Usergroups
Not with a bang, but a whimper *sigh*
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Single player appears to be working fine... that's enough to hold me over. Especially since I'm supposed to be writing a review for it...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 5:41 am
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

The single player is just a bonus, no one really pay much attention for it. I hope that you will rate the MP part 'fairly'. Are you going to wait until patch 9.11 (not a typo) or as is?
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 6:57 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The entire thing gets judged heavily. Anything that came in the box is fair game. Including the errors (it's lost a few technical points so far).

Reviews are written to provide information for potential buyers. Normally I'd judge a game on whatever patch is released by the time I'm finished and make a note that there are further patches planned. NWN has until I finish single player to get everything working correctly (as I have already logged about 40 online hours and have multiplay firmly judged).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:53 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
I haven't dared try SP since it happened. Instead I completed Jedi Knight 2.

Try playing that on Gamespy's 100 pinged, 20 person FFA servers... You will then ask your self why the NWN sever engine can't handle 6 people without crashing.
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:33 pm
Kane
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yep yep yep. This is exactly why I read the patch.txt's to see what the hell the patch did, and if it doesn't affect me, THEN I DON'T PATCH!

Truth is, some of us may have just suffered from the 'gotta have the latest' itch. I've been playing the single player and I've been lanning NWN extensively, without any major problems (And my pc was the one serving - which by the way couldn't be more easier and user friendly).

Only patch if you have to! (ie. There are lotsa GAME balancing issues and other modifictations to the actual game)

All in my humble opinion of course...
Post Sun Jun 30, 2002 9:22 pm
Gaijin
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

quote:
Originally posted by Kane
Yep yep yep. This is exactly why I read the patch.txt's to see what the hell the patch did, and if it doesn't affect me, THEN I DON'T PATCH!

Truth is, some of us may have just suffered from the 'gotta have the latest' itch. I've been playing the single player and I've been lanning NWN extensively, without any major problems (And my pc was the one serving - which by the way couldn't be more easier and user friendly).

Only patch if you have to! (ie. There are lotsa GAME balancing issues and other modifictations to the actual game)

All in my humble opinion of course...

I finally get the internet up and running again (My cable company is on strike ), I patch for the effects and now gaming is near impossible....Good thing I'm a patient bugger...

on the plus side, at least when the going gets rough, the developers are still there and not off hiding.
Post Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:06 am
Greymane
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

What multiplayer?!

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
The entire thing gets judged heavily. Anything that came in the box is fair game. Including the errors (it's lost a few technical points so far).

Reviews are written to provide information for potential buyers. Normally I'd judge a game on whatever patch is released by the time I'm finished and make a note that there are further patches planned. NWN has until I finish single player to get everything working correctly (as I have already logged about 40 online hours and have multiplay firmly judged).

Exactly what do you load when you want to play 'multiplayer'? Do you have a module that I am missing that has a functioning mulitplayer world? All I got in the box was a single player game that is totally useless with multiple people in it! I'd really like to know what you're loading, and if you're going to rate the single player game with multiple players in it... I hope you will advise everyone that it is a totally pointless exercise. I must be missing something really big here.
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:49 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Certainly. I am basing my review on the multiplayer engine in combination with the DM client. To facilitate this I play in user created modules online and created my own test module for testing the DM client's ease of use and power.

I do not judge NWN's multiplayer on the quality of these user modules, as it's irrelevant. I am judging it based on:

- How easy it is to connect to a multiplayer game on Gamespy
- How easy it is to connect to a multiplayer game via IP Direct Connect
- How easy it is to connect to a mutiplayer game over a LAN
- How easy it is to host a game on these platforms
- Network stability
- How easy it is to dynamically adjust the world with the DM client after the game is in progress

Single player I am judging by:

- Depth of plot
- Character interaction
- Class playability
- Magic item saturation (bearing in mind it's a computer game)
- Voice acting
- Fun factor

The game engine I am judging by:

- Combat
- Character Generation
- Graphics
- Sound quality
- Music quality
- Stability (and I've had some real issues with that since 1.19 has been put out. Just today NWN stopped working. Entirely. NWNMain was causing an error in user.exe. Fortunately, repatching (which copied over the NWMain.exe file) fixed the problem.)

Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 11:10 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2