Usergroups
Gothic great or ......???
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Maybe weird topic name..but i'm getting the idea alot of ya'll are dissapointed with Gothic.... i love the demo...and i still can't wait for the full game...STILL not here... but i read all these impressions and they aren't that fantastic ...so the game has a definetely crap ending...i can live with that...but what about the atmosphere we all loved? people doing their jobs..at night their sitting at the campfire or sleeping..getting mad when you enter their homes...just everything..the armors..creatures..graphics.. how did the full game turn out to be? and don't go tell me things like the controls are crap..i'm already used to them...nothing wrong with em...
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 4:19 pm
the-skull-king
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

the game is pretty weak... but if you like the demo then buy the game. if you liked it then you will like the game. besides.. the game is pretty much the same chapter over and over.. just different quests and more plot revealing.

its not like the chapters put you in a different map or world. so dont expect that.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:19 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Gothic is very good, but no masterpiece, IMO.
PB took many risks, they tried to be innovative and sacrificed intuitive access on the way.
This game has many aspects you can like or dislike. The controls are either fast or nonresponsive, the nonlinear part is not linear enough and vice versa, the storyline is creative or full of clichés, too long or too short, the pace too slow in the beginning or too fast in the end. The playing time is 20 hours for FF, because he runs and kills fast, or 80 hours for Moriendor, who explores every inch of the map ....
All of this is a matter of taste. I had a lot of fun with Gothic.

It´s definately a good idea to play the demo b4 you buy the game, to find out your opinion on the points mentioned above. The demo is the beginning of the game, so you know what to expect.
Post Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:57 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well ...i played the demo to death...it was one incredible demo IMO...and no doubt i will get this game...i talked to every single persion in the camps...just to well...talk and hear what people had to say...that's what rpg's are all about..
i was talking to someone...he wanted me to show another camp..i couldn't wait to see it..but then it said NOT IN THE DEMO....
i can't wait to check out the other camps..
i play the demo fine..no problems..i do have stutters and that's sick on a
Amd1ghz with 512 ram and gf2 pro but apart from that..i'm used to the controls and everything...nothing wrong ...
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:24 pm
Neonlite
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I too played the demo to death and bought the game as soon at is it hit the shelves at mny local Electronics Boutique. I play it daily and am loving it more than any game in a very long time. As far as immersion, I have not seen a world so alive nor a game that makes me feel like I'm really in it more than this one. Maybe Ultima Ascension... I am partial to 3D RPGs and am enjoying this game as much as any I've played. I haven't seen the lame ending I am hearing about, but I can't believe it could be worse than Drakan and I played that throufgh 3 times because the gameplay was so much fun! Don't listen to the naysayers. If you liked the demo, you'll love the game, too.
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:52 pm
bigkabuto
High Emperor
High Emperor

This is what i wanted to hear..someone who thinks about gothic exactly the same as me..yeah the demo was/is incredible...i love the day/night setting and everything that happens in the camps and everywhere..i was never much of a RPG fan but this game makes it worth it
Post Tue Dec 04, 2001 6:01 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Gothic is very good, and a masterpiece.

In no other game you have this much freedom, and the freedom really gives you a chance of 'roleplaying' your character.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 3:22 am
propellerhead
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

This game is addicting. 2 days and no sleep. I like to explore everything.
Post Sat Dec 08, 2001 7:28 am
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i enjoy this game also, but am not impressed with the ai. i can enter any shack that i want; if i am caught i can turn right back around and re-enter the shack as soon as the npc returns to his pre-set position (i.e. on a bench or wherever). also, you can dish out abuse all over the place and other npcs don't seem to mind at all. for example, i can beat the hell out of bloodwyn and then run off, when i return his buddies don't seem to give a crap. don't get me wrong, i enjoy this game but think that a few improvements could have been made. especially with lock-picking & pick-pocket skills that are totally worthless.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:49 pm
Xandrius
Village Leader
Village Leader

Every guy who says Gothic is not a masterpiece of RPG had not play it or is not a fan of RPG.
Gothic is at the moment the BEST RPG (imo the best game) in the world.
There are no games with better atmosphere, more details, better Story, better graphics, more freedom.

Have fun!
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:06 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Im impressed with the AI in that way that NPCs going around and have a "life on their own". They can catch up eachother, and start a discussion, standing there for a short while and chatting about nothing.
They sit down by the campfire for awhile, resting, then stands up and walks around again... They go to work, they return... Etc...

Personally, I dont want the AI to stuck with the feeling that "Player bad, lets hate player for the rest of the game". Its much to often games with that kind of AI 'bugs out' and starts to hate you without reason (Like many Black Isle games).

I would include Acrobatics as rather useless.

Also, becouse of the order of the events within the game game, you will probably not join New Camp as your first choice, since you probably already given the list to Diego once you reached the new camp. Normal hard-core-rpg-dudes makes sure to solve as many missions as possible in one place before going to the next. That include going to the mine and give the list to Diego before even reaching New Camp =(

Then its sad that you have so little freedom of changing camps, specially if you choosed Sect Camp to become a mage and to late realise your major mistake. =(

Well, no game can be perfect. =)

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:25 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

I too have played the demo to death. I bought the game awhile back from Dragon.ca and am waiting patiently by the mailbox for my copy to arrive. The ending of your travels is only the accumulation of the trip. If the ending sucks, so be it, the trip to the ending will be worth it.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 7:30 pm
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

It's been a long time since i last played game like this, game that kept me playing hour after hour, even bugs didn't bother me.
Luckily i saved just before hitting that 5th heart, so now i can go out from that temple (meatbug spell), just for kicking those ahole characters that i hated So if you liked the demo, then you'll know what you get from full game.
Thief and Blade of Darkness were other games that i've played a lot, but i think Gothic is far better than those

Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 8:12 pm
txiabxyooj
Fox Spirit
Fox Spirit

i don't know how it can be argued that npcs "go about their daily lives." they live fairly systematic and pre-set lives; they seem to have preset locations that they will be in according to the time of day. this is not a complaint, i think as far as games to date go the world is great. but, it is misleading to make it sound like the npcs have lives of their own. they wander from point a to b, then to c and back again. also, the conversations amongst npcs are limited to about ten different lines that they love to repeat. the game is great, but not anything earth shattering.

"The origin of things, if things have an origin, cannot be revealed to me, if revealed at all, until I have travelled very far from it, and many revolutions of the sun must precede my first dawn. The light as it appears hides the candle." --Santayana
=member of the worshippers of the written word=
=member of the Non-flamers' guild=
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:20 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

txiabxyooj
----------
Ok, how does this sound:
Compared to ALL other games, the AI is so well crafted, that you sometimes belive the NPC's have a life on their own.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 10:45 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next