Snipers?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
Siphax
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Snipers?

Is a sniper character possible? Does the "backstab" 4x damage multipier apply for bows shots as well as melee weapons? It would be pretty fun to get a good bow and sneak around and snipe unsuspecting people for quadruple damage from the safety of a rooftop.

If someone with with the game could please answer, Siphax would be most appreciative.

Siphax
Post Thu May 02, 2002 11:41 am
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'm not sure, but...

I'm really not certain, but in one of the official trailers there is a very short scene where an archer character fires a single shot down from the battlements of a castle. It strikes an NPC and drops them in one shot. I do not know if this is due to the character's very high level, or whether backstab damage was awarded for such an attack. Either way, it looked sick, and I'm dying to try it.

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:08 pm
HanshaSuro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Archery general questions

Figured here would be as good a place as any to pose some general questions about archery:

How does aiming work? I take it there's nothing like an arc on your shots, and that if you're aiming at a baddie, and fire, the arrow will just fly straight at the target. Am I right?

I also assume that there is no location based damage? i.e. A hit is a hit is a hit.

How's the range on bows? Does it vary from bow to bow, and does Morrowind finally give them the range that they need to be effective? Games have been shorting bows on their most deadly characteristic, range, for quite some time.

Thanks,

"I read somewhere that in the last census, 1.6 percent of the population was not counted. How can they know that?"
-George Carlin
Post Thu May 02, 2002 12:35 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

All I know is that there is no location based damage...the devs didn't want to reward ppl for going after the folks with no helmets all the time; can't blame them there.

Can't accurately answer the rest of your questions, but I would suspect bows have nice range, I haven't heard any real complaints as of yet...
Post Thu May 02, 2002 3:28 pm
Sand

No sniping

The manual is pretty clear that backstabbing only applies to melee attacks; it says you get the bonus if you sneak up to someone undetected, and it only applies for the first strike.

Now I can't wait to get off work so I can try it myself.
Post Thu May 02, 2002 4:49 pm

7of9

What about long blade as a back stab? Will that do more damage than short blade?
Post Sat May 04, 2002 3:39 am

GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

quote:
Originally posted by iplaygames2
All I know is that there is no location based damage...the devs didn't want to reward ppl for going after the folks with no helmets all the time; can't blame them there.

Can't accurately answer the rest of your questions, but I would suspect bows have nice range, I haven't heard any real complaints as of yet...

Actually there is sort of locational damage, but its randomized: When you hit the game randomly chooses one part of the body to be hit and applies the armor ratings for it etc. Same thing happens to you and governs what damage a hit does and which armor skill becomes trained: e.g. you get hit on the heavy armor breastplate: raises heavy armor skill. Get hit on uncovered arms: raise unarmored skill. You just cant aim for the damage zones.

Bows seem to have quite a range, someone postd somewhere shooting froma rock outside town to a crowded market place in the centre, almost at the visibility distance and hitting people, and then having a procession of guards coming after him
Post Sat May 04, 2002 7:35 am