Gothic 2: Review @ Games Domain
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Gothic 2: Review @ Games Domain

Also on Games Domain is a <a href="http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/zones/reviews/pc/nov03/gothic_2.html" target="_blanK">review</a> of PB's/Atari's 3rd person fantasy RPG sequel 'Gothic II' which scored 3.5 out of 5 points.<blockquote><em>In the end, Gothic II is a classic with one major flaw. Or potential flaw, depending on your hand-eye coordination and tolerance level for wonky interfaces. Regardless, it's still worth a look. Especially if you're in need of a rich and well-designed alternative to the standard Dungeons & Dragons-derived RPG experience on PC, or are a first-person shooter fan looking for something different with depth.</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:01 pm
hoyp::.

Hmmm....

I guess some people just cant appreciate an rpg with reflex-based combat.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:02 pm

And I cant believe that they gave that stupid dungeon siege expansion a 4/5.
That Mike Smith guy has made some terrible reviews.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:05 pm

hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

Then again, he would probably think the same about your review, if you'd made one. C'mon, people tend to think differently, you know that...
I personally think it was about time for a lower score. Don't understand me wrong, I adore Gothic, but all it ever got so far were words of praise. There are people who don't like Gothic, and this one review is for them...
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:54 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I wasnt really complainin, it was just a thought
I actually like the 3.5/5 score on Gothic 2, although I personally would give it a 4.

Anyway, I seriously think that that Mike Smith guy (author of DS arana review, not the Gothic 2 one) has written some horrendous reviews and he doesnt care about originality and puts more emphasis on polish rather than originality and gameplay.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:42 am
Phalanx
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

seems like he spent next to no time on both games. A prejudice view, his played gothic 1 and glanced at gothic 2 for 20 mins.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:44 am

quote:
Originally posted by Phalanx
seems like he spent next to no time on both games. A prejudice view, his played gothic 1 and glanced at gothic 2 for 20 mins.

Thats not entirely fair, he probably spent something in the range of 5 to 15 hours going over the game, and the review reflects this. Also he does make some valid comments about the combat, it's not the best system and it is unforgiving. It's also overall a positive review. If your a fan (as we are) you're almost bound to have a biased opinion.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:39 pm

elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:

Thats not entirely fair, he probably spent something in the range of 5 to 15 hours going over the game, and the review reflects this. Also he does make some valid comments about the combat, it's not the best system and it is unforgiving. It's also overall a positive review. If your a fan (as we are) you're almost bound to have a biased opinion.

It is fair for the most part, but I do beleive that a game should always be completed (if possible) before it is reviewed.

By not going through the entire game, you can avoid prematurely dismissing a product. And by the same token , you prevent overrating by finding deficiencies in the game that do not prop up unless it is played at length.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:07 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
By not going through the entire game, you can avoid prematurely dismissing a product. And by the same token , you prevent overrating by finding deficiencies in the game that do not prop up unless it is played at length.

I concur. Having been in a position to review several games for a site, I must say that those that were published differed from my actual impressions after I've finished the games. The thing is, the reviews had a deadline on them...
Post Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:15 am
StarkeRealm
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I wish someone had mentioned that the quote button defalts to Guest when not logged in...

quote:
Originally posted by elkston
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous
quote:

It is fair for the most part, but I do beleive that a game should always be completed (if possible) before it is reviewed.

It was the 20 minuets line that I didn't think was fair, the reviewer didn't seem to simply take the merits of the prevous game and then blow off the remainder of the review, he certainly spent some time with the game.

And your right, a reviewer should if possible finish a game before writing a review, but sometimes things like deadlines, and branching plots get in the way, it idealy should take someone three to four times to truly fininsh Gothic II, to the satisfaction of a reviewer. Unfortunately, most magizenes and websites, won't except a month long turnaround on a game review.

Now that I've blown off my steam, and (hopefuly) clarified my posision, remember: It's just my opinion
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 9:38 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I didn't think this was a bad review. As a general comment, though, if a reviewer does not finish a game (and 5 hours is not enough), then I consider the review suspect. I don't care what the pressures of his deadlines are - it's not reliable.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:16 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life
On the Razorblade of Life

I agree with Dhruin. Plus, I suck at RT combat; my reflexes are slowing down. However, I had very little difficulty with the combat in either Gothic or G2. A little timing is all you need. I think the combat is fine. It's not just a clickfest and it's not just one click and wait. It a sense, it's far more realistic.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 10:42 am
GhanBuriGhan
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

The only problem I have with this review is that it assumes a-priori that RPGamers dislike the reflex oriented combat and that in fact it places Gothic in a line to classic RPGS with turn-based combat. That is not entirely fair, Gothic has at least as many elements of an Action Adventure game as it does of an Role-Playing game, and it should be judged on this premise. The question is not whether reflex combat is good or bad, the question is how well was the reflex-based combat implemented. And there I think Gothic does a reasonbly good job; Combat is moderately interesting, both player and character skill factor into combat success, the interface, once mastered, does not get in the way of the action, hit-and run tactics etc. are possible and the group behavior of enemies (cited as something negative in the review!) forces the player to adopt a careful, strategic approach, increasing suspense.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 11:53 am

Yeah, the reviewer obviously doesnt like reflex based rpgs so the review is a little biased.
Post Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:59 pm