G2 runs really slow. Why?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

G2 runs really slow. Why?

In some areas in the game the speed slows down so much it`s unbearable to play. For example in the harbor area...it is going annoyingly slow, or at the Khorinis pass if you`r facing the bridge from the gate etc. At other places it goes well.
I didn`t have this problem earlier, but then I reinstalled Windows a few times and installed G2 too and it started to go really slow. I reinstalled Windows again and again, but the problem still occured. I`m 100% that this is somekind of software problem because -as I mentoned above- the game went perfectly earlier.
My system: AMD AthlonXP 2500+, Gigabyte GA 7N400-L, 2x256DDR 400 RAM (PQI), Club3D Radeon 9800 Pro + Zalman VF700 AlCu cooler, Maxtor 40GB, 7200rpm hard drive, using WindowsXP PRofessional + Service Pack 2
BTW: I always install ServicePack 2 for WindowsXP Prof., could that be the problem?

Thank you!
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:38 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Sounds normal to me. Average CPU, not enough RAM. Performance problems in certain areas are probably unavoidable.
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:29 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Gorath
Sounds normal to me. Average CPU, not enough RAM. Performance problems in certain areas are probably unavoidable.

As I mentioned above, the game went perfectly a few months ago and I didn`t change anything since then...I only reinstalled Windows a few times.
Post Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:38 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Most likely you simply forgot to disable some enviromental effects what you didn't have on before and now you have the performance problems. Go to options and disable shadows and waves and clouds and so on, and try then. Some of those options, while making the game look nice and more real, require quite a bunch of resources and if the hardware doesn't have it, it just slows down.
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:40 am
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Whailor
Most likely you simply forgot to disable some enviromental effects what you didn't have on before and now you have the performance problems. Go to options and disable shadows and waves and clouds and so on, and try then. Some of those options, while making the game look nice and more real, require quite a bunch of resources and if the hardware doesn't have it, it just slows down.

I ALWAYS played Gothic 2 on max graphics + all effects on and it went perfectly. As i reinstalled Windows a few times...it started to go very poorly in some areas (Khorinis pass for ex). So this isn`t the problem.
What kind of op. system do you use? Do you install SP 2?
Post Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:10 am
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Did you install the add-on? It causes a memory leak over time as you play, that will make it slower each time you load a game without restarting the computer. You won't notice it at first, but after 5+ hours of gaming it will be considerably slower.

I can't really tell you any advice on how to make it fast, as I have lag and perfomance issues all the time in, and around, the city of Khorinis.

It might be as simple as another anti-virus program install in the background, or some other tool consuming memory. Shut down all programs before playing the game, that should enhance the performance a little.

Yes, I have WinXP with SP2.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:53 am
MC_Renzy
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It isn't your computer ,its the crappy game engine. My system is something like yours. Barton2500@3200,1024 ddr400 ram, sata raptor 36gig(10,000rpm), Radeon 9800XT, Windows XP SP1. Once in a blue moon the game will run great in the city at 300% view then the next time I start it up, it will run like rubbish and continue to do so till the next full moon(jk). Actually, cant remeber the last time it ran good (yes I tried reinstalling at least a 100 times,including windows). Only way I can somehwat improve the frame skipping is by disabling cloud shadows and weather effects, disabling other options does nothing . Don't bother trying to get her to run smooth man. I wasted 3 days of my life trying every single thing I could possibly think of to try to stop the game from skipping frames. Just to give you an idea, I tried underclocking, extreme overclocking, disabling all windows services and background programs, changing ram timings, changing every option in bios, changing devices from usb to ps2, defragging, chaninging monitors, trying analog over digital, removing sound blaster and using onboard sound, disabling internet connection, altering every option in gothic2.ini, trying service pack 2, tweaking every option for directx, using older versions of directx, trying another hard drive, trying Windows 98se, messing with every single option in windows such as virtual memory and disabling every graphic enhancment, switching ram around, etc, etc, etc. Even running with all graphics off and at 320x240(gothic2.ini), the game still skips every 5 seconds or so. The only thing I haven't tried is using an Nforce instead of a VIA motherboard. I'm afraid your just going to have to deal with it. Even Gothic 1 has these skip problems, just not as bad. Hopefully Gothic 3 will use a different engine. By the way, all my 2005 games and older run perfectly on my system. Its just the Gothic games and Thief 2(very old game) that don't run so great. Bad engines.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:48 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy
It isn't your computer ,its the crappy game engine. My system is something like yours. Barton2500@3200,1024 ddr400 ram, sata raptor 36gig(10,000rpm), Radeon 9800XT, Windows XP SP1. Once in a blue moon the game will run great in the city at 300% view then the next time I start it up, it will run like rubbish and continue to do so till the next full moon(jk). Actually, cant remeber the last time it ran good (yes I tried reinstalling at least a 100 times,including windows). Only way I can somehwat improve the frame skipping is by disabling cloud shadows and weather effects, disabling other options does nothing . Don't bother trying to get her to run smooth man. I wasted 3 days of my life trying every single thing I could possibly think of to try to stop the game from skipping frames. Just to give you an idea, I tried underclocking, extreme overclocking, disabling all windows services and background programs, changing ram timings, changing every option in bios, changing devices from usb to ps2, defragging, chaninging monitors, trying analog over digital, removing sound blaster and using onboard sound, disabling internet connection, altering every option in gothic2.ini, trying service pack 2, tweaking every option for directx, using older versions of directx, trying another hard drive, trying Windows 98se, messing with every single option in windows such as virtual memory and disabling every graphic enhancment, switching ram around, etc, etc, etc. Even running with all graphics off and at 320x240(gothic2.ini), the game still skips every 5 seconds or so. The only thing I haven't tried is using an Nforce instead of a VIA motherboard. I'm afraid your just going to have to deal with it. Even Gothic 1 has these skip problems, just not as bad. Hopefully Gothic 3 will use a different engine. By the way, all my 2005 games and older run perfectly on my system. Its just the Gothic games and Thief 2(very old game) that don't run so great. Bad engines.

Your lack of effort to resolve the problem baffles me! COME ONE MAN!!! Try to find the problem!

I have only a 1900xp, 512mb of Mushkin ram, avg. 7200 rpm drive, and a GeForce4 4600ti vid card. I do get some slowdown in Khourinis, but only barely. It is still very playable. Sometimes, anywhere in the game, I get a freeze and have to release any keys I might be using, but it does not affect the game in any way. And it only happens maybe one an hour.

I do not have sp2. It caused to many problems with other programs. I suspect the memory leak combined with sp2 might be a problem.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:35 pm
bigboy_
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by MC_Renzy

Huh...you really did try almost everything . I have a motherboard using an nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset so don`t bother trying that nForce thing. What annoys me is that the game went perfectly a couple of months ago and now it runs very bad in some areas. It`s playable..no problem, but if you are a paladin for example and you`r at the Khorinis pass facing the bridge..well..I don`t know how you will kill that Orcish War Lord (is that its name?) because the game isn`t going smoothly and you will have problems with the controls durin the fight.
The game went perfectly with SP1 but I won`t install that cause I nedd SP2s` firewall.
Well...what can I say....we can`t do anything to solve this problem. Luckelly it`s not a major one...you can complete the game without having head aches because of this issue.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:45 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

Blame it on Microsoft and not G2, after all G2 was here first.
Post Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:26 am