Fallout question
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Gish
Almighty Gish
Almighty Gish

Fallout question

I bought the Fallout1/2 pack and of course I want to play these games because I have heard so much about them, even though they are pretty old. but I am wondering what is the average time that each of the games takes to beat? because I am pretty busy right now, and I will wait if they take too long.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:41 pm
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Fallout 1: circa 70 hours
Fallout 2: circa 150 hours
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:21 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

@HiddenX

Those times seem long to me. Of couse I played both games for the last time many years ago.

But 150 hrs @ 4hrs a day = 37.5 days ... way longer than I remember playing.

I would have put Fallout2 at about 60-80 hrs. I'll bet Val can shed some light.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:40 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

I don't know about hours, but I'd say one week of your life devoted to nothing but it (dawn till dusk--or the other way around) would be a good measure of time.
Post Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:45 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Hehe, what Moondragon describes is about how I played Fallout and Fallout 2. Thank heavens for Christmas vacation!

But it really depends on whether or not you want to do everything or not. I'm a do everything type of game player, thus the longer playing time. You could win these games in 50 hours or 150 hours depending on style of play.
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:03 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

For sure you can play the Fallouts faster, but I remember that I have played Fallout 1 one week and Fallout 2 two weeks (ca. 10 hours each day) the first time through.

- Doing every side-quest of course (without a walkthrough ! )
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:56 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Last week I completed Fallout 2 in... uh... 12 hours maybe. Perhaps 15. it was over 3 days. It was my third time 'completely' through (all sidequests, etc).

The first time I played it... I think it took somewhere around 30 hours or so to do everything I could. They're not very long by my standards... I guess if you wanted to be higher level than 15 or so then it could take a lot longer... and if you want to get all the 'special' encounters I guess it would take a LOT longer than THAT...

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:49 pm
The Hurricane
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Hmm...I finished Fallout in under 20hrs, maybe 15.

I haven't finished Fallout 2 yet...

"Stand back...there's a hurricane coming through..."
Post Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:40 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by EverythingXen
Last week I completed Fallout 2 in... uh... 12 hours maybe. Perhaps 15. it was over 3 days. It was my third time 'completely' through (all sidequests, etc).

The first time I played it... I think it took somewhere around 30 hours or so to do everything I could. They're not very long by my standards... I guess if you wanted to be higher level than 15 or so then it could take a lot longer... and if you want to get all the 'special' encounters I guess it would take a LOT longer than THAT...
So in other words, you didn't go "completely" through, since you didn't do all the special encounters.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:55 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I don't consider the 'specials' to be quests or subquests. I've probably still never seen them all (despite spending two weeks one time with a maximum luck and ranger and scout walking from San Fran to New Reno (that desert, I believe, has the highest special chance).

Anything I can't directly control happening in a game I don't consider part of a 'complete' experience. It would be like saying "I didn't complete the game because I didn't critically hit with this weapon once and get this particular graphic".

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:56 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
I don't consider the 'specials' to be quests or subquests. I've probably still never seen them all (despite spending two weeks one time with a maximum luck and ranger and scout walking from San Fran to New Reno (that desert, I believe, has the highest special chance).

Different special encounters appear on different parts of the map. Some are desert only (e.g. Guardian of Time). Some are mountains only (e.g. bridge). Some appear only in certain parts of the map (e.g. whale that fell from the sky). Some are not special encounters, but rather have special items (e.g. Trader Willy with his alien pistol north of Modoc).

About playing a long time, some people like to explore as many avenues as possible. After all, how many of you found the magic 8-ball the first time through? Or the Easter egg? Have you spoken to the Enclave soldier, that threatens you he'll send over as squad of Enclave soldiers, over the computer in the power plant in Gecko? Have you tried out all the different NPCs (well, to within reason, since somthing like the robot can have many diffent variations--including Myron's brain ). Did you join all the gangs in New Reno? And the list goes on and on.

I'm pretty sure that you can't do all the side quests (that are not mutually exclusive) and finish the game in 15 hours. After all, it takes me 15 hours to finish knowing almost every quest fairly intimately.
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:03 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Fair enough. I haven't ever fully explored the map, so I'm certain I missed certain standard 'hidden' locations. I never found the 8 ball or the Easter egg. Also a lot of quests were solved or completed by way of the Gun. Not always the best ending to a quest by any means, but the fastest.

Also, the first place I went with that 15 to 20 hour game was... uh... san fran. Then Navarro to get certain items that I won't spoil. After that I went to the Den and... well... let's say early game is pretty damned quick after that.

Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:52 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Also, the first place I went with that 15 to 20 hour game was... uh... san fran. Then Navarro to get certain items that I won't spoil. After that I went to the Den and... well... let's say early game is pretty damned quick after that.

Cheater!
Post Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:14 pm