Which game should I get - (choice of 3)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
WookieWill
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Which game should I get - (choice of 3)

You guys are really good at giving advice on the next game to buy, so here I go with my question...

First, let me say what kind of games I like, My favorite game of all time, hands down is BG2, liked Morrowind a lot, but my pc is shit, so I couldn't play it for long...ID2 is a great game too, oh and UltimaIX was good too (despite what they all say!)...
I really didn't like DiabloII that much at all...

So it is between

1) Arx Fatalis;
2) Divine Divinity; or
3) Gothic (I missed it when this game came out)

[EDIT: I guess i should have thought of this when I first posted, but the thing I like the most about RPG's (probably what I liked the most out of BG2) is non-linearity, I love being able to go do something that takes 2 hours, that has absolutely nothing to do with the story!! call me crazy I guess...]

Last edited by WookieWill on Sat May 10, 2003 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sat May 10, 2003 2:36 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Ah, finally somebody with a tough choice!
The correct answer is: get all three. There must be a reason we have a fan site for each of them in the RPGDot network. On a good day you should get all the games for less than 50$.

As the Gothic guy here I have to recommend Gothic. Itīs relatively similar to Ultima 9. The weird controls shouldnīt be a problem if you survived Ascension.

Arx is in the spirital successor to the Ultima Underworlds. If you liked those you canīt go wrong.

DivDiv is somewhere between Ultima7 and Diablo. Immersive world combined with hack&slash.

Playing time: Arx ~40 hours, Gothic ~50 hours, DivDiv 100+ hours.
Multiplayer: none.
System recommendations:
Gothic - 1GHz, 512MB, GeForce2 GTS
Arx - more cpu power than G.
DivDiv - harmless

Itīs a matter of taste. All three games are on the same level.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 3:11 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well Im playing Gothic for the first time right now.

I played Arx right when it came out last year.

DD I played this year over 3 months.

Of those if you can only get one I think youd be happiest with DD. It has the most story, content, character abilities. Strategies.

It also has the best graphics. Now that may not make sense, its an old school isometric game something like baldurs gate. But, the graphic art is amazing. It blows IWD2 away, especially the avatar.

The other two, are sort of amaturish in comparison. Gothic characters are drawn something like FF7 characters.

Arx and gothic are 3d games with a lot in common. They both have a single character. They both have very few stats. The combat is action.
They are both in relativels small worlds. Arx is very small. Both of them together dont add up to 1/10 of morrowind island size. But they are both jam packed.
They are both mostly linear. Arx is very linear. You must do almost everything in the order prescribed, including talking to people in the right order. Gothic has an opening chapter where you wander around the prison colony doing whatever you want and beating people up and robbing them, but after around level 5 it becomes totally linear.

They both have lots of speaking in them. They both have smart NPCs that walk around and follow a schedule. Something morrowind doesnt have...
Of the two of them, I like gothic a little more. They both have orignal suprising story and are both about 7/10 on the stamar scale.

DD is 9/10 I enjoyed it more than any game made in 2002.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 4:06 am
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'd say get Arx Fatalis.

Mostly because I've played Gothic and DD (and I haven't played Arx yet), and I wasn't impressed with either of those two.

Gothic is more of an adventure game. Since you seem to enjoy RPGs, I don't think you'll like this one.

Dive Divinity is more of a drawn-out 'Diablo', with less character flexibility than Diablo 2. It's long, but pretty boring.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 7:56 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Since you seem to like games with little people running around (mind me, I didn't like most Infinity-engine games), Divinity would have been my first choice for you, but then I re-read and you said you liked Morrowind, just couldn't play it.
If you liked Morrowind you should get either Gothic or Arx. It depends on which genre you prefer... if you like dungeon crawlers and a neat magic system, go for Arx. If you like open landscapes and neat NPCs, go for Gothic.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 8:29 am
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

"less character flexibility than Diablo 2"

Pray tell, where is that? You can create your character however you want. You can be a fighter with mage spells in DD. You don't get that in Diablo.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 8:33 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Gorath is right: get all three! If you can only get one I'd decide whether I ultimately prefer 2D iso or 1st/3rd person 3D.

If the choice is 3D then I'd go for Gothic; Arx is good game but I think it has more "drawbacks" than Gothic. Arx is entirely linear and doesn't even have dialogue choices (I still like it!) while the 1st chapter of Gothic is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. Gothic sets the standard for a "living" world.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 8:58 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

If you can buy only one, get Gothic.
Post Sat May 10, 2003 4:49 pm
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

Gothic, no wuestion about it. The others are good, but nothing will ever beat Gothic, excluding its succesors.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 12:32 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Gothic of course! Neither Arx or Divinity are very good IMO.
Post Sun May 11, 2003 3:30 pm
ShadowWolfe
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Location: In the northern mountains of the western continent.

gothic is the best of the three... its actual roleplaying dont worry about stats they are all there but you can go out and hunt for days and return and sell your skins you took from animals or you can just wander around and have a blast. Imho its the best choice but why not try the demos of each?

.: Amd XP 2700+
.: Geforce FX 5900 Ultra
.: 1024mb DDr pc2700
.: 120GB UDMA 7200 RPM 2MB WD
.: 2 LG LCD Screens @ 19" Viewing
Post Sun May 11, 2003 6:42 pm