Win XP and Might and Magic 7
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Win XP and Might and Magic 7

I thought I'd post this here in case any one else had similar problems.

I tried installing M&M7 recently on my XP system with DirectX 8.1. M&M would not run.

What fixed the problem for me: I went into the directX control panel and disabled Direct Draw and Direct 3D acceleration. I then had M&M7 ignore the 3D sound. It ran.

Others were able to solve the problem by: selecting the "Use software" for 3D in the M&M set up and running under 256 color mode (doable through the desk top short cut).

A third group had to use the Win 95 emulator in the desk to short cut in addition to the "Use software" option in the setup.

I hope this saves at least ONE person the hours of frustration I experienced!
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:55 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

I was able to run mm7 in xp.

The problem was it ran too fast. I would tap the arrow key and i would turn around 180'.

Id need some sort of slow down utility. MM8 worked fine though.
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:15 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by the mighty stamar
I was able to run mm7 in xp.

The problem was it ran too fast. I would tap the arrow key and i would turn around 180'.

Id need some sort of slow down utility. MM8 worked fine though.

I had this issue too. Under the game options there are three turn modes, choose the continuous (sp???) option - you will find it works just fine.

Edit - I checked at home, the turn option is "Smooth". There is 16x, 32x and smooth.

Last edited by Lintra on Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:21 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

No Dice..

I tried to get MM 7 to work on my XP based system with no luck, even using the above suggestions.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy an old used machine and run Windows 98 to play some of these older games....
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:03 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Re: No Dice..

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
I tried to get MM 7 to work on my XP based system with no luck, even using the above suggestions.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to buy an old used machine and run Windows 98 to play some of these older games....

I really dislike refering our memebers to other places, but try Telp's. The site specializes in M&M 6-->9. The home page is here.

There is NO reason you should not be able to run it on your system. If you do succede, please let us know what worked.

Thanks and good luck!
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 12:12 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Re: No Dice..

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus

You might want to give us some more details about your symptoms. I'm running MM7 quite successfully on an XP system. In fact, Team Evil is ready for the final quest. Perhaps we can help you get up and running.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:31 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Thanks for offering to help.

I went to that website and confirmed that others were having problems with XP, but no real solutions were there, although I only went back a few weeks into the past posts.

My system specs:

Athlon XP 1.7 GHZ
500 mb RAM
GeForce 2 GTS 32 mb
Windows XP (with first patch)
Sound Blaster Live Value

Its really a pretty basic system, and I've tried all the compatibility modes and whatnot, but no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:56 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Hmm. Your system is almost identical to mine. I have NO idea why turning off the acceleration in DirectX did not work for you.

I will double check when I get home, but I am sure all I did was:

a. Install latest version of M&M7
b. Disable both kinds of acceleration from DirectX diagnostic tool set (the third tab I believe)
c. Run mm7setup to select software for the video option and turn off the 3D audio option.
d. I MAY be running under a Win95 emulation, I will check tonight, but I do not believe so.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:04 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Looks like all three of us are running similar rigs. I've got a better video card and I'm currently using the on-board sound rather than my SBLive Value, but none of those should make any difference.

Since I forgot a critical detail in trying to help Lintra, I did some checking before I uninstalled last night. I downloaded DX9.0b about a week ago, but I had no problem with DX9.0a before that. In MM7Setup, I picked software acceleration (modern systems make the speed hit irrelevant). Because of the way my sound is set up, 3D audio was not an option according to the game. I would have turned it off anyway. After the install is done, I brought up the properties of the shortcut and set it to run in 256 color mode (MM7 supports 16k color, but XP does not have that as an option- I didn't notice any difference in the display). I had to pick "smooth" turning in the game options or else the party spun out of control.

With those things, I ran fine. The game took a while to fire up the 3DO screen, possibly due to switching to 256 color mode. I just had to be patient. Also, the first time you play will take extra time to fire up because the game loads the intro movie and will not let you escape out of it.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:07 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@dte - I am surprised that he is having trouble ... like you my video card is an upgrade but that should not make a difference. The only thing I can think of is the version of DirectX.

@Sir Markus - What version of DirectX are you running? I have 8.1 installed.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:24 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Thanks for all the fuss, but I FINALLY managed to get it working after trying almost every possible configuration variation.

What I had to do:

In the configuration utility, I had to disable 3d hardware, and disable accelerated audio, and that's it.

It's kind of weird, because I ran this game on Windows 98 SE and Windows ME with the exact same video card and it ran fine. I know this game doesn't have that much in the way of 3d graphics, but I'd like to play through it again in the best possible way. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this program to allow my graphics hardware to run the game? It's no big deal, just curious why my hardware would work in 98SE and ME and not in XP.

Again, thanks for the help, I'm looking forward to playing through this excellent, and underrated game, again..
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:32 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Just as an addendum, I think I got too caught up in fooling around with compatibility mode; that had zero effect on my ability to run this game. It all seems to be centered around my video card/DirectX 8.1.

It's just driving me nuts that I'm not going to be able to explore all those great MMVII dungeons without lighting effects....sigh.
Post Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:41 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@Sir Markus - Glad you got it running. If I recall you are not missing much, I don't really notice any difference. Anyway, glad we could be of some assistance.

Lintra turns to dte and gives him a salute. "Another problem solved sir!"
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:16 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

*returns salute*
Good show, mate!
Post Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:01 pm
pauk
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Re: Win XP and Might and Magic 7

Windows XP Application Compatibility Toolkit (free download from microsoft) has MM7 on it. Runs perfectly after using it.
Post Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:50 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next