TOEE: What feats to get?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

TOEE: What feats to get?

I have no experience besides NWN with 3 or 3.5. And even in NMW I barley new what I was doing. Cleave was good because it gave you target of opertunity. But thats about the extent of my knowledge of what makes a good feat.

But I know from reading descriptions of feats that it really is not much help when it comes to their actual usefulness in the game. Anyone know which of the feats that were implamented that are must haves (it looks like everyone wants tumble for some reason). And which feas are really nice to have?

Any explanation would be very apreciated. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Title editied because I thought the game was called Temple Tof Olimental Evil but know know better

Last edited by Roqua on Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:00 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Everyone and their dog wants tumble because a tumble check, DC 15, allows you to move 20 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity. Of course, a low dex dwarf in heavy full plate will never make the DC 15 check, so you have to use a little common sense when you go to assign skill points to characters.

Power attack and cleave are good fighter feats.

Improved initiative basically ensures a rogue goes first, which allows them to get their most reliable sneak attack of the combat off.

For that matter, improved initiative is good if your unsure what to do with a feat for any character. A party going first often means the enemies don't go at all.

Point blank shot and precise shot are critical for archers. Most ranged combat in this game will take place at 30 feet or less, with people in melee. Point blank shot gives you a +1 to hit and damage at that range, and precise shot eliminates the penalty for shooting into melee.

Depending on how robust the crafting engine is, craft wonderous item may be very useful at level 3. If they use the item levels in the DMG, though, it won't be until about level 9 or so. *shrug* Item creation feats are up in the air right now.

Metamagic + sorcerer = versitility to their limited spell list. Heck, if you take still spell you can have your Sorcerer wandering around casting fireballs all day in Full Plate. My prefered metamagics are heightened spell and empower spell. Note that with a level 10 cap, however, empower really won't be worth it before level 9.

Once I see a feat list I'll be able to provide some more answers.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:41 pm
Roqua
High Emperor
High Emperor

Thanks for the reply. It NWN i thought Power Attack was crap and only good to get cleave, but in a turn-based game I can see how it could be very nice.

But I notice that in RT games I play them like I would an action game. I picture combat in TOEE to be alot more involved and I might actually put some effort into learning the rules. I just found the posts you made summing them up.
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:21 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Cleave is wonderful in a low level game... it's like a second attack (only better) 5 levels before you're supposed to get one. Power attack, in the long run, will see more useage. It's great against low armor class, high hit point foes (like oozes, most beasts, animals, certain undead).

My philosophy is that if you hit something on a 2 (for example, attacking an ooze with an 8 armor class with a +15 to hit) you might as well get the most out of that 2. In this case, you can squeeze 8 points of power attack into the attack... that's +8 damage with a one handed weapon, and +16 damage with a two handed weapon in 3.5. And you still hit on a 2.

It's great against wizards as well.

Time to think and act definitely changes strategies. What works real time still works turn based, of course.... but turn based there are ways to tweak the strategies to become more optimal. In real time you tend to hack as fast as possible, and heal up afterwards... it's what works. Turn based, if you try hard, you can eliminate 50% of the damage you would have taken... leading to longer playing time without rests (not a big deal in most computer games thesedays).

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:43 pm