. At the beggining of the game, demo and full game are, in terms of polys and graph stuff, identical, and are only afew npcs around, so why the heck the full game runs much slower than the demo?!?!? Don't tell to reduce graph detail, that will not help becasue my card _could_ move the demo quite well. I know that I would need more ram but, as I said I cant understand why, in that specific part of the game the game runs slower. I mean that part cause I cant compare with the city , in the full game has more npcs.

Is there a way to reduce the amount on npcs into memory?
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:40 pm
Dr.Ghz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Im having the same problem

I seem to have the same frame rate no matter how set thje graphics on.
between 30fps to 8fps on a 2400XP 512mb Gfroce 4 ti 4600 128mb
plus i hv a Raid 0 2 x 40g (8mb) 7200rpm..

Its not the box man
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:12 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Not enough for such a machine.
Create a fixed swap file (at least 1 GB) and increase the AGP aperture size.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:00 am