install the addon on english version
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
royc
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

install the addon on english version

i tryed insatalling the add-on on the engliash version (after placing the german 1.28 crack) but it wont let me install the game , the install is passive - i cant click it , is there anything else i sould do to install the add-on
Post Fri May 07, 2004 3:19 am
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

"Why the world is round?", story of "How I in

OK, here we go, below you will find the information, how to install german "Night of the Raven" on english (v 1.31) version of Gothic 2. Note that the game will become quite "multilingual" then and if you know about german language just as much as cows know about moon landings, don't bother then and just wait for the translation. Anyways:

quote:
STEP 0: Install another copy of Gothic2, in case you mess something up. COPY your savegames to some other place for now, for safekeeping! Install another G2 copy to folder, say, \Program Files\JoWood\Gothic II, that will do.

STEP 1: In System folder of your new G2 installation, rename the file vdfs32е.exe to vdfs32g.exe; rename the file vdfs32е.dll to vdfs32g.dll.

STEP 2: You need GERMAN gothic.exe file now, to replace the english one. From where you get it, is up to you, I'd say try german G2 CD.

STEP 3: Download patches 1.29 and 1.30 and install these. NB! Make SURE you point the patcher to CORRECT path, if you installed second copy of G2, as described in STEP 0!

-- Patch 1.29
-- Patch 1.30

STEP 4: Install the Night of the Raven add-on. Make SURE you install it on CORRECT G2, if you installed the second G2 copy as in STEP 0 above!

STEP 5: Once "NotR" is installed, download and apply "NotR" patches:

-- Patch 2.5a
-- Patch 2.6

STEP 6: Once the patches have been applied, run, just in case, in that G2 SYSTEM folder the following file: vdfs32g.exe. Let it finish (green bar will flash few times) and, you're done.

Those who understand russian more then german language, you can add russian translation pack. This will change only the written text in the game to russian, everything else, spoken text, will remain english and german mix. To install russian text, do the following (after the STEP 5):

quote:
STEP 5A: Download russian text for NotR v 2.6 and install it:

-- from here

STEP 5B: remove file Ou.bin from <your_G2_folder_from_STEP_0_here>\_work\Data\scripts\Content\Cutscene\ folder

STEP 5C: remove ALL files (save Gothic2.plc, IF it is there) from folder <your_G2_folder_from_STEP_0_here>\_work\Data\Textures\_compiled\

STEP 5D: run the file patch.exe from main G2 folder and point it to file <your_G2_folder_from_STEP_0_here>\Data\Textures_Addon.vdf , this will add russian font to the game.

Continue with STEP 6 now from above.

And that's it. Note that this is NOT "figured out" by me, I just gathered the data from the net into one post. If you search the net some, you'll find this data yourself in few places too, here it is gathered into one neat (hopefully) post. Note that all this you will do on your own, without any support or help, so if it doesn't work, you most likely did something wrong, not to mention that not I or no one else will help you to make it work If you suspect that it's too much for you - DO NOT DO it, you're on your own. I can just add that this all works for me quite well.
Post Fri May 07, 2004 11:23 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Ok, now this is interesting.

According to Cathyso in the "English ... for German NOTR" thread, you do not need any of the German Gothic 2 *at all* in order to install the addon over the English G2. I specifically asked about this and he said no.

But in your instructions you state that you need at least the executable. Can anyone (cathyso) confirm that the German gohtic.exe file is actually needed?
Post Fri May 07, 2004 1:08 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

As I said, I didn't "invent" this method, so I can't give that many details either, but I guess that the german exe file is needed for the patching process. I haven't tried whether this works if I use the english one, but, who is telling that you cannot try it, eh? Just start with the step 0, i.e. install another copy of G2 and then try, and if it works, add a post to this topic, or PM me and I will edit this post, with credits to you for testing
Post Fri May 07, 2004 1:13 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

u deffenetly need the german executable file cos u need to patch and all i tested it allready
Post Fri May 07, 2004 2:02 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Works with USA Gothic 2 (1.32) as well

I can now verify that Whailor's process works with the North American (v. 1.32) version of Gothic 2 as well.

I followed the steps exactly with my new German Addon and it works great.

Of course, everything is a mix of German and English as was stated, but there
don't appear to be any glaring problems.

I've only explored the Xardas' tower and Lester's valley so far, but have found numerous changes from the original. This is going to be a totally different experience -- I can tell.

Only the translation remains I guess.

(P.S. -- Since I got only got the addon I was concerend about not having original German G2 exe. But alas, I was able to get a "substitute" for the German 1.28 Gothic 2 EXE from a well known site which shall not be named. Use your head and figure it out)
Post Mon May 17, 2004 9:06 pm
Ruslan Ismailov
Village Leader
Village Leader

German patch 1.29 does not check language of executable.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 9:22 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ruslan Ismailov
German patch 1.29 does not check language of executable.

Perhaps not, but it certainly checked for the right version number. It refused to
patch when I tried to use it on the USA 1.32 EXE.

It only worked when I put the German EXE in the Gothic2 directory.
Post Mon May 17, 2004 9:42 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

ah u allready have the exe file
Post Mon May 17, 2004 9:51 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

I have personally played through the add-on with this method and it works, from the beginning till the end. I found no issues at all (well, except the missing english voices and text ). And, yes, this add-on makes G2 totally new experience, from the first moments. World is now much more... "filled", many more details in the game, not only new, but even a load of old content, which wasn't tied to anything, has now a meaning. So, definately something good.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 11:23 am
Ruslan Ismailov
Village Leader
Village Leader

Well... Realy, add-on, installed by such way have a few memory leackages. When you do s/l it eat memory and not return it. But I don't know, is this bug of add-on or unsupported installation issue.
Post Tue May 18, 2004 1:19 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ruslan Ismailov
Well... Realy, add-on, installed by such way have a few memory leackages. When you do s/l it eat memory and not return it. But I don't know, is this bug of add-on or unsupported installation issue.

imo this issue was in gothic 2 german version also after every save load it became slower and slower and at the end it was that bad that i needed to end the game and restart my pc
Post Tue May 18, 2004 3:48 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Yes, the memory leak issue is not related to this installation method. It's present even in english G2, v 1.31, although to smaller extent. But it's there.
Post Fri May 21, 2004 8:12 pm
Rordog
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

add on woes....help please

Hey guys. Maybe I am just not that bright but I am trying to install the german addon onto my english version of gothic 2 and I think I am following the steps outlined above. I replaced exe with german version 1.30 (from patch extraction) and I also renamed the two files by changing the (e) to a (g) for the other exe file and the dll file. then it says to patch with v1.29 and 1.30. Neither patch will install for me as the next button (in german) is greyed out. it says something in bold lettering above it and babelfish translated it to mean "Dai installation program updates Gothic 2 in the indicated file. For installation in another file on selections click. In the indicated file none was found gothic to 2 installation. Elections it a file, in which the Gothic 2 retail version is installed." this is with the pathway setup to be program files/Jowood/gothic2. the game is fully installed in this directory. Anyways if this step could be solved I think I can manage the rest. anywho, help me if you can I am really looking foward to trying out the add on and I would love to be able to play it before the full english finally gets released. thank you
rordog
I think I solved the problem i just had to click the specific pathway.
yeeha.

Last edited by Rordog on Fri May 28, 2004 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri May 28, 2004 4:51 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

If you have 1.30 then you don't need the patch. Just go directly to the part
where you install the add-on now. The patch is only needed to get
German 1.28 EXEs *to* version 1.30.
Post Fri May 28, 2004 5:06 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next