Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Just rip of Nintendo's Zelda control scheme and be done with it
Post Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:23 pm
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

well the strafes wasnt that bad they had theyr weak and strong points in many places
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:04 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Sure it wasnt perfect. But it gave you more freedom than Gothic. You could choose to circle strafe or normal strafe.

If they used the Zelda scheme and changed it a little so you could easily switch between targets (Which was a nightmare in Zelda) and also make melee combat a little more advanced then it would be wonderful.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:55 pm
curious
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

there is no problem with strafing, its not very realistic anyhow, this isn't some military game. Gothic is nothing like zelda or rune(one of the most unrealistic games ive played) so why would you want gothic to be like them. Even if every other game is like that i would still have to state that they must be wrong, since gothic is so right.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:09 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Last time I checked, I had the ability to strafe....
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:11 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

First I must say you did an outstanding job with Gothic1,2......

The talk is about strafing but I don't really care much about that cause it's ( for the moment ) useless.
The thing that bothers me the most is when you are in a small place like a cave and you're fighting several enemyes. You can attach only one and that leads to something strange. You are locked on a targed. The problem I had was that I moved back the first time, all fine, but then the monster went around me ( strafed ) and I wanted to move back in the same way I did before, but because I was locken on a targed I went back the way opposite of the monster making me walk into a trap ( for example into a wall ) If I would move back independadly of the targed, I would move torwards the exit, but instead I moved to a corner where I had no choice... I was killed... Do you understand my problem ?
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 8:02 pm
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

The combat would be slightly improved if when swinging your sword you're able to hit all enemies in the path of it's swing, rather than just the one you're locked onto. It is a little disappointing when you see your blade go through numerous enemies while only damaging the one you've targeted.

It would also be cool if when your dexterity or bow/crossbow skill is maxed certain arrows or bolts would go straight through your target, and possibly hitting any behind it. It could be considered the "critical" hit for ranged weapons. This would inspire a new strategy whereas players would try to shoot from an angle with a higher probability of killing two creatures with only one arrow/bolt. (...two birds with one stone.) Let's not forget about the spraying blood as the arrow/bolt exits the opposite side of the body.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity

Last edited by SirDeity on Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:09 pm
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

quote:
Originally posted by |comy|
The talk is about strafing but I don't really care much about that cause it's ( for the moment ) useless.

It most definately is not useless. How else do you expects to dodge fireballs and arrows???

quote:
Originally posted by |comy|
If I would move back independadly of the targed, I would move torwards the exit, but instead I moved to a corner where I had no choice... I was killed... Do you understand my problem ?

Yes this is exactly the problem that using the Zelda style of combat would solve. Because you dont auto lock when you pull out your weapon, you have to hold a button down to lock onto someone.
Post Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:15 pm
|comy|
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Yes you're right about dodging those fireballs, but I ment more in a practical way of using the strafe command similar to FPS meaning it would be usefull even while walking.
just a silence gone bad
something I will never hide
this urging need to

invite the darkside in
into my haven
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 9:17 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

hmm there could be an option made that u can put on usual strafes and gothic strafes
Post Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:11 pm
Shmaugus
High Emperor
High Emperor

uh guys to do normal combat strafes, use g1 controls it wont go in a circle
Post Sun Aug 03, 2003 4:18 am
Archaven
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The game is cool. I would like to see improvements in graphics in g3. Make objects like trees, leaves be transparent so we can see our enemy/opponent easier during fight. Most of the time, i was being blocked by those annoying leaves in the jungle/forest.
Also, add a hotkey for keyboard that automatically highlights items on the ground. It happens to me most of the time whereby king's sorrel is just in front of me and i don't happen to see it!. Also, what's the deal that you can't see any items on the ground while you are in combat mode?
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:22 am
SirDeity
Gothic's Loyal Hero
Gothic's Loyal Hero

quote:
Originally posted by Archaven
Make objects like trees, leaves be transparent so we can see our enemy/opponent easier during fight. Most of the time, I was being blocked by those annoying leaves in the jungle/forest.

It wouldn't be very realistic to see through things. If you're fighting in the forest in real life, there isn't much you can do about trees/plants. With the auto lock feature while in combat mode, it doesn't seem like those things should effect your performance.

quote:
Also, add a hotkey for keyboard that automatically highlights items on the ground.

There is an option that highlights items. It's not something one would turn off and on frequently. It's a matter of overall gameplay preference.

quote:
It happens to me most of the time whereby king's sorrel is just in front of me and i don't happen to see it!

It sound like you don't have the option turned on. Go to your game settings and make sure the "object focus" is turned on.

quote:
Also, what's the deal that you can't see any items on the ground while you are in combat mode?

Only units you can attack will be highlighted while in combat mode. Why would you want to attack a King's Sorrel? Wouldn't you want to holster your sword before you try opening a door or bending over to pick an item up off the ground? This "deal" makes combat much easier and practical.
I am the founder and former leader of a guild in EQ, retired member of The Code in EQ, original member of KOE in AOE2, past Corporal of EVO in MOHAA, respected veteran of UT 2003, a conquerer of all decent games, and an aspiring game developer.

Gothic's Loyal Hero, SirDeity
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 1:42 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

heheh or just play like in real life and without focus turned on i allready play without it heheh
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:39 pm
Ragnar
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by SirDeity
The combat would be slightly improved if when swinging your sword you're able to hit all enemies in the path of it's swing, rather than just the one you're locked onto. It is a little disappointing when you see your blade go through numerous enemies while only damaging the one you've targeted.

I know that this is not the case with ranged weapons and magic. If you are shooting at an Ork for instance and another Ork runs in front of your targeted opponent he will take the hit. I have dropped many of my enemies this way. I would think that it woks this way with hand weapons also but I am not sure.

Sylvio
Post Tue Aug 05, 2003 4:23 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next